Post-Game Talk: VGK 5 - Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm kind of done with him to be honest. I know it's not fair - but he's always been somewhat of an enigma, frustrating at times.

If he has lost his top end speed and agility he's really not going to be an effective player any more. I'm hoping he's just getting back into game shape - obviously the injury making him miss camp and preseason is affecting him.

I'm sorry, that's just mean haha
I don't know Jet, don't think Ehlers was looking dynamic or like he did back in 16',17',18' even before he got injured, I always was waiting form him to make the next step which he never has!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Oh and something that really chuffed me was f***ing Mason Appleton makes a STUPID lazy stick lift play that ends up costing us 2 goals just when the team was starting to take it to the Knights.

Then, he makes the EXACT SAME PLAY like 5 minutes later (luckily he didn't high stick the guy again).

His reward? Put him on the top line.

What the f***?

I'd give Kupari more than a few shifts in the top 6. Let him get comfortable. Out of Iafallo, Namestnikov and him, he has the most pure skill and the wheels to keep up. Not only is that a better option, but it allows Iafallo and Namestnikov to slide back into their appropriate lines where they have looked really great.
Totally agree, don't really know what Arneil was thinking there. If anything Appleton should have been at the end of the bench not moved to the front.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Not really understanding the Ehlers hate. Remember last year when he came back from injury, for ten games he was literally leading the league (higher than McDavid) in points/60.

Now his line is our best line 5 v 5 and he's one of our only wingers that drives a line. Supposedly he 'has chemistry with no one' and yet everyone he plays with has their numbers improve? Not sure I'm getting rid of him just yet...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Not really understanding the Ehlers hate. Remember last year when he came back from injury, for ten games he was literally leading the league (higher than McDavid) in points/60.

Now his line is our best line 5 v 5 and he's one of our only wingers that drives a line. Supposedly he 'has chemistry with no one' and yet everyone he plays with has their numbers improve? Not sure I'm getting rid of him just yet...

He has 4 points in 10 games and is a -5.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I'm extremely disappointed with several aspects of the Jets' play this season....PP, PK and goaltending. However, I'm also pleasantly surprised that after 10 games, we have 10 points and are currently in a WC position. Now, 0.500 hockey is not going to get the Jets anywhere near a playoff spot come season's end but if the coaches can get their acts together and devise better schemes for the PP and PK, which would involve getting the right players on the ice in the right spots, the team should be OK.🤞 In my opinion, the next 10 games are critical. Lo and behold that's right around that "magic date" of American Thanksgiving!

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Apples is normally a favourite of mine but his dumb f***ing penalty really killed us last night. That's where you expect Helley to bail us out, but it was a stupid unnecessary mistake.

Edit: thanks for the drive by @tbcwpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tbcwpg

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
10 games in, we're 4-4-2 and holding a wild card spot. Looking at the central division foes, third place is a reasonable goal.

You would expect our goaltending to improve considerably. Not sure what's going on with our special teams. I remember when our PP looked pretty exciting in the first few games.

We'll be OK. Vegas is just a much better team than the Jets.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
10 games in, we're 4-4-2 and holding a wild card spot. Looking at the central division foes, third place is a reasonable goal.

You would expect our goaltending to improve considerably. Not sure what's going on with our special teams. I remember when our PP looked pretty exciting in the first few games.

You find the most bizarre avatars. :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Helle, more than anyone, needs to be better.
Our D corps is below average and our special teams are letting points slip away.
I really hope we beat the dogs this Saturday.

I don't know Jet, don't think Ehlers was looking dynamic or like he did back in 16',17',18' even before he got injured, I always was waiting form him to make the next step which he never has!
Hard to take the next step when you are always in sick bay...

Reactions: sipowicz

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I had the Jets at .500 after 10 games as a win because of all the new faces on the team and a tough schedule. Sure I'm disappointed on the lost but hey 5 on 5 was a win.
Fix the damm special teams!
It's pretty sad that the smallest player (Perfetti) on the team stands in front of the net on the PP and lone and behold the Jets get a PP goal.
How fricken simple is it to figure out that a player standing in front of the net helps your PP?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think we are right were I thought we would be but I think some tweaks to this team are required. Not sure how to go about it though. One thing I don't want to do is move any prospects or draft capital though.

But another top 4 D man I think is a must

Nov 24, 2006
This was almost a guaranteed loss on the schedule, Vegas is just better in every area of the game. We hung with them a bit, but it wasn't enough.

As others have said, PP, PK, team D and goalie are not yet there to compete with a team like Vegas. I think we've got another 10 games to go to see where and who we really are.

Reactions: RabidOne

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Oh and something that really chuffed me was f***ing Mason Appleton makes a STUPID lazy stick lift play that ends up costing us 2 goals just when the team was starting to take it to the Knights.

Then, he makes the EXACT SAME PLAY like 5 minutes later (luckily he didn't high stick the guy again).

His reward? Put him on the top line.

What the f***?

I'd give Kupari more than a few shifts in the top 6. Let him get comfortable. Out of Iafallo, Namestnikov and him, he has the most pure skill and the wheels to keep up. Not only is that a better option, but it allows Iafallo and Namestnikov to slide back into their appropriate lines where they have looked really great.
Chuffed means pleased.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Apples is normally a favourite of mine but his dumb f***ing penalty really killed us last night. That's where you expect Helley to bail us out, but it was a stupid unnecessary mistake.

Edit: thanks for the drive by @tbcwpg

No worries, I understand you need to up your Hellebuyck mention per thread stat.

that wasn't the reason for our pk being good last year...

It was a very big reason.

Hellebuyck is so core to how this team plays, which is a big reason why I feel like much of the criticism levied his way is too much. Like, how dare he not drag a lower mid team into big wins night in and night out?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
No worries, I understand you need to up your Hellebuyck mention per thread stat.

It was a very big reason.

Hellebuyck is so core to how this team plays, which is a big reason why I feel like much of the criticism levied his way is too much. Like, how dare he not drag a lower mid team into big wins night in and night out?
helle is a huge part of this team, but the team has played much better in front of him under bowness so the narrative that we only win because of helle is old and tired, the pk last year was very good and it wasn't because he was "saving our bacon"

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
helle is a huge part of this team, but the team has played much better in front of him under bowness so the narrative that we only win because of helle is old and tired, the pk last year was very good and it wasn't because he was "saving our bacon"

It was better than this for sure, but he adds like 5% to the PK% just himself. If he's playing his normal way this PK is still bottom 7 or 8.

The 3-1 goal they got burned a but cheating for offence, Lowry missed the net and went for a change leaving slow Schmidt to try to keep up and catch the trailer, he of course couldn't. I feel like they're being aggressive but not picking their spots. No excuse Stone should've been behind both on the 2-1 goal for example.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
It was better than this for sure, but he adds like 5% to the PK% just himself. If he's playing his normal way this PK is still bottom 7 or 8.

The 3-1 goal they got burned a but cheating for offence, Lowry missed the net and went for a change leaving slow Schmidt to try to keep up and catch the trailer, he of course couldn't. I feel like they're being aggressive but not picking their spots. No excuse Stone should've been behind both on the 2-1 goal for example.
I'm not arguing that the pk doesn't suck this year and I'm not blaming helle as the reason for that.. just saying that the reason we had a good pk last year wasn't because helle, having an elite goalie helps but we played pretty solid in front of him

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed. Being .500 after the first 10 games is probably close to expected based on strength of competition. I’m not to worried at this point with our improved 5-5 play. Helly getting back to his career average numbers and some improved special team play and I think we easily end up in 3rd. The next 4 games against central teams will be telling.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This was almost a guaranteed loss on the schedule, Vegas is just better in every area of the game. We hung with them a bit, but it wasn't enough.

As others have said, PP, PK, team D and goalie are not yet there to compete with a team like Vegas. I think we've got another 10 games to go to see where and who we really are.
fax-rant.gif

Reactions: Eyeseeing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad