Post-Game Talk: Veteran plays

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
nah, wings do it a ton. babcock is a master at it. focus on when the other team forechecks. that's when it's most noticeable, we put a guy on his lane that slows him down or forces him to take longer route.

Is that what other teams have been *****ing and moaning about all this time? Well I can see why they call it LEGAL interference. Because it's legal, as well it should be. Establishing your position to force the opponent to take a longer route to get to the ball (puck) is pretty much a basic skill that everyone learns in every sport.

I mean what are you going to do, tell everyone to jump out of the way any time someone faster than them wants to go through? I guess everyone should just stand aside to let Helm get to every loose puck ever.

If other teams suck at fundamentals like this, maybe they should practice it instead of whining about it.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Is that what other teams have been *****ing and moaning about all this time? Well I can see why they call it LEGAL interference. Because it's legal, as well it should be. Establishing your position to force the opponent to take a longer route to get to the ball (puck) is pretty much a basic skill that everyone learns in every sport.

I mean what are you going to do, tell everyone to jump out of the way any time someone faster than them wants to go through? I guess everyone should just stand aside to let Helm get to every loose puck ever.

If other teams suck at fundamentals like this, maybe they should practice it instead of whining about it.

Teams get away with more blatant interference when their defense impede our forwards who chip pucks deep and then go chase it on a nearly shift to shift basis, it makes no sense to me

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Lots of teams DO do it. The problem is, as with fans of any sport, a lot of NHL fans are morons and simply parrot what they hear. Thanks to Edzo's damn-near trademarked "subtle interference" ********, fans who don't care enough to analyze the game with an unbiased eye (or simply can't) think it's something the Wings alone do or crafted.

Once I start hearing someone yammer on about how subtle interference is a Wings and Wings only thing, I value their opinion on anything else a lot less. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is a widely-utilized tactic instead of some idiosyncrasy.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Jimmy stole us those 2 points. Almost glad in the end, he needed a win like that

I thought Zidlicky played well all game, just not the OT winner. Cole seemed to be hustling and had a couple of good back checks, just didn't seem to have the puck a lot or any good opportunities

This team is just so much better when Datsyuk and Zetterberg are in the lineup. Kind of makes me fear the future a little bit

Agreed, but all of the guys are still really young and still learning. In a couple years when Datsyuk is gone they should be a ton better. Then we'll still have some time with Z.

Thrasher1993

Mar 3, 2015
Zidlicky impressed me, even without the goal you can tell he has some great offensive instincts. He had some nice passes that he made look simple. Cole worked hard but clearly had the first-game jitters. Seems like he couldn't get anything on his shots and the puck rolled off his stick a couple times but im excited for him. I'd love a third line of Cole-Sheahan-Franzen in the playoffs. I really hope when Helm comes back, Babcock puts him back with Tatar and Dats. That line was filthy.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Zidlicky impressed me, even without the goal you can tell he has some great offensive instincts. He had some nice passes that he made look simple. Cole worked hard but clearly had the first-game jitters. Seems like he couldn't get anything on his shots and the puck rolled off his stick a couple times but im excited for him. I'd love a third line of Cole-Sheahan-Franzen in the playoffs. I really hope when Helm comes back, Babcock puts him back with Tatar and Dats. That line was filthy.

While true, he did make some not so great plays as well. I don't know if it's a communication thing but he just seemed like he got caught pinching too much that led to odd man rushes ( as did other players, I'm not singling him out) and took a bad penalty. Give him more time and I think he will be fine.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Devs fan here.

Way to beat that blue scum from across the river.

Really happy Zids did well for you guys. There are some nights where he's the best player on the ice - but you have to temper it with the occasional over aggressive pinch, bad penalty or brain dead meltdown.

I think Devils fans were unanimous that despite any of the aforementioned bad traits - he was _great_ for our team.

Good luck guys. Rooting for you going forward (if we don't win our last 18 in a row and make it in..)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
While true, he did make some not so great plays as well. I don't know if it's a communication thing but he just seemed like he got caught pinching too much that led to odd man rushes ( as did other players, I'm not singling him out) and took a bad penalty. Give him more time and I think he will be fine.

Too be fair and technical.

Here are the defenders i blamed for odd man rushes today

Kronwall x 1
Quincey x 2
Zidlicky x 1

Should be noted Zidlicky had a very unlucky bounce to cause his.
Quincey's were worse

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Devs fan here.

Way to beat that blue scum from across the river.

Really happy Zids did well for you guys. There are some nights where he's the best player on the ice - but you have to temper it with the occasional over aggressive pinch, bad penalty or brain dead meltdown.

I think Devils fans were unanimous that despite any of the aforementioned bad traits - he was _great_ for our team.

Good luck guys. Rooting for you going forward (if we don't win our last 18 in a row and make it in..)

Our interests are now aligned. Lets hope we "have" to give you the best picks ever because Zids plays well for us.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the thing was that if you read it enough times, it made me question what it exactly is that others are seeing that I am not. I reread the NHL rules from the ref's handbook and I still cannot see what the outcry is. I find it baffling. The only potential gray area would be how the Wings take the neutral zone through the blue line. Often the forwards without the puck will often skate to an area of the ice, and cross the path of the front facing defender who is on the puck carrying forward. This forces the defender to have to alter his path to the puck carrier.

But that in it of itself is not interference. As long as the Red Wing doesn't touch the opponent (which they don't) and doesn't use his stick to lengthen the route to the puck, there is no interference.

The NHL has a spotty history with how they call interference, too. I remember a number of seasons back that skating into a guy's lane and impeding him - even without touching him or whatever - was being called as interference. The league wanted more speed in the game or something, instead they got a bunch of defencemen getting drilled into the boards trying to retrieve pucks. Having a fluid concept of what is interference/obstruction and what isn't is something the NHL has encouraged to an extent.

He might just pinch a lot, which is part of the reason we got him. Do we really want him to neuter his game to play a "safer" style if it means he creates far less offense? I think Zidlicky is just going to gamble on occasion. Sometimes he'll get burned.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The NHL has a spotty history with how they call interference, too. I remember a number of seasons back that skating into a guy's lane and impeding him - even without touching him or whatever - was being called as interference. The league wanted more speed in the game or something, instead they got a bunch of defencemen getting drilled into the boards trying to retrieve pucks.

He might just pinch a lot, which is part of the reason we got him. Do we really want him to neuter his game to play a "safer" style if it means he creates far less offense? I think Zidlicky is just going to gamble on occasion. Sometimes he'll get burned.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of him pinching, but our forwards have to be on the same page and be able to back him or any other player that decides to pinch. That's why I said I think in time, we will get better at it.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Ansar Khan says that Ericsson is banged up, might not play tomorrow. Anyone see anything?

Thrasher1993

Mar 3, 2015

I agree and honestly I expect him to make some decisions in the future where I shake my head and think wth. I think he is what we were expecting Smitty to be (albeit a little older than we wanted) And I love that rhs on that powerplay. Last night was a rusty game but the Rangers are one of the hottest teams out there and its great to come out with a win. Howard needed a performance like that to boost his confidence too

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Call up Jensen.

SVVewh7.gif

Might as well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Call up Jensen.

Why not? He looked good in preseason, doing okay with the Griffs. I'd like to see how many of our defensive prospects look legit. So far, 2 for 2 on XO and Marchy.

Scratch Kindl? No, no, what you meant to say was you hope he gets put on the top pairing, right?
Meh, he looked okay his couple of games back. Not overly worried about it. He's on a short leash but as long as he's not atrocious...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad