Post-Game Talk: VGK 5 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, you have to give it to Vegas as they are a damn good team firing on full cylinders. They punished us for every little mistake with a grade A chance against. Our issues were once again poor special teams. Our PK was absolutely atrocious and some players like Lowry making dumb decisions to shoot for the corner on a 2 on 1 while shorthanded. The PP got a goal and had a few more wrinkles and yes I know he got a primary point on the goal with a nice high tip, but Cole is arguably the teams best passer. The pecking order is preventing us from using him in a role that is more suited to his skill set. Mark ain't a PP QB, we have 3 years of data that shows it. What he is is a world class bumper player. I don't give two shits if he doesn't like it, he needs to go back there.

Vegas also clearly did their homework and was able to get a man in behind our d all game and they opened the lanes to spring them. That lead directly to 3 goals against. I'm disappointed that our coaching was not able to change tactics to combat that play. Our coverage was also lacking on the trailer, and we changed very sloppy.

Helle: He was Hung out dry on those goals and the Vegas players made picture perfect shots the corners. Not his fault on any goal save maybe the rebound one.

JoMo/DeMelo: I'm really surprised that both these players got victimized on that seam pass. They are usually good at keeping the opposition in front of them. JoMo outside of that was solid but I found DeMelo had a rough game.

Pionk/Dillon: Pionk amd Dillon were mediocre

Schmidt/Snerg: Snerg played fine imo but had an unfortunate break on that 4th goal. Schmidt was a disaster. He's looking pretty close to done. When is Ville due back?

Top line: I thought they looked a lot better. They generated a number of good looks in the ozone and despite Conner giving the puck away in their end a lot they didn't give up a tonne I thought. I'm fine with today's performance. I didn't think the Appelton change made a lot of sense.

Second line: Had a quieter game after a couple big games. Vegas took away their time and space so they had more trouble moving the puck. Still they had a couple of good looks that Namestnikov couldn't cash on. Cole got better as the game went on as he adapted to Vegas's pressure. Ehlers was ok but was back to spraying shots from everywhere instead of holding it like Arniel discusses. I think the Namestnikov at center experiment has come close to running its course. He's not producing in that role and Cole is confident. A game like today also shows that Perfetti and Ehlers could use a bigger player to create some space for them against an opponent like a vegas.

Third line: They played well as they can match Vegas's play style. Thought Nino was excellent again. Lowry was good outside of some brain farts.

Fourth line: Barron has been a no-show for a while now imo. Gus has been making a strong case to stay in the lineup. Kupar was solid. This line misses Namestnikov imo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
we had 13 high danger chances to their 5...

I think that count is misleading as theirs were extremely dangerous. But in the end they capitalized with clinical finishing and we didn't.

Jets feel comfortable in the mushy middle, I hope our prospects hit but our D needs major work and we don't have much in the pipeline

Ville in for Schmidt would be a good start, but we need to trade for an upgrade on Pionk. There is too much pressure on JoMo to carry this dcore.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think that count is misleading as theirs were extremely dangerous. But in the end they capitalized with clinical finishing and we didn't.

It is misleading to some extent, the expected goals were a lot closer and being down for most of the game means score effects. It was pretty flat after Appleton took the double minor. No idea what they were thinking promoting him after that.

There was push back but special teams have killed the Jets.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Stayed up for the whole game after eating some Halloween candy. Nice to have my internet back up and running. Wish the results were different for the Jets, but special teams win or lose a hockey game. I give the game two Internets out of five...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Jets 1.0 has been posted for your guesses. Thanks @Jets 31 for making the GDT for tonight's yesterday night's game. I have a leftover GDT from last year to post for the game against Arizona. See you on Saturday. Good night...

Mac_Asleep.jpg

None

Feb 22, 2012
For all the talk of Namestnikov opening up space for Ehlers and Perfetti it felt more like he was hanging them out to dry with Ehlers constantly being the highest forward. He's playing way above his head centering that line I think.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
For all the talk of Namestnikov opening up space for Ehlers and Perfetti it felt more like he was hanging them out to dry with Ehlers constantly being the highest forward. He's playing way above his head centering that line I think.
he's someone that should only fill in for a game or 2, just like iaffalo on the top line

Reactions: surixon and Jets 31

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well they won the cup pretty easily last year and they are looking like the best team in the league this year again.

However

Its a long season

Maybe injuries derail them.

Thank god we only have to play them one more time this season
Oopsie, daisy. You forgot the asterisk next to *won the cup.

It’s important to note the last legitimate Cup winner was the 2013-14 Los Angeles Kings, and any “winners” since then should be denoted with asterisks, for accuracy.

None

Feb 22, 2012
he's someone that should only fill in for a game or 2, just like iaffalo on the top line

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to think but it's clear that Namestnikov isn't Patrice Bergeron and I'd much rather have Ehlers put in a position to score than having to cover defensively for Namestnikov.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets don't have Special teams they have shity teams, that has to get fixed in a hurry somehow. Schmidt needs to sit for a while, time to give someone else a shot. I do like our 5 on 5 play though but its almost automatic if we take a penalty we are getting scored on. Lets start a new points streak on Saturday.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It is misleading to some extent, the expected goals were a lot closer and being down for most of the game means score effects. It was pretty flat after Appleton took the double minor. No idea what they were thinking promoting him after that.

There was push back but special teams have killed the Jets.

Agreed, a less senior player finds his butt on the bench after that. He gets a promotion lol.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree with you both. He's not a legit second line caliber player and his lack of that skill level impacts that line. His defense is also not needed with Cole there and he and fly can drive play. He's got one point in the 7 games since moving to 2C. That isn't good enough. I'd be looking to transition Cole back to C over the next few weeks. I'd also play Iafallo with them once Vilardi is back.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
we had 13 high danger chances to their 5...
Look, ever since I saw his interview I feel safe to say that I think as a person Helley is a pretty phenomenal guy. He seems like a kind and thoughtful intelligent person. But his goaltending this year has been horse shit outside of maybe two games. He has to raise it to a much higher level if we're going to make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
5v5 they're OK. Not good but not disastrous.

The issue is, as many have stated, the special teams on both ends are God awful.

The defence is clearly a weak spot. Consistently got caught out for X on 0 rushes, slow skating, they can't make a zone exit pass to save their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad