Value of: Veteran for Matthews' wing

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
He's generating chances non stop. I think he's actually up there with the best in the league at generating chances already. He just needs an ugly goal and he will be fine

I'm not worried about him breaking the slump. I think there's too many rooks in our forward group as is and having 2 unproven players with marginal offensive upside on both his wings is just unfair to him and his skill level

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Leafs need a winger like Boone Jenner, Brock Nelson or a younger Scott Hartnell.
I came in here just to see if someone said Scotty just because he fits perfectly in this case even though there is 0% he gets moved because he has publicly stated he is finishing this current contract in Columbus (and I couldn't be happier about it because I was fighting against the idea of trading him last year to help our previous cap issues that have since been completely fixed). That being said it is so frustrating to always read about the guys age. He has produced at a 1st line LW since being in Columbus playing mostly 3rd line minutes. The guy has accelerated the development of guys like Wennberg, Dano, and Karlson. His age or contract right now would have 0 barring on his ability to help Mathews and the leafs long term. Its not going to happen regardless but it needs to be said because people look at age then see the contract but never look past that into actual play and real value. Honestly because he plays in Columbus not any people away from here watch so they don't understand how great he has.been here. If you put his stat like next to 30 other NHL LWs and blocked out age and names and teams... people would think he would be a great 1st line LW on a great contract especially seeing what guys like Backes and Lucic just got.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
A bit of a random one, but Pouliot?

2 years beyond this one left at 4million, and he's worked very well with the young centres in Edmonton with both RNH and McDavid.

For the Oilers currently he's playing vs. the main matchups with RNH as neither Maroon or Lucic are suited for the role. He done as fairly well there, as they've been the best two-way duo for the team this year.

The negatives with him for the Oilers are his cap hit being the #3 LW behind Maroon and Lucic with a potential salary crunch on the horizon, and the *ahem* occasional brain dead offensive zone penalties...

Perhaps something based around Michalek* for Pouliot? Edmonton gets a winger that can play on a shutdown line and a shorter contract commitment, and Toronto gets an upgrade on Hyman.

*really not sure how much his value has tanked, I know Toronto went with the youth movement this year and thus why he was waived, but I'm assuming he can still play and contribute as a third liner.

Michalek has negative value. With retention probably very little if any.

I'd be interested in acquiring Pouliot as a Leaf fan

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Leafs fans on here are always trying to trade JVR, you should talk to them to see what they'd want.

Right... Well maybe he'd work. I still like the Hansen for Bozak offer though. Allows Nylander to move to the middle which I think he's better suited. Send down Brown and recall Michalek for more balance...

JVR Matthews Marner (Potentially elite scoring line)
Komarov Kadri Hansen (potentially elite shutdown line)
Michalek Nylander Sosh (potential matchup nightmare)
Hyman Holland Martin (Decent cycling type 4th line)

AliBaba

Jan 16, 2013
Bay Area
Right... Well maybe he'd work. I still like the Hansen for Bozak offer though. Allows Nylander to move to the middle which I think he's better suited. Send down Brown and recall Michalek for more balance...

JVR Matthews Marner (Potentially elite scoring line)
Komarov Kadri Hansen (potentially elite shutdown line)
Michalek Nylander Sosh (potential matchup nightmare)
Hyman Holland Martin (Decent cycling type 4th line)

Potential **** post

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
After starting the season on fire with Nylander, Matthews has been ice cold and is now playing with Hyman and Brown. Not an optimal situation for Matthews to break his slump and start producing at an elite level again. I honestly think he needs a solid vet with some skill and a little toughness to be a mentor and wingman while the kid grows into his role. I don't think there's a suitable answer internally so who'd be available and what would the ask from other teams be?

He's generating chances non stop. I think he's actually up there with the best in the league at generating chances already. He just needs an ugly goal and he will be fine

Pretty much this. He's hit buckets of posts and crossbars. He's getting chances. He started the season unsustainably hot. Now its going the other way. It'll even out. He's playing fine.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
the guy who hasnt topped 12 goals in 4 years? yeah no thanks, his insanely high sh% will come way down. hands of stone

Pretty filthy hands on the 3rd goal. The guy averages 22 goals per 82 games in his career. He can score!
He is fast as hell, very solid defensivly, beast on the pk. Huge steal at 1,65 a year

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Honestly, if you really are looking, Jannik Hansen is probably your man - will stick around for quite awhile if you want him, can play up and down the line up, gritty, amazing forechecker and penalty killer, can score 20 goals, and fast as.

I hate to part with him on Vancouver but Van isn't going anywhere.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Pretty filthy hands on the 3rd goal. The guy averages 22 goals per 82 games in his career. He can score!
He is fast as hell, very solid defensivly, beast on the pk. Huge steal at 1,65 a year

cute to use career stats and averages. he has gotten 22 or more once in his career. 29 over his previous 178 games in 3 seasons (13 goals per 82 pace)

Leafs fans watched this guy not finish for 80 games last year. im sure isles fans seem the same way. unsustainable

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Leafs need a winger like Boone Jenner, Brock Nelson or a younger Scott Hartnell.

We'd prefer to hold on to both Jenner and Hartnell. Jenner because he's expected to be part of the future and Hartnell because we keep using him in similar "line doctor" roles with our own kids as he's just so incredibly good at it. :)

Hypothetically, we could move Dubinsky, but I don't know of a way to do that that makes sense for both teams. That and Dubi plays center more than wing anyways...

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Maybe but Babs is pretty stuck on him playing the shutdown role with Kadri. Also don't think he's good enough offensively.

Komarov is pretty much perfect system player. He can make plays, work to get the puck back, could be better goal scorer but he's not hindrance in any line, unless during past summer he somehow lost it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad