Speculation: Veteran goalies to Washington

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If the Canes could find a way to deal for another goalie (i.e. Kuemper), Mrazek/Reimer would seem like decent options to send the Caps way...both are capable tandem goalies for a guy like Samsonov

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Seems like Craig Anderson is the logical choice here. He had some decent starts behind an awful Sens lineup. Vet presence, would be fine as a backup behind a better team imo.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
just to be clear, I am saying NY can plead player knew, did not disclose [would not be the first player in any sport to hide an injury, esp a serious one] and hence they were a victim.

If Hank REALLY loves us, and it is true, he could fess up. League might null the buy out.
Ordinary course of biz, it is not a big deal worth the ruckus.
however, covid flat capping salaries, that's a big deal
If by plead, you mean make a baseless accusation, then I guess they could but it would be a real bad idea without proof. (And no, you can’t make the accusation and then ask for the right to search for proof.)

At this point it’s Howard or Anderson as the only options left
Howard had his first really god awful season in about a half a decade after enjoying a low key career resurgence but was real bad last season and made a terrible Red Wings team even worse.
It’s just one season, and there was plenty of blame to go around, but he’s 36 and he was pretty brutal. Anderson is going to be 40 in May and his last good season was 2016-17 so I don’t know why the Capitals would inflict that on themselves either. There has to be a Jack Campbell-style deal available and I’d take Ryan Miller over either of these stiffs.

Dell is far better. He is a legit backup goalie who only took that dirt contract in toronto because of the pandemic
Dell is just ok, and was kind of bad in 2018-19, but the price is right and he’s not getting AARP mailings yet.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Not an ideal option but what about getting Carter Hutton off Buffalo. With Cleveland opting out of the ECHL season Buffalo has nowhere to put a couple guys and if they don't play Jonas Johansson in a certain amount of games next season they lose his rights. If it saves the Pegulas a few dollars they'd probably push for it.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Am I missing something, didn't Schneider sign with the islanders on the first say or two of free agency?

Was announced but never officially signed. He's still listed as an UFA. It sounds like there's a bargain deal in place unless he receives a better offer.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Vanecek is NHL material. He should get his chance to be the 1B.

Can we see him play a couple of NHL games before making him a 1B? I think the league/nhlpa are going to require teams to carry 3 goalies. I expect if Ryan Miller wants to play, they will bring him in. He has a family legacy to keep up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Is that confirmed? Thought guys on taxi squads would still need to clear waivers?

I dont think that has been decided yet. If the AHL is going to play, you can make a case that the typical waiver AHL rules being applied to taxi squad would force young AHL roster players into that duty. The AHL is going to get hurt regardless

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They can just take Dell/Campbell off of Toronto when one gets waived.
neither gets waived lol. leafs didnt sign dell to waive him. with expanders rosters they will have no problem carrying 3 goalies, they can take hutchinson if they want

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Doesn't make a lot of sense. Is Dell really better than the options Washington already has?
Maybe not? I’m not going to pretend to be that familiar with any Capitals goalie outside of Samsonov, who’s also a bit of an unknown. Copley isn’t likely a NHL goalie, I mean he’s turning 29 in January, but I don’t what Venecek can do.

I guess the theory is teams can have taxi squads with AHL players so the Capitals might as well sign a vet back-up since the Venecek or Copley could be on the taxi squad with no cap hit.

The counter argument is that that the Caps saw Lundqvist as a unique free agent opportunity and have no interest in signing some rando mediocre back-up. I can see that too.

Reactions: searle

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Vanecek is NHL material. He should get his chance to be the 1B.
Before the likes of Craig Anderson and Ryan Miller? Absolutely!

If the Caps are going to carry three Gs I wouldn’t mind either of these options as insurance on Vanecek or Copley but I have faith either one (Copley or Vanecek) is better than the necessity to bring in a washed-up vet.

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Bobrovsky for future considerations?
Bobrovsky at 200% retained and somehow convince Irbe and Tretiak to come out of Retirement. Maybe also Khabibulin? Samsonov/Bobrovsky/Irbe/Tretiak I think I like it. Russian machine smokes like a mother but never breaks.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Samsonov
Copley

Vanecek
Fucale

That is very thin depth goaltending wise.
Copley AND/OR Vanecek are no worse than many of the vet options potentially on the table and bandied about in this thread.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Georgiev is 2.425 x 2
He is mid 20s and is good bet to not fall over a cliff like an older guy.

That is not an exact match $ wise but much easier to do than taking on more expensive alternative older vet G.

Rangers have enuf depth Shesty will play most games. Howard for league min 1 yr + 4 game tryouts to Huska etc [auditioning for the backup job down the road] is fine.

Of course, nobody does anybody favors for free.

Rangers will gamble on Hendrix Lapierre [talented but big health risk] and his .925 elc to NY
for
Geo + NYR 2021 3rd + 4th

$ wise that is a wash and could be a big win/lose either way depending on HL and his health -- is he productive for 5 or so years? Or is he another Nolan Patrick?
Open up, I’m about to throw up in your mouth. No goalie ever has had this kind of value, Georgiev certainly is not that guy today.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
According to the Washington Post Michael Kempny will start the season on LTIR. his salary hit is 2.5 million. With Lundquist’s 1.5 that would give the Caps around 4 million to maneuver with, which should give them room for a trade. Would love to trade Reimer or Mrazek With the Canes retaining between 500 to 1 million to complete the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad