Post-Game Talk: Veteran plays

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yeah, but that opens a whole different can of worms, in that I do think jealousy is a big part of this.

If you watch good possession teams, they do this a lot. The team that is probably best at it in the league isn't even us anymore, it is...... Chicago.

It comes through good structured hockey, the Wings understand the line, they get in positions and do just enough without taking it too far. They also get rung up a couple times a game regardless for it.

Interference is like holding in football though it happens all the time. When you do it outside the shoulder pads you're dead, but occasionally they call it correctly in the interior. The Wings are like this with subtle interference as are most teams in the league, it is about discipline, they just don't take it too far and make it obvious. Why, because they are taught the correct way, other teams do this as well, but have not done it to near the success level of the Wings.

This. Babcock actually deserves a lot of credit, he has figured out where the line is, and has coached his players to play consistently within an inch of that line.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
Very good game to watch. Thought Dekeyser had an off night but didn't like the call for his penalty. Not saying that isn't usually called but still didn't like it.

Hopefully Helm is back soon so we can get No Show Jurco out of the top 9.

I disagree with your assessment of Jurco. He's had a pretty quiet season so far offensively but I thought he played pretty good with Tatar and Datsyuk. Had a couple of good chances and it was his first game on that line. I think give him a couple of games and you'll be thinking otherwise. That said, it would definitely be nice to get Helm back and with them.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
A lot of hate for Jurco. Sure he isn't cashing but I would take Jurco with 5 great chances over Tatar with 1.

He will get his scoring touch and if he doesn't, Franzen will return. Or bring someone up

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I wouldn't be against trading Jurco for Pulkkinen just until Jurco gets his scoring touch and his confidence back. He seems really snakebitten.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
I'm so happy to be a Red Wing

465238650_slide.jpg

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Is it just me or does NBC get all upset when Detroit beats one of the NBC sweetheart teams?

Mike Milbury (the moron he is) completely ignores the fact that NY got away with constant crap the entire night, yet calls out Gus for smart play.

Seriously, screw NBC

They Are so biased vs the Wings.:rant:

Not worried about the Rangers in the playoffs at all. Their D looks good but their forwards aren't anything special at all. They really don't have a 1C at all, just two very mediocre 2C's.

Wings were sloppy all around, maybe from the break and maybe from the new blood, but they still managed to get the win. Once they get back to their usual selves I take the Wings over any team in the East without thinking twice.

Also that right-hand shot on the PP just made the best power-play in the league exponentially better. :laugh:
Lunquist can steal games though.

Habs lost we can tie for first.
Didn't they lose 2?
This. Babcock actually deserves a lot of credit, he has figured out where the line is, and has coached his players to play consistently within an inch of that line.

When a tight checking game like this one, it will be a lot of those interference. But the refs have to call them from the get go.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I dont see this subtle interference everyone cries about. Is it like some urban legend that just keeps growing legs?

It's kind of confirmation bias. If a Wings player is anywhere close to an opposing player, they see it as "subtle interference". Then, when the Wings get away with an actual penalty they don't see it as just a ref mistake, they see it as the Wingspiracy even motion.

Kings do way more actual "subtle interference" than the Wings, but nobody seems to care about it. In fact, they laud it as great defense in their case. It's strange.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
What did you guys think of Zidlicky?
He had a fickle game with some bad plays on the one hand and the goal on the other. Like many others, I doubt that pairing him with Smith is the best solution. Anyway, he has made a positive impact already (Cole did too, by the way).

Gruß,
BSHH

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Rangers could have won this. It was a coin flip, but having been confused by the success of the Habs and Rangers, it's clear they survive on great goalies and deep defenses that move the puck forward despite sub standard forward corps... Not worried about either after watching tonight's game and the Habs against the Ducks...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
howard won us that game hands down(as he has had to do alot lately)

other than that zetterberg, abdelkader and datsyuk had strong games

dekeyser did look off and if he isnt careful quincey is going to pass him soon in terms of consistency among dmen(i give credit where its due for Q has his game is becoming very good, love his physicality lately)

exact type of game one should have expected from the DRW espescially after a long road trip and long time off

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
It's kind of confirmation bias. If a Wings player is anywhere close to an opposing player, they see it as "subtle interference". Then, when the Wings get away with an actual penalty they don't see it as just a ref mistake, they see it as the Wingspiracy even motion.

Kings do way more actual "subtle interference" than the Wings, but nobody seems to care about it. In fact, they laud it as great defense in their case. It's strange.

Reminds me of the Ducks during the Pronger years

They were given constant admiration by outside/ neutral fans for their strength and stingy defensive game, yet the way they played made them basically constantly committing (and not getting called for) penalties.

Ducks fans would defend their play by saying "but we're the most penalized team in the league! we do get penalties!!" and that is good, but it wasn't like they were down a man for any significant chunk of an average game, like they should have been.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I dont see this subtle interference everyone cries about. Is it like some urban legend that just keeps growing legs?

nah, wings do it a ton. babcock is a master at it. focus on when the other team forechecks. that's when it's most noticeable, we put a guy on his lane that slows him down or forces him to take longer route.

I do think Stepan has some similarities to Plekanec. His possession numbers might not be great but he is a strong two way pivot in my opinion. I like his defense and I like him when I watch him play, seems like a playoffs kind of guy to me.

it's weird that he has that meh corsi this year. was very good the past few years.

because he seems like a guy (limited viewings this year though) that should have good corsi.

What did you guys think of Zidlicky?

pretty much the same what you think/thought of him.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Zidlicky had a so-so game, he kept going on the left-hand side and Smith was akward at covering the other side. He also had a great PP in the 3rd where he distributed the puck on a T for Tatar, plus, he did get the OT winner. :handclap:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Zidlicky had a so-so game, he kept going on the left-hand side and Smith was akward at covering the other side. He also had a great PP in the 3rd where he distributed the puck on a T for Tatar, plus, he did get the OT winner. :handclap:

I'll agree with that. Seemed so-so at ES but much more comfy on the PP. I hope for both Cole and Zid that it's a matter of nerves and adjusting to a new system. They both seem like they have something to add to the team.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Jimmy stole us those 2 points. Almost glad in the end, he needed a win like that

I thought Zidlicky played well all game, just not the OT winner. Cole seemed to be hustling and had a couple of good back checks, just didn't seem to have the puck a lot or any good opportunities

This team is just so much better when Datsyuk and Zetterberg are in the lineup. Kind of makes me fear the future a little bit

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
That was an exciting game! It seemed like both teams would cough up the puck but regroup quickly. Not sure the hate on Jurco seemed like one of his better games, dude just couldn't catch a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad