Post-Game Talk: VGK 5 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They must have scored on all their high danger chances. I cannot believe Vegas is this good after only a few years in the league sinething is not right!

Their high danger chances almost all included a wide open path to the net by multiple players with no defenceman in sight.

Reactions: Inanna and surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree with you both. He's not a legit second line caliber player and his lack of that skill level impacts that line. His defense is also not needed with Cole there and he and fly can drive play. He's got one point in the 7 games since moving to 2C. That isn't good enough. I'd be looking to transition Cole back to C over the next few weeks. I'd also play Iafallo with them once Vilardi is back.
I saw Names as the only guy on that line that could play anything close to a physical game against a team that likes to pressure and play the body -
Names is getting tossed under the bus for some reason -
Would it be nice to have a better #2C - sure - but we don't unless your pining for Cole being moved back.
Wouldn't have mattered last night - Cole struggled with the pace Vegas plays - and the reason he didn't have a lot of room is that he can't create it when playing against a fast team that doesn't give you a lot of time.
If anything, the line needs more size - that would be the only reason I would look at moving any of them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ten games in and a 4-4-2 record is ok given some of the issues the team has had.

Positives through 10 games:
-5 on 5 play and scoring
-The team wanted depth scoring and they are getting it with 7 forwards pacing 49 or more points. This is with Ehlers slow start and Vilardi's injury. I expect both to be in that range. So it isn't out of the question that we have everyone in the top 9 pacing above 40 this year.
-Scheifele's production bouncing back to bear ppg levels
-JoMo still playing like a high end number 1 dmen
-Perfetti establishing himself as a legit two way top 6 forward

Negatives:
-Special teams are both in bottom 5
-Goaltending has not been good (28th in save percentage)
-Not getting offense from our d outside top pairing.

When I look at it through the lens that the team is in the bottom 5 in special teams and goaltending I have to think there really is nowhere to go but up. We stayed very much in the fight the first 10 games which bonds well. I have no reason to believe Helle won't get his game to where he usually has it and I expect to see improvements in special teams.

I saw Names as the only guy on that line that could play anything close to a physical game against a team that likes to pressure and play the body -
Names is getting tossed under the bus for some reason -
Would it be nice to have a better #2C - sure - but we don't unless your pining for Cole being moved back.
Wouldn't have mattered last night - Cole struggled with the pace Vegas plays - and the reason he didn't have a lot of room is that he can't create it when playing against a fast team that doesn't give you a lot of time.
If anything, the line needs more size - that would be the only reason I would look at moving any of them.

I'm talking in general, not just about last night. And I even mentioned in my game summary post Cole and Ehlers could have used a player with size to create space foe them last night against Vegas. But yes a good learning experience for Cole against a very positonally sound and aggressive team.

Last edited:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
5v5 they're OK. Not good but not disastrous.

The issue is, as many have stated, the special teams on both ends are God awful.

The defence is clearly a weak spot. Consistently got caught out for X on 0 rushes, slow skating, they can't make a zone exit pass to save their lives.
I think this is a bit of cope with all respect. It seems like the defense has been the whipping boy of this organization for a long time. But to me if the high dangerous scoring chances are heavily slanted in our favor and we still lose the hockey game by several goals goaltending deserves the spotlight. Thompson did an amazing job last night and our guy didn't. It's not hate it's just what's happening

Reactions: Inanna

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think this is a bit of cope with all respect. It seems like the defense has been the whipping boy of this organization for a long time. But to me if the high dangerous scoring chances are heavily slanted in our favor and we still lose the hockey game by several goals goaltending deserves the spotlight. Thompson did an amazing job last night and our guy didn't. It's not hate it's just what's happening

Team save % is 28th in the league. Our goalies havent been remotely good enough. Neither has our special teams.

Team scoring is mid table despite a crappy PP so it's not really offense that's the issue.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Ten games in and a 4-4-2 record is ok given some of the issues the team has had.

Positives through 10 games:
-5 on 5 play and scoring
-The team wanted depth scoring and they are getting it with 7 forwards pacing 49 or more points. This is with Ehlers slow start and Vilardi's injury. I expect both to be in that range. So it isn't out of the question that we have everyone in the top 9 pacing above 40 this year.
-Scheifele's production bouncing back to bear ppg levels
-JoMo still playing like a high end number 1 dmen
-Perfetti establishing himself as a legit Teo way top 6 forward

Negatives:
-Special teams are both in bottom 5
-Goaltending has not been good (28th in save percentage)
-Not getting offense from our d outside top pairing.

When I look at it through the lens that the team is in the bottom 5 in special teams and goaltending I have to think there really is nowhere to go but up. We stayed very much in the fight the first 10 games which bonds well. I have no reason to believe Helle won't get his game to where he usually has it and I expect to see improvements in special teams.

I'm talking in general, not just about last night. And I even mentioned in my game summary post Cole and Ehlers could have used a player with size to create space foe them last night against Vegas. But yes a good learning experience for Cole against a very positonally sound and aggressive team.
I was referring to this game (considering this is a PGT)
Ehlers needs to use his speed to create space - he didn't and doesn't for some reason this season - I see that as a major issue on the line and a lot more so than anything that Names is doing out there.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
IMO the Jets play lazy physically and mentally for too many stretches. Lazy line change leads to a goal. lazy back checking and lazy awareness on where opponents are in the Jets zone leads to goals.

There has been some real positives so far, but the lazy play, special teams, and goaltending (shocker) are sinking the team.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'm not disagreeing with the goaltending needing to be better this year. Hellebuyck looked bad to start, better lately. Last night I struggle to blame him for any of the goals individually but he's already paid like a goalie who should be stopping a couple of those that average goalies wouldn't, so he deserves some share of it.

I don't think the goalie was what concerned me the most when watching that game though. The defencemen are slow and very easily get turned. They consistently let players behind them - yes, Hellebuyck is paid to make saves but I have a hard time in the moment blaming him when Vegas has a 2 on 0, or has someone net front while the D stand around listlessly.

I also don't need to mention that a team in the bottom 3 for both PP and PK is not going to be successful.

So I don't necessarily disagree that better goaltending is needed but I think it's way too simplistic to boil it down to that. The team has several glaring issues. I'm more confident that Hellebuyck can turn it around than the team in front of him right now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers needs to use his speed to create space - he didn't and doesn't for some reason this season - I see that as a major issue on the line and a lot more so than anything that Names is doing out there.

Ehlers imo lost some of his explosiveness with that surgery. I think he's very much trying to reinvent himself as a player as he likely can't play the way he used to. It will be interesting to see how his game evolves as the year goes on. Namestnikov though has to produce to keep that spot imo. He has zero points in his last 6 games.

IMO the Jets play lazy physically and mentally for too many stretches. Lazy line change leads to a goal. lazy back checking and lazy awareness on where opponents are in the Jets zone leads to goals.

There has been some real positives so far, but the lazy play, special teams, and goaltending (shocker) are sinking the team.

Coaching needs to get shift length and line changes under control.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think every goal last night against us was a clearcut open player whether it was a breakaway or not like 5 feet in front of the net.

The forward defence for picking up the slot was atrocious last night

You got to get a lead or two against teams that love to counter. Who cares about high danger chances when you are always chasing. Teams will just sit and crowd the front of the box and wait for you to make a mistake and basically that is the game nowadays

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This ain't working. Vilardi coming back isn't going to save this team, we need some bold moves. Special teams continues to fail us, and we get murdered on the rush.
We have the personel to have decent special teams, which likely would account for at least a couple more wins this season so far.

We could easily be 6-3-1 this year and fighting for top spot in the Central.

Unfortunately there's no way the Jets will make a bold move and change the coaching - but someone has to come in and totally rework the special teams scheme.

I did like how they finally started to figure it out in the second half of the game on the PP and started shooting the f***ing puck. I also liked the play where they were passing it to Iafallo on the strong side and he was taking behind the net and out the other side to feed Connor, at least they are trying. Problem with that play is the goalie isn't moving.

VGK showed exactly how to run both special teams. MOVE FFS. Don't be stationary. Be aggressive, move around.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, you have to give it to Vegas as they are a damn good team firing on full cylinders. They punished us for every little mistake with a grade A chance against. Our issues were once again poor special teams. Our PK was absolutely atrocious and some players like Lowry making dumb decisions to shoot for the corner on a 2 on 1 while shorthanded. The PP got a goal and had a few more wrinkles and yes I know he got a primary point on the goal with a nice high tip, but Cole is arguably the teams best passer. The pecking order is preventing us from using him in a role that is more suited to his skill set. Mark ain't a PP QB, we have 3 years of data that shows it. What he is is a world class bumper player. I don't give two shits if he doesn't like it, he needs to go back there.

Vegas also clearly did their homework and was able to get a man in behind our d all game and they opened the lanes to spring them. That lead directly to 3 goals against. I'm disappointed that our coaching was not able to change tactics to combat that play. Our coverage was also lacking on the trailer, and we changed very sloppy.

Helle: He was Hung out dry on those goals and the Vegas players made picture perfect shots the corners. Not his fault on any goal save maybe the rebound one.

JoMo/DeMelo: I'm really surprised that both these players got victimized on that seam pass. They are usually good at keeping the opposition in front of them. JoMo outside of that was solid but I found DeMelo had a rough game.

Pionk/Dillon: Pionk amd Dillon were mediocre

Schmidt/Snerg: Snerg played fine imo but had an unfortunate break on that 4th goal. Schmidt was a disaster. He's looking pretty close to done. When is Ville due back?

Top line: I thought they looked a lot better. They generated a number of good looks in the ozone and despite Conner giving the puck away in their end a lot they didn't give up a tonne I thought. I'm fine with today's performance. I didn't think the Appelton change made a lot of sense.

Second line: Had a quieter game after a couple big games. Vegas took away their time and space so they had more trouble moving the puck. Still they had a couple of good looks that Namestnikov couldn't cash on. Cole got better as the game went on as he adapted to Vegas's pressure. Ehlers was ok but was back to spraying shots from everywhere instead of holding it like Arniel discusses. I think the Namestnikov at center experiment has come close to running its course. He's not producing in that role and Cole is confident. A game like today also shows that Perfetti and Ehlers could use a bigger player to create some space for them against an opponent like a vegas.

Third line: They played well as they can match Vegas's play style. Thought Nino was excellent again. Lowry was good outside of some brain farts.

Fourth line: Barron has been a no-show for a while now imo. Gus has been making a strong case to stay in the lineup. Kupar was solid. This line misses Namestnikov imo.
I thought Samberg was pretty bad to be honest but it has to be tough for him to be paired with 88.

Either the Jets have to find a way to cap dump Schmidt, or waive him and just eat his salary in the AHL. If not that, then waive Stanley.

Theres no way this d wouldn't be better with Capobianco up.

Also, sorry but it really annoys me that you can't spell Connor's name correctly.

I agree on Barron, I was so excited to see what he could do this year but he's just not a factor right now. Namestnikov always looks like he's going to do something dangerous but it just seems to fizzle for him. He's still a useful bottom 6 guy but you can see why he's moved around and never fulfilled his promise as a top 6 player.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Oh and something that really chuffed me was f***ing Mason Appleton makes a STUPID lazy stick lift play that ends up costing us 2 goals just when the team was starting to take it to the Knights.

Then, he makes the EXACT SAME PLAY like 5 minutes later (luckily he didn't high stick the guy again).

His reward? Put him on the top line.

What the f***?

I'd give Kupari more than a few shifts in the top 6. Let him get comfortable. Out of Iafallo, Namestnikov and him, he has the most pure skill and the wheels to keep up. Not only is that a better option, but it allows Iafallo and Namestnikov to slide back into their appropriate lines where they have looked really great.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Ehlers hasn’t looked like a legit top 6 going on a couple seasons now….

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I thought Samberg was pretty bad to be honest but it has to be tough for him to be paired with 88.

Either the Jets have to find a way to cap dump Schmidt, or waive him and just eat his salary in the AHL. If not that, then waive Stanley.

Theres no way this d wouldn't be better with Capobianco up.

Also, sorry but it really annoys me that you can't spell Connor's name correctly.

I agree on Barron, I was so excited to see what he could do this year but he's just not a factor right now. Namestnikov always looks like he's going to do something dangerous but it just seems to fizzle for him. He's still a useful bottom 6 guy but you can see why he's moved around and never fulfilled his promise as a top 6 player.

I've been trying to make a conscious effort to spell it correctly. Guess it's still a work in progress lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've been trying to make a conscious effort to spell it correctly. Guess it's still a work in progress lol.
I kind of thought you were doing it on purpose like Friedman and his stupid WIN for Winnipeg. :P

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ehlers hasn’t looked like a legit top 6 going on a couple seasons now….
I'm kind of done with him to be honest. I know it's not fair - but he's always been somewhat of an enigma, frustrating at times.

If he has lost his top end speed and agility he's really not going to be an effective player any more. I'm hoping he's just getting back into game shape - obviously the injury making him miss camp and preseason is affecting him.

No, unfortunately my spelling is just that bad. It's my academic krytonite.
I'm sorry, that's just mean haha

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Outside of the score, I saw alot of good things. Bring that game every night and you win the central.
Actually, it was a pleasant surprise to see that we kept up on SOG!
That was encouraging, and even on occasion exciting. But in scrums behind our net, there were too many blind panicked rim shots to an opponent waiting alone along the half-wall. Not our coolest plays. D coach has a real job there..

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm kind of done with him to be honest. I know it's not fair - but he's always been somewhat of an enigma, frustrating at times.

If he has lost his top end speed and agility he's really not going to be an effective player any more. I'm hoping he's just getting back into game shape - obviously the injury making him miss camp and preseason is affecting him.

I'm sorry, that's just mean haha

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad