LeBrun: "...very preliminary discussion between Pittsburgh and Dallas." (Fleury)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Penguins trade Fleury at $4.75 million ($1 million retained)
Stars trade Niemi and a 2nd/3rd

The Stars upgrade in net for only $750k more in cap and a 2nd/3rd. Pens get a replacement goalie and a trade asset.

Given where dallas projects you dont trade a 2nd dor fluery.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Just FYI about MAF. JR said this yesterday:

Sounds like theres zero pressure to move MAF before the ED cuz he'll waive.
More from that interview made it sound like JR would only move him if it's something MAF wanted to do + it made sense for PIT to do it.

even if we have to buy him out there is still very little pressure to trade him........but it also sets the bar low .....as anything better would be a good trade. imo

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
When asked when/if he gets calls on MAF, will he listen?

(JR) I'll listen and if anything comes along, i'll bring it to the goalie and talk about it but i have the utmost respect for MAF and i know it's been a difficult situation for him. He's used to playing the majority of the games. He's still a really good goalie. He will be for a number of years but we do have the expansion coming up. We have the Cap to look at next year and of course we're trying to win a SC so it's a little bit of a difficult situation but in an ideal world having both of those goalies going into the PO's will be good for us but we don't always work in an ideal world so we'll see what plays out here in the next few weeks.

Lets mark this down:

1. JR will listen.
2. The expansion draft is a problem.
3. The cap situation is a problem.
4. The world isn't ideal.
5. JR is in a corner.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Preliminary talks is nothing to get worked up about. I would imagine if it were to happen the Pens would be taking one of the Stars goalies back in any deal (assuming they don't need to be protected in the ED).

Please don't do Pittsburgh any favors Dallas! We'll give you Bishop for free if it means Pittsburgh has to protect Fleury instead of Murray

There's no way that's happening under any circumstances. JR has done everything short of coming right out and saying directly that they're keeping Murray no matter what it takes.

Obviously a buyout would be a worst case scenario, but even then if you add up Murray's new contract + inexpensive backup (Jarry is probably ready for promotion next year) + buyout it's essentially the same amount they're spending on goalies this season. I don't really see it coming to that, though. I don't expect a huge return but I'm fairly sure there will be at least some market for MAF, whether it's now or at the end of the season. If not, so be it and buy him out.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
LOL @ nichushkin being involved in the trade, or anything of value, at all, TBH.

Objective observations: Murray just won Pittsburgh a cup, and Fleury has a contract that will force Pittsburgh to protect him over Murray.

Subjective: Murray is the Pens goalie of the future -- but will end up as Las Vegas' goalie of the future instead if he is not protected -- and there WILL be a distraction for both the team and fans the first time Murray has a poor game in the playoffs, so long as fleury is still on the team.

Pittsburgh is posturing, claiming they would happily keep fleury for a playoff run -- but let me assure you, they know they can't risk losing Murray this offseason. They know they need to avoid a goalie controversy in the playoffs, but they need to have a proven guy to turn to in case Murray gets injured. Fleury already said his public goodbye -- he knows he's gone before next season.

Fortunately, the pens can eventually offer up fleury for Lehtonen or Niemi. Maybe they can get Dallas to throw in a low draft pick and save some face, but really what matters is that they avoid exposing Murray and avoid a goalie controversy in the playoffs, while also getting a backup. Dallas gets...im not sure, actually -- maybe they could hope LV takes fleury off their hands, and then make a move for Darling or Bishop.

Whether it's at the deadline or this offseason, Fleury will be getting moved for peanuts. Even suggesting that something like Nichushkin as a return is possible is insane.

There is less than a 0% chance the Pens lose MM in the draft.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Come up with what? It's a serious question. Never seen a situation where a player is injured during expansion. If he had a season ending injury would the Pens be able to buy him out still?

Injured players can't be bought out. I don't see why the expansion draft would have an effect on that.

MAF for Niemi+ makes too much sense to actually happen.

How does it make sense for Dallas ? Another aging, declining, expensive goalie is not one of Dallas' needs.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I'd be down to do something. Would prefer Bishop but Fleury would be ok.

No interest in trading Nichushkin though. He's likely going to come back and be right back in our top 6 next year after Ruff is let go.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
i dont get why dallas would add. all three goalies are average making too much money.
theres really no difference in fleury(.912 Career %)/niemi(.913 Career %)/lehtonen(.912 Career %) so adding a prospect or a pick to maybe upgrade in net, is bad asset management from dallas POV

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
i dont get why dallas would add. all three goalies are average making too much money.
theres really no difference in fleury(.912 Career %)/niemi(.913 Career %)/lehtonen(.912 Career %) so adding a prospect or a pick to maybe upgrade in net, is bad asset management from dallas POV

What the **** do stats from a decade ago have to do with today?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Last 3 years

MAF - .921, .921 .906
KL - .903, .906, .902
AN - .914, .905, .901

Out of nine samples Fleurys ranks as 1st, 2nd and T-4th

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm thinking more along the lines of next season. Fleury's contract will be gone regardless and Pittsburgh could pick up a backup goalie for much cheaper in the offseason plus spend the extra money on more depth. Basically, Pittsburgh has nothing to gain in acquiring an overpaid backup goalie. Dallas would have to seriously overpay for Pittsburgh to consider taking one of the goaltenders from Dallas. If a deal were to be made, I don't see either side retaining any salary unless there was a 3 way deal involved.

I think you are in rose colored glasses world. Pittsburg has to move Fluery or lose their Goalie of the future. Fact.

Everyone knows this. Fact.

Only a handful of teams are in need of a starter making for a small trading market. Fact.

I know fans always look for ideal returns for their team and never consider teams taking lesser assets to get something done but it happens again and again. Pittsburgh needs a few things to make this work.

They need a willing partner
They need someone who can take his salary

Now if they have to straight up trade him for one of Dallas's goalies it may appear to be a loss but in reality it's a gain because they get to protect their boy. So how much is their goalie of the future worth to them? I'll wager at least a first round pick.

So you find a way to make it work knowing you have a good player but are in a weak position. If that means an overpaid back up it could come to that, if it means keeping part of Fleury's salary it could also come to that. If it means throwing away a prospect or picks, these could also happen. Keep in mind Dallas (or whoever) can do nothing forcing the Pens to buy out Fluery. Then they can deal with Vegas after the X Draft and get a goalie from them. Keep in mind Vegas may also take that overpriced back up or could be persuaded to freeing up money.

How their Gm manages this problem could be quite interesting. My hunch is they keep both until after the playoffs and then they eat some salary to move Fleury.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
If those three goalies were the same, Dallas wouldn't even consider to trade for Fleury.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
well today. theyre all near each other. while fleury being on a stanley cup team. fleury behind dallas's team, his stats would be even worse.

1. I didnt realize that today's stats are the only ones that matter. Over a pretty good and yet still relevant sample Fleury has been considerably better than both.

2. Your obviously missing the point that Dallas thinks he would be an upgrade or the wouldnt be discussing him in the first place.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Dallas has over 10 million wrapped up in their two goalies. One of them has to go back and I can't imagine Pittsburgh would want to fill up their remaining cap space with a backup goalie.

IMO, if anything is done it has to be a 3 way deal where one of the Dallas goaltenders is traded to another team. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Maybe one of them is bought out just before the expansion draft (unless they changed the rules to deny buying out a contract before the exp. draft)? Only way I can see a deal happening.

UMMM ... Pittsburgh could easily buyout Niemi and his cost is cheaper to buyout than MAF. Not hard on this one. Dallas would have to add a pick or a decent prospect to offset the fact we are sending the better goalie.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As someone pointed out, Niemi was signed in part because of his Cup winning experience. It hasn't seemed to be helping his current play. So, yeah, Stars would be wary signing MAF on past experience. And, while he does have a Cup on a good team, he also has some playoff miscues, similar to Kari's, and that is one of the reasons we don't trust Kari.

Again, my guess is Nill is only showing interest, but it is far from his prime option. Not that it couldn't come to pass if he gets itchy fingers before UFA.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Because MAF is the better goalie of the three. That is why they have to add. Using career save percentage in this is a bit of a joke. With the way the Pens play a loose style on defense during MAF, his save percentage would be quite a bit better if he played in Dallas. People who understand this fact know why Dallas would have to add. Not rocket science.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Because MAF is the better goalie of the three. That is why they have to add. Using career save percentage in this is a bit of a joke. With the way the Pens play a loose style on defense during MAF, his save percentage would be quite a bit better if he played in Dallas. People who understand this fact know why Dallas would have to add. Not rocket science.

I think you're confused. We're talking about the Dallas Stars. League leader in SHG against. Probably the league leader in odd man rushes against if they tracked that stat. Noted poor defensive team. You'd be hard pressed to find a team with a looser style of defense than the Dallas Stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad