Value of: Veteran for Matthews' wing

LittleViking

Sep 17, 2014
Montreal
After starting the season on fire with Nylander, Matthews has been ice cold and is now playing with Hyman and Brown. Not an optimal situation for Matthews to break his slump and start producing at an elite level again. I honestly think he needs a solid vet with some skill and a little toughness to be a mentor and wingman while the kid grows into his role. I don't think there's a suitable answer internally so who'd be available and what would the ask from other teams be?

JVR is your man ... can have him for JVR

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Nathan Horton?

Are you serious? Why would anyone want that albatross of a contract.

Wow I didn't realize he was 7 years. He'd be great for 3 years or something. 50% retained Ladd? I imagine NYI wouldn't retain for 7 years.

Just the idea of a big body LW with lots of experience would be good for the kids.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He's generating chances non stop. I think he's actually up there with the best in the league at generating chances already. He just needs an ugly goal and he will be fine

8th in shots.

I still we should concentrate on the D first.
Wingers we have 30 of them-none vets, but plenty ready or on the cusp.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
He's been ice cold?

12 points in 15 games, his first NHL games ever in fact, and people are acting like he is busting. I get it , Laine is scoring more. He also plays with a more established C, plays on the W, and is the main player on their PP being fed shot after shot.

Looking at 5v5 production, Matthews is blowing him out of the water.

Regardless, we're fine. He'll play through it, he is getting chances just not finishing. I predict he still finishes with PPG.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
After starting the season on fire with Nylander, Matthews has been ice cold and is now playing with Hyman and Brown. Not an optimal situation for Matthews to break his slump and start producing at an elite level again. I honestly think he needs a solid vet with some skill and a little toughness to be a mentor and wingman while the kid grows into his role. I don't think there's a suitable answer internally so who'd be available and what would the ask from other teams be?

Something about letting the kids play. He'll figure it out.

Ya, I don't think pressing the panic button and adding a vet is the solution. If they could pull a miracle from a waiver wire fodder that would be OK.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Perfect player would be Wayne Simmonds......pipe dream, I know.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Pens fans go overboard with where Kunitz is at this point.

He's a 3rd liner who knows how to play with skilled centers. He's fine with Malkin as long as you have some speed and board work on the other wing. #14's won three Cups and has garnered praise from Babcock in the past.

He's a pending UFA so if he doesn't work out, just let him walk. If he does, I doubt he's going to cost that much to re-sign. He'll be turning 38 next season.

I'd take a late pick if we can clear his salary to upgrade the lineup.

This.

He isnt AHL awful but he isnt a 1st line winger anymore. He has slowed down, sure, cause he's 38. But he can still be effective in the right situation.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He's been ice cold?

12 points in 15 games, his first NHL games ever in fact, and people are acting like he is busting. I get it , Laine is scoring more. He also plays with a more established C, plays on the W, and is the main player on their PP being fed shot after shot.

Looking at 5v5 production, Matthews is blowing him out of the water.

Regardless, we're fine. He'll play through it, he is getting chances just not finishing. I predict he still finishes with PPG.

I don't think Matthews slumping is related to Laine in any way.

The situation is pretty bad when you have to lean on totally unrelated things to prove your point.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

The situation is pretty bad when you have to lean on totally unrelated things to prove your point.

No, it totally is. No one would be saying anything if Laine wasn't lighting it up. The media and main boards have been pounding his face into Leaf fans due to the back and forth between the two. Some of our fans are joining their band wagon and getting upset rather than having patience.

That's what I mean by that. Also Laine is a possession black hole play W while Matthews has a really low shooting% over his slump while still being an elite possession player playing C with worse linemates, with comparable QoC.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pens fans go overboard with where Kunitz is at this point.

He's a 3rd liner who knows how to play with skilled centers. He's fine with Malkin as long as you have some speed and board work on the other wing. #14's won three Cups and has garnered praise from Babcock in the past.

He's a pending UFA so if he doesn't work out, just let him walk. If he does, I doubt he's going to cost that much to re-sign. He'll be turning 38 next season.

I'd take a late pick if we can clear his salary to upgrade the lineup.

This is fair. Tell ya what, I'd do Kunitz+3rd for Rychel.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: It's not, that's absurd. He's been snake bit a little, it'll turn around.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No, it totally is. No one would be saying anything if Laine wasn't lighting it up. The media and main boards have been pounding his face into Leaf fans due to the back and forth between the two. Some of our fans are joining their band wagon and getting upset rather than having patience.

That's what I mean by that. Also Laine is a possession black hole play W while Matthews has a really low shooting% over his slump while still being an elite possession player playing C with worse linemates, with comparable QoC.

Again, not related to Laine. Matthews slumping has nothing to do with Laine, whether you want it or not.

Matthews has to be better if he wants to catch up with Laine, that's just plain and simple.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Again, not related to Laine. Matthews slumping has nothing to do with Laine, whether you want it or not.

Matthews has to be better if he wants to catch up with Laine, that's just plain and simple.

Agreed it's simple, just not correct.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Excluding the 1st game of the season (Matthews had 4 goals in the 1st game), Laine shooting 21.7% and Matthews shooting 3.8%.
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...15&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shootingPctg

The best shooting percentages of any player in the league are usually around 20%, with a few outliers over 20% (literally 5 guys since 2010):
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...6&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,70&sort=shootingPctg

For the best (Laine) and second best (Matthews) shots in the 2016 draft, does it seem like one of these is anomalistically low?

maybe time to re-assess your position on Matthews

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ironically enough, PA Parenteau and Michael Grabner may have looked good with Matthews. Some general versatility and lots of speed...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Excluding the 1st game of the season (Matthews had 4 goals in the 1st game), Laine shooting 21.7% and Matthews shooting 3.8%.
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...15&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shootingPctg

The best shooting percentages of any player in the league are usually around 20%, with a few outliers over 20% (literally 5 guys since 2010):
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...6&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,70&sort=shootingPctg

For the best (Laine) and second best (Matthews) shots in the 2016 draft, does it seem like one of these is anomalistically low?

maybe time to re-assess your position on Matthews

It should seem low, especially when you consider the fact that you're removing two thirds of Matthews' goals.

Do the same for Laine and you'll end up with 8,3% shot percentage. Isn't there a sizeable gap even then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad