Post-Game Talk: VGK 5 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think we have a couple of months to see if this team has any chance to make the playoffs, if not it's time to start moving some of the deadwood D men.. Schmidt and Pionk still have a year left and will be tough to move without adding, Dillon and DeMelo are UFA, Stanley has requested a trade in the past.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Totally agree, don't really know what Arneil was thinking there. If anything Appleton should have been at the end of the bench not moved to the front.
It's funny in a sad way how folks in here react to coaching decisions.

One week, everyone complains because their favourite young player made a bad mistake and the coach benched him. How is he going to develop if one mistake gets you benched?

Next week, the complaints are that someone made a bad mistake and was allowed back in the game or even, much worse, moved up to a better line because he's been scoring and the better players haven't.

Reactions: Dale53130

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

One week, everyone complains because their favourite young player made a bad mistake and the coach benched him. How is he going to develop if one mistake gets you benched?

Next week, the complaints are that someone made a bad mistake and was allowed back in the game or even, much worse, moved up to a better line because he's been scoring and the better players haven't.

Mason Appleton isn't a prospect who's expected to improve a bunch. I think it's valid that people complain about not enough leash being given to upcoming prospects, and too much leash for vets and guys who are perceived as being reliable in particular roles.

Reactions: surixon and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

We just tied the game up and were taking over the play and Appleton takes a 4 minute penalty 19 seconds after we tied it and boom its 3-1 and all the momentum gone. And it was a lazy penalty to boot. I don't care who it was that did that, could have been Connor or Scheifele and i would have sat them at the end of the bench for a while ,not give them more minutes. But that's just me and I'm not a NHL coach for some reason.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
We just tied the game up and were taking over the play and Appleton takes a 4 minute penalty 19 seconds after we tied it and boom its 3-1 and all the momentum gone. And it was a lazy penalty to boot. I don't care who it was that did that, could have been Connor or Scheifele and i would have sat them at the end of the bench for a while ,not give them more minutes. But that's just me and I'm not a NHL coach for some reason.
I understand your logic.

But Appleton was sitting in the penalty box when Pionk and Samberg let their goalie fire it up to our blue line on a change. It wasn't Appleton who let their forward go in on Hellebuyck uncontested.

Appleton was sitting in the penalty box when Pieterangelo took a shot and the big rebound came out to Barbashev who was uncovered because Gus-Gus ignored him and moved to check a man already covered.

My logic would be to bench Samberg and not a player who is third on our team in points and also a +1. But I don't have the knowledge and experience of most of you here who insist that plus/minus is a meaningless statistic.

Reactions: Dale53130

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Could partly explain some of the brain cramps we've seen the last couple of games.

I can totally understand the difficulty of concentrating after losing a close personal friend. In my early 20’s I lost my best friend in a motor vehicle accident. It shook me up for weeks and I can’t imagine how hard it would be to concentrate on such a difficult thing as being a professional hockey player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad