Speculation: Veteran goalies to Washington

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe not? I’m not going to pretend to be that familiar with any Capitals goalie outside of Samsonov, who’s also a bit of an unknown. Copley isn’t likely a NHL goalie, I mean he’s turning 29 in January, but I don’t what Venecek can do.

Aaron Dell's rookie season in the NHL he was 28. He's now a 31 year-old goaltender who just signed to be a third stringer.

If the Capitals are going to go out and acquire a goaltender from another organization, I don't think Dell makes any sense. It should be an established veteran, who can help their young net minder and can give you dependable minutes.

I can't envision a scenario where a team would prefer Dell to Craig Anderson, and they can get Anderson for free.

Or they can do nothing, use the guys they already have under contract, and still get the same quality of net minding.

Reactions: Hivemind

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Before the likes of Craig Anderson and Ryan Miller? Absolutely!

If the Caps are going to carry three Gs I wouldn’t mind either of these options as insurance on Vanecek or Copley but I have faith either one (Copley or Vanecek) is better than the necessity to bring in a washed-up vet.

Right on, fam. Let’s see what we have in Sammy or Vanny and then worry about it a few weeks into the season, eh? Just my perspective!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Right on, fam. Let’s see what we have in Sammy or Vanny and then worry about it a few weeks into the season, eh? Just my perspective!

With 3 goalies on each roster and an amount of injuries pushing on waiting isnt a good idea. In Samsonov, Vanecek and Copley the Caps have 47 NHL starts and 0 Stanley Cup playoff minutes. You really want to roll a cup contender with an aging star core into the playoffs with that? While I am confident that its Samsonov or bust, I would much rather skate Ryan Miller out for a critical game than Vitek without even any experience.

Wait and the already thin list of options will be thinner. Missing the playoffs because they dont have an NHL goalie would be a real shame

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don’t even liking asking since it sucks Henrik just announced this, but what happens with the Rangers portion of his buyout if he is LTIR?
Do the Caps and Ny get relief?

NY gets no relief. Lundqvist could have gone off of the deep end and murdered 15 people... and NYR would get no relief.

There is no way to eliminate buyout or retention for the team that bought out a guy or retained on a guy.

Reactions: pbgoalie

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Ryan Miller if he's willing to come out to Washington for half a year at vet min seems like the most likely choice. If not I think they give Copley a shot and trade at the deadline if he flounders.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think the safest/cheapest route is signing Craig Anderson to a league minimum contract. Caps can technically agree to a termination of Lundqvist's contract because the season hasn't started yet. I think they will do this only if there is a mutual agreement. If not then you LTIR Lundqvist. Here's the thing, Caps could go with Samsonov/Vanacek and Copley on the xtra squad or whatever it's called, but they would be going into the playoffs with zero experience. I would say that's far too risky. That's why I say Anderson becuz of all the FA goalies left, he has the best playoff numbers(he almost backstopped his Sens to the Cup Final, but lost in a Game 7 OT to the Pens).

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Im on the Anderson train. I always though that he carried the Senators when they were competitive few years ago. Plus i know he has been through a lot of turmoil especially off the ice.
All of those things combined makes him a perfect candidate to mentor Sammy for a year

CMayton

Dec 20, 2020
Well they have to do something unless they want to go with Phoenix Copley and have 2 goalies with a combined 55 games of NHL experience
It actually sounds like they are going with 26 games of NHL experience as they're leaning Vanecek over Copley!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad