Speculation: Veteran goalies to Washington

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I suspect the Capitals will want to add a veteran to support it's rookie Samsonov, with Lundqvist announcment today. Phoenix Copley, I dont think, will be an option for them.

On the UFA market? Ryan Miller, Craig Anderson? Via trade?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I would say Dubnyk could become available early season depending on what happens, but now they are saying teams will carry 3 goalies so probably not.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
The Caps have said previously that they'd be comfortable going into the season with Samsonov, Copley, and Vanacek (not neccessarily in that order for the backup job) - and then Lundqvist fell into their laps.

Looks like we'll see if they were bluffing or not.

If they do make a move, I expect it to be a minor one, at most. I don't expect them to, personally.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wouldn't the Caps be able to put Henrik on LTIR?

Henrik is a pretty stand up guy. I'd bet, that he will agree to a mutual termination of the contract.

Otherwise, It would appear that they are going to have to put him on LTIR. He's a 35+ contract, so it shouldn't be able to be dropped due to retirement. Noting, LTIR only kicks in, after the season starts, and they'd still need to be cap compliant on day one.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Caps have said previously that they'd be comfortable going into the season with Samsonov, Copley, and Vanacek (not neccessarily in that order for the backup job) - and then Lundqvist fell into their laps.

Looks like we'll see if they were bluffing or not.

If they do make a move, I expect it to be a minor one, at most. I don't expect them to, personally.

Have to think if they really plan on contending then they'd want something a little bit more proven to back-up Samsonov or provide a platoon. Like let's say Samsonov has a down year or gets injured, I can't imagine Copley or Vanacek are inspiring options for a sustained period of time.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Craig Anderson or Jimmy Howard make sense here. Both would require less then 1 mil to sign. Don’t think Miller wants to come back east.

Reactions: Altimus

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope it's Vanecek to be honest. He's ready. They'll be some growing pains but they've been developing him for years now. It's also a very good team so Vanecek playing 15 games shouldn't sink them. I may have a bias though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought about it.. as an Oil fan, you can trade for the Battler (tm) Mike Smith. In fact, Vanecek for Smith straight up. 1.5 million and who wouldn't waive their NTC to go to a very good Caps team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad