Confirmed Trade: [VGK/MTL] Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd round pick, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That is BS. Poehling definitely has #2C potential. A safe middle 2 center. If you don't see this, you don't understand what kind of player Poehling is. You think he has no offensive skills which is wrong.

Every team has a Poehling? This is BS! Sho me how many young kids good enough to play NCAA as a 17 or 18 year old. He is a big strong body that can skate well and he does have some offensive skills. His draft +1 was very impressive as well.

If that's the only requirement, then yeah, a ton of teams have a Poehling equivalent prospect. A lot of teams do have 2-way center prospects with safe middle-6 upside, that's not an uncommon thing.

The Penguins have 2 of those guys in Hallander and Olund, just looking at it really quickly. You can get similar prospects to Poehling pretty easily in the 2nd round of most drafts.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If that's the only requirement, then yeah, a ton of teams have a Poehling equivalent prospect. A lot of teams do have 2-way center prospects with safe middle-6 upside, that's not an uncommon thing

Poehling played on team USA as a 18 year old and will play again this year at the World Juniors. He is not just a safe two way center. The things this kid can do and how he plays a 200' game is not matched by many prospects from across the league.

Habs have another player like Olofsson. This is a type of prospect a lot of teams have. Lets not get confused and drop Poehling's value. He is a fringe grade A prospect at this point.

Lets compare Poehling to Thomas. Thomas plays CHL and Poehling plays with men in the NCAA. Thomas has more offense but Poehling plays a more complete game and is a shut down center type. This has been his focus but in an offensive role, he also does show he has offensive skills.

I don't think you know too much about this kid to be honest

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poehling played on team USA as a 18 year old and will play again. He is not just a safe two way center. The things this kid can do and how he plays a 200' game is not matched by many prospects from across the league.

Habs have another player like Olofsson. This is a type of prospect a lot of teams have. Lets not get confused and drop Poehling's value. He is a fringe grade A prospect.

Oh boy, yikes. I mean, he's not even a PPG player in the NCAA. What makes him a better prospect than Fillip Hallander, who was a Penguins 2nd rounder this year? That's just an example, I could name other players from other teams too, Rasmus Asplund is one that jumps to mind really quickly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh boy, yikes. I mean, he's not even a PPG player in the NCAA. What makes him a better prospect than Fillip Hallander, who was a Penguins 2nd rounder this year? That's just an example, I could name other players from other teams too, Rasmus Asplund is one that jumps to mind really quickly.

Not even a pt/game player in the NCAA? Neither is Mittelstadt and he is suppose to be a more offensive type player. Heck, Mittelstadt didn't even play in the NCAA in his pre-draft year while Poehling did.

A better comparison to the players you named is Olofsson who the Habs also drafted in the 2nd round this past draft. I can name random 2nd round picks as well. Poehling was ranked mid 1st round heading into his draft year but slipped to the Habs at 25 in the 2017 draft. Why do you think? Well the concern was offense and it's hard to judge for a 17/18 year old playing his pre-draft year in the NCAA. 17/18 year olds in their pre-draft year don't play NCAA too often. What happened after his draft year? He played his 2nd NCAA year and got similar stats to Mittelstadt who is suppose to be more offensive.

Naming random 2nd round picks means nothing. Poehling is a 1st round pick who has develop well in his draft +1 year. His focus is playing a 200' game and his offensive ceiling is unknown.

Reactions: ottawa

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Poehling was one of the best players in NCAA in his Draft +1. Thats usually an indication of a very good prospect.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not even a pt/game player in the NCAA? Neither is Mittelstadt and he is suppose to be a more offensive type player. Heck, Mittelstadt didn't even play in the NCAA in his pre-draft year while Poehling did.

I thought Poehling was a 2016 draft pick for some reason, that was my mistake. I saw his 2016-2017 season and thought it was his draft+1 year, not his draft year. But that's still beside the point that it's crazy to call Poehling a borderline A prospect. He's not an A prospect any more than Hallander, Asplund or even Olofsson is. And if you don't like those examples, can I use Kostin instead? He was an even bigger faller in the 2017 draft than Poehling was, who was taken in the middle range of where he fell in most mock drafts.

Maybe it's just a difference of what an A prospect is, but having a good season after your draft year doesn't make someone an A prospect. Robert Thomas isn't an A prospect. Shane Bowers isn't an A prospect. For me to say someone is an A prospect, they either needed to be super highly regarded going into their draft or have an absolutely incredible draft+1 season. When I say "absolutely incredible", I mean what Tolvanen did last year in the KHL. I'm honestly even iffy on calling on calling Cody Glass an A prospect, he's a guy I'd put in the category of a "borderline A prospect".

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If that's the only requirement, then yeah, a ton of teams have a Poehling equivalent prospect. A lot of teams do have 2-way center prospects with safe middle-6 upside, that's not an uncommon thing.

The Penguins have 2 of those guys in Hallander and Olund, just looking at it really quickly. You can get similar prospects to Poehling pretty easily in the 2nd round of most drafts.

By no means am I saying Poehling will for certain be a top 6 center, but going almost a point per game in the NCAA, whilst being relied upon in defensive scenarios as an 18/19 year old to me means legitimate second line potential.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Poehling was a 2016 draft pick for some reason, that was my mistake. I saw his 2016-2017 season and thought it was his draft+1 year, not his draft year. But that's still beside the point that it's crazy to call Poehling a borderline A prospect. He's not an A prospect any more than Hallander, Asplund or even Olofsson is. And if you don't like those examples, can I use Kostin instead? He was an even bigger faller in the 2017 draft than Poehling was, who was taken in the middle range of where he fell in most mock drafts.

Maybe it's just a difference of what an A prospect is, but having a good season after your draft year doesn't make someone an A prospect. Robert Thomas isn't an A prospect. Shane Bowers isn't an A prospect. For me to say someone is an A prospect, they either needed to be super highly regarded going into their draft or have an absolutely incredible draft+1 season. When I say "absolutely incredible", I mean what Tolvanen did last year in the KHL. I'm honestly even iffy on calling on calling Cody Glass an A prospect, he's a guy I'd put in the category of a "borderline A prospect".

If that isn't sarcasm you just lost a lot of credibility in judging propsects, Thomas is pretty Universally considered a Blue Chip prospect at this point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that isn't sarcasm you just lost a lot of credibility in judging propsects, Thomas is pretty Universally considered a Blue Chip prospect at this point.

I never said Thomas wasn't a great prospect, I said I don't consider him an A prospect. I said what I consider A prospects, I don't consider many prospects true A prospects.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So he's not even a 1st line winger anymore in VGK!

Hard to believe guys like Wild Bill, March and Smith were considered rejects just a couple of years ago, and if someone told you Patches would be playing behind them in a teams' depth chart, you would be laughed at instantly.

Chemistry, yeah ok sure, but Patches with Statsny should be above those guys in all sane worlds but this one.

Reactions: Grabner

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So he's not even a 1st line winger anymore in VGK!

Hard to believe guys like Wild Bill, March and Smith were considered rejects just a couple of years ago, and if someone told you Patches would be playing behind them in a teams' depth chart, you would be laughed at instantly.

Chemistry, yeah ok sure, but Patches with Statsny should be above those guys in all sane worlds but this one.

Like a lot of top end offensive teams, they have 2 first lines.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never said Thomas wasn't a great prospect, I said I don't consider him an A prospect. I said what I consider A prospects, I don't consider many prospects true A prospects.

A bit of difference in your perception vs others. An A prospect is a player who is a projected top 4D or top 6 forward as a base. A blue chip prospect is a top 2D and 1st line forward. That's how I see it anyways.

Thomas to me is a Grade A prospect. Poehling is a fringe Grade A prospect. He is a safe middle 2 center prospect and most who know him well, would agree.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A bit of difference in your perception vs others. An A prospect is a player who is a projected top 4D or top 6 forward as a base. A blue chip prospect is a top 2D and 1st line forward. That's how I see it anyways.

Thomas to me is a Grade A prospect. Poehling is a fringe Grade A prospect. He is a safe middle 2 center prospect and most who know him well, would agree.

Okay it's just a difference of vocabulary then. My ranking usually goes:

A+: Elite player upside or higher, limited to guys like McDavid and Crosby
A: Franchise player upside, guys like Tavares and Eichel
A-: Near franchise player upside, above average 1st liners but not quite at the franchise player level. Kuznetsov jumps out as a perfect example of this.
B+: Average 1st liner upside, this is the highest level that I'd put guys like Sprong, Kyrou and Thomas
B: Top-6 upside, can be either a 1st or 2nd liner. A lot of 1st rounders fall in this category, Poehling falls here for me
B-: 2nd line upside without much of a chance of 1st line upside

This is just for forwards, but you can amend those for D and goalies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Poehling was one of the best players in NCAA in his Draft +1. Thats usually an indication of a very good prospect.

It's funny how high Hab fans were on Poehling 6 months ago, now that they've got Suzuki and Kotkaniemi it's almost like he's yesterday's news.

Out of sight out of mind I guess.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

A-: Near franchise player upside, above average 1st liners but not quite at the franchise player level. Kuznetsov jumps out as a perfect example of this.
B+: Average 1st liner upside, this is the highest level that I'd put guys like Sprong, Kyrou and Thomas
B: Top-6 upside, can be either a 1st or 2nd liner. A lot of 1st rounders fall in this category, Poehling falls here for me

It's too definitive. Prospects are just way to hard to project. There is the Blue Chip guys, the Group behind them, and then the fringe NHL players where some will disappoint and surprise. How can you predict a definite outcome so fine for a prospect? Do you have a crystal ball? A better prediction is a range (Ceiling and Base).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's too definitive. Prospects are just way to hard to project. There is the Blue Chip guys, the Group behind them, and then the fringe NHL players where some will disappoint and surprise. How can you predict a definite outcome so fine for a prospect? Do you have a crystal ball? A better prediction is a range (Ceiling and Base).

I never said I could predict a definite outcome? You can make educated guesses based on how a prospect performs and adjust accordingly, you know. I basically do the same thing that HF used to do with their prospect rankings, I just use letters to denote upside and ignore likelihood of upside. You seem mad because I just have a more defined way of rating prospects rather than just broad categories.

Players can change those groups too, Sprong wasn't a B+ prospect until he tore apart the Q in 2016-2017. Thomas wasn't a B+ level prospect when he was drafted.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think your rankings jive that well with the way most others rank prospects.

But even under your rankings, Thomas is absolutely an A- prospect.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think your rankings jive that well with the way most others rank prospects.

But even under your rankings, Thomas is absolutely an A- prospect.

I can't put anyone on that upside until they've done something at the professional level, whether it be in Europe or in NA. Tearing apart the OHL as a draft+1 player is good, but it's just the OHL. I can't put a guy at a A- rankings just for having a great draft+1 season, when he was a mid-1st rounder a year ago and ranked to go in the mid 1st round. I can't put him on the same level that I have Heiskanen, Tolvanen and Glass, I can't do that based on 1 terrific OHL season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I can't put anyone on that upside until they've done something at the professional level, whether it be in Europe or in NA. Tearing apart the OHL as a draft+1 player is good, but it's just the OHL. I can't put a guy at a A- rankings just for having a great draft+1 season, when he was a mid-1st rounder a year ago and ranked to go in the mid 1st round. I can't put him on the same level that I have Heiskanen, Tolvanen and Glass, I can't do that based on 1 terrific OHL season.

That limitation pretty much means you can't ever have A ranked players.

And if you can't have Thomas as A-, then you shouldn't have Glass their either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That limitation pretty much means you can't ever have A ranked players.

What why? That's just completely wrong. Petersen is an A ranked prospect off the top of my head. Hischier, Matthews and Eichel were A ranked prospects when they were drafted too.

And if you can't have Thomas as A-, then you shouldn't have Glass their either.

Glass has had way more success in juniors, was drafted way higher and had a much better pedigree when drafted. Those two aren't comparable, Glass is the better prospect.

Thomas put up 27 less points than Glass did last year and 28 less points the year before. Even if you take it by PPG, Glass was still better last year (Thomas had a pace of 98 points in 62 games, Glass had 102 points in 62 games) and was way better the year before.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
LOL is this even a serious reply? oh hes not a ppg guy in the NCAA, he must be trash lol /s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad