Value of: Veteran for Matthews' wing

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
After starting the season on fire with Nylander, Matthews has been ice cold and is now playing with Hyman and Brown. Not an optimal situation for Matthews to break his slump and start producing at an elite level again. I honestly think he needs a solid vet with some skill and a little toughness to be a mentor and wingman while the kid grows into his role. I don't think there's a suitable answer internally so who'd be available and what would the ask from other teams be?

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Something about letting the kids play. He'll figure it out.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Came into this thread thinking OP wanted to trade Matthews for a veteran winger. Thank god no ones actually that stupid.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
After starting the season on fire with Nylander, Matthews has been ice cold and is now playing with Hyman and Brown. Not an optimal situation for Matthews to break his slump and start producing at an elite level again. I honestly think he needs a solid vet with some skill and a little toughness to be a mentor and wingman while the kid grows into his role. I don't think there's a suitable answer internally so who'd be available and what would the ask from other teams be?

You're describing Komarov.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Chris Kunitz is your man.

I've thought about this since he seems to more than available but if his skating has declined as much as people say he would be too much of an anchor. Dustin Brown is the type of player I'm thinking but obviously not because that contract is awful

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs need a winger like Boone Jenner, Brock Nelson or a younger Scott Hartnell.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A bit of a random one, but Pouliot?

2 years beyond this one left at 4million, and he's worked very well with the young centres in Edmonton with both RNH and McDavid.

For the Oilers currently he's playing vs. the main matchups with RNH as neither Maroon or Lucic are suited for the role. He done as fairly well there, as they've been the best two-way duo for the team this year.

The negatives with him for the Oilers are his cap hit being the #3 LW behind Maroon and Lucic with a potential salary crunch on the horizon, and the *ahem* occasional brain dead offensive zone penalties...

Perhaps something based around Michalek* for Pouliot? Edmonton gets a winger that can play on a shutdown line and a shorter contract commitment, and Toronto gets an upgrade on Hyman.

*really not sure how much his value has tanked, I know Toronto went with the youth movement this year and thus why he was waived, but I'm assuming he can still play and contribute as a third liner.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I've thought about this since he seems to more than available but if his skating has declined as much as people say he would be too much of an anchor. Dustin Brown is the type of player I'm thinking but obviously not because that contract is awful

Pens fans go overboard with where Kunitz is at this point.

He's a 3rd liner who knows how to play with skilled centers. He's fine with Malkin as long as you have some speed and board work on the other wing. #14's won three Cups and has garnered praise from Babcock in the past.

He's a pending UFA so if he doesn't work out, just let him walk. If he does, I doubt he's going to cost that much to re-sign. He'll be turning 38 next season.

I'd take a late pick if we can clear his salary to upgrade the lineup.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
He's generating chances non stop. I think he's actually up there with the best in the league at generating chances already. He just needs an ugly goal and he will be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->