Claimed off Waivers: [VGK] Knights claim Malcolm Subban (BOS)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Vegas could waive him if they want to sent him to Chicago but I think they'd to offer him back to Boston first. If that happened (And I understand the process correctly) Boston could reclaim him and then send him to Providence as planned without sending him back through waivers for a third time.

If they're the only team to claim him...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If they're the only team to claim him...
Not true, they have priority over other teams since he was claimed off their waivers. He would not have to clear again to be sent down by Boston, but would if another team claimed him(and Boston didn't).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not true, they have priority over other teams since he was claimed off their waivers. He would not have to clear again to be sent down by Boston, but would if another team claimed him(and Boston didn't).

No, Boston has no waiver claim priority on Subban just because another team claimed him on waivers. This is one of those HFB myths that reappears season after season.

And it's also not correct that Boston could just send Subban down if they successfully claimed him. As the post you quoted explains, Boston could only do that if they were the sole team to submit a waiver claim.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No, Boston has no waiver claim priority on Subban. This is one of those HFB myths that reappears season after season.

And it's also not correct that Boston could just send Subban down if they successfully claimed him. As the post you quoted explains, Boston could on do that if they were the only team to submit a waiver claim.
Oh my bad, I was just basing it off Frk and the myth being purported last season I guess. So it's just normal waiver order then.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is everyone so sure Boston would reclaim him? Left him exposed in the Expansion draft, and didn't make a trade to make sure he wasn't picked, which likely means his value is not as high as some would believe. And now he isn't good enough/ready to beat out Anton Khudobin for the backup spot. If they were truly worried about losing a really good prospect here, they would have either waived Khudobin or traded one or them.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Why is everyone so sure Boston would reclaim him? Left him exposed in the Expansion draft, and didn't make a trade to make sure he wasn't picked, which likely means his value is not as high as some would believe. And now he isn't good enough/ready to beat out Anton Khudobin for the backup spot. If they were truly worried about losing a really good prospect here, they would have either waived Khudobin or traded one or them.

To be honest, Subban is also behind McIntyre. 1. Rask 2. Khudobin / McIntyre 4. Subban. Losing Subban = major meh.

Reactions: Oddbob

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Subban has been just awful in the NHL. I know he hasn't had a lot of chances up there but he hasn't exactly shown he's able to step up. I just can't see him being anything more than an AHL starter.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Bruins preferred Khudobin over their 2 young tenders so that pretty much tell you what they thought of M.Subban playing 20-25 games behind Rask.

take it from an isles fan , speculating if this means pickard is being shopped will make your head hurt (so do the ww rules haha)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
After LTIR gets sorted, they will have zero cap issues. Hardly a need unless they have other moves coming

I'm pretty sure LTIR cap space can't be used to pay performance bonuses. If by the last day of the season the Leafs have spent 76 mil against the cap, with 1 mil being LTIR money, all of the performance bonuses earned would roll over into next year.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
McPhee said in a press conference that Subban isn't yet ready for the NHL but he will remain on the NHL roster

giphy.gif

Shipachyov, Theodore, and Tuch will toil away in the AHL because he hasn't been able to clear the logjam of defenders and we tie up a roster spot on a guy who should be in the AHL. I've tried defending GMGM but I'm stunned beyond words.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
McPhee said in a press conference that Subban isn't yet ready for the NHL but he will remain on the NHL roster

giphy.gif

Shipachyov, Theodore, and Tuch will toil away in the AHL because he hasn't been able to clear the logjam of defenders and we tie up a roster spot on a guy who should be in the AHL. I've tried defending GMGM but I'm stunned beyond words.

Let's wait to see what he does in the next two days. I really doubt Shipachyov(and to a lesser extent Theodore and Tuch) will be in the AHL for very long. I suspect we'll see a move or two in the upcoming days. Maybe he packages Pickard and a defenseman for something.
Maybe he liked Subban but felt like Miller was the better choice and decided to take a chance on him anyway. Pickard has higher value than Subban, maybe he feels like he could get something done.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

giphy.gif

Theodore and Shipachyov are likely only in the minors because they were waiver eligible. The Jackets did the same with Wennberg last year, he was down for less than 24 hours.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Theodore and Shipachyov are likely only in the minors because they were waiver eligible. The Jackets did the same with Wennberg last year, he was down for less than 24 hours.
I understand why they're down. What I don't understand is why when asked what will be done about Theodore, Shipachyov, and Tuch being in the minors he says "I don't know". Either he's incompetent or he lacks the tact to say "we're working on getting them back in our lineup and we will make the moves necessary to ice the strongest team possible." or something of the like. I'm going with the latter because I'm sure these guys will be back up eventually. But the statement that Subban will stay with the the team instead of going back to the AHL is troublesome when the roster is already cramped as is. Idk. I just get the sense he's waiting for teams to develop a need for NHL ready bottom pair talent on defense to clear the roster properly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I understand why they're down. What I don't understand is why when asked what will be done about Theodore, Shipachyov, and Tuch being in the minors he says "I don't know". Either he's incompetent or he lacks the tact to say "we're working on getting them back in our lineup and we will make the moves necessary to ice the strongest team possible." or something of the like. I'm going with the latter because I'm sure these guys will be back up eventually. But the statement that Subban will stay with the the team instead of going back to the AHL is troublesome when the roster is already cramped as is. Idk. I just get the sense he's waiting for teams to develop a need for NHL ready bottom pair talent on defense to clear the roster properly.

I'm sure he's just trying to not appear desperate to move a player.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island

giphy.gif

McPhee must have spent a bit too much time in Garth's basement with Cappy.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Why did Vegas claim Subban?
Why did Vegas send Shipacyhov down?
Why did Vegas draft a crappy team when the rules were meant to make them competitive?

All these questions have the same answer...George McPhee is a crappy GM.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

giphy.gif

I'd imagine Shipachyov is up for their first game. At the very least, second. Depends on moving a defenseman. McPhee horribly botched the expansion draft, though, by overplaying his hand.

As for keeping Subban up even though he clearly isn't ready... what a dummy.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
McPhee said something along the lines of 'if [the Subban acquisition] doesn't work out, it was worth a try'. Oh man.

Why did Vegas claim Subban?
Why did Vegas send Shipacyhov down?
Why did Vegas draft a crappy team when the rules were meant to make them competitive?

All these questions have the same answer...George McPhee is a crappy GM.

I can answer the 3rd question. He was looking primarily for 21 year olds and high draft picks to build around so they could have a decent shot at drafting a guy like Dahlin, instead of picking up 23-26 year olds, fighting for a wild card, missing out on potentially one of the best young Dmen in the game, and then watching his roster either demand top dollar or leave as UFAs in 2-4 years and ruin the franchise right out of the gate. That would be monumentally stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad