LeBrun: "...very preliminary discussion between Pittsburgh and Dallas." (Fleury)

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
When I think teams who could use another mediocre overpriced goalie, Dallas is the first that comes to mind

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Dallas has over 10 million wrapped up in their two goalies. One of them has to go back and I can't imagine Pittsburgh would want to fill up their remaining cap space with a backup goalie.

IMO, if anything is done it has to be a 3 way deal where one of the Dallas goaltenders is traded to another team. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Maybe one of them is bought out just before the expansion draft (unless they changed the rules to deny buying out a contract before the exp. draft)? Only way I can see a deal happening.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dallas has over 10 million wrapped up in their two goalies. One of them has to go back and I can't imagine Pittsburgh would want to fill up their remaining cap space with a backup goalie.

IMO, if anything is done it has to be a 3 way deal where one of the Dallas goaltenders is traded to another team. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Maybe one of them is bought out just before the expansion draft (unless they changed the rules to deny buying out a contract before the exp. draft)?

leafs could probably take on one of those tenders and send back a cost efficient McEhlinney.

the question is what would they get to help facilitate a pit-dal deal?

Dallas: Fleury
Pittsburgh: McEhlinney, Nichuskin
Toronto: Niemi, ??? from Dallas

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

IMO, if anything is done it has to be a 3 way deal where one of the Dallas goaltenders is traded to another team. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Maybe one of them is bought out just before the expansion draft (unless they changed the rules to deny buying out a contract before the exp. draft)? Only way I can see a deal happening.

Not certain I follow here. That money's already spent currently. Are you suggesting that Dallas would eat Fleury's entire salary?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Fleury at $4.75 million ($1 million retained)
Stars trade Niemi and a 2nd/3rd

The Stars upgrade in net for only $750k more in cap and a 2nd/3rd. Pens get a replacement goalie and a trade asset.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

The Stars upgrade in net for only $750k more in cap and a 2nd/3rd. Pens get a replacement goalie and a trade asset.

plus of course, the Pens can then protect Murray in expansion instead of being forced to protect Fleury.

Does Fleury waive his NMC though? I'd think he'd prefer to be bought out, but then again maybe he thinks Dallas is a fit. He'd want to stay with Pittsburgh for the playoffs though.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

If Stars were still competing I think they'd do it 100%, but right now I'm not sure.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
plus of course, the Pens can then protect Murray in expansion instead of being forced to protect Fleury.

Does Fleury waive his NMC though? I'd think he'd prefer to be bought out, but then again maybe he thinks Dallas is a fit. He'd want to stay with Pittsburgh for the playoffs though.

I can't see Fleury not agreeing to waive to go to another team. He's won 2 cups with Pittsburgh and knows his time is coming to an end. Why would he try to hold back the franchise that developed him? Murray is a the goalie of the future it has nothing to do with Fleury ability. He's still has a lot left in the tank :yo:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Buyout only makes sense if he thinks he will get a contract that will cover the money he is losing or giving him more overall which is not certain at all.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
leafs could probably take on one of those tenders and send back a cost efficient McEhlinney.

Niemi is terrible. Whatever that question mark would be it have to be a pretty damn piece coming back because it makes zero sense to trade our backup for Niemi and something insignificant,

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Please don't do Pittsburgh any favors Dallas! We'll give you Bishop for free if it means Pittsburgh has to protect Fleury instead of Murray

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
LOL @ nichushkin being involved in the trade, or anything of value, at all, TBH.

Objective observations: Murray just won Pittsburgh a cup, and Fleury has a contract that will force Pittsburgh to protect him over Murray.

Subjective: Murray is the Pens goalie of the future -- but will end up as Las Vegas' goalie of the future instead if he is not protected -- and there WILL be a distraction for both the team and fans the first time Murray has a poor game in the playoffs, so long as fleury is still on the team.

Pittsburgh is posturing, claiming they would happily keep fleury for a playoff run -- but let me assure you, they know they can't risk losing Murray this offseason. They know they need to avoid a goalie controversy in the playoffs, but they need to have a proven guy to turn to in case Murray gets injured. Fleury already said his public goodbye -- he knows he's gone before next season.

Fortunately, the pens can eventually offer up fleury for Lehtonen or Niemi. Maybe they can get Dallas to throw in a low draft pick and save some face, but really what matters is that they avoid exposing Murray and avoid a goalie controversy in the playoffs, while also getting a backup. Dallas gets...im not sure, actually -- maybe they could hope LV takes fleury off their hands, and then make a move for Darling or Bishop.

Whether it's at the deadline or this offseason, Fleury will be getting moved for peanuts. Even suggesting that something like Nichushkin as a return is possible is insane.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

The days of the Leafs picking up other teams garbage with prospects and picks are over.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

See Pitts should do a deal like this, turn around and use said value acquired to bribe Vegas to take Niemi from them in the expansion draft

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
This is not news, GMs call each other about all players constantly, and if this was news LeBrun wouldn't have reported that reportedly there were talks in the piece he wrote for ESPN, he'd have saved that scoop for his readers instead of a hit for some radio station.

Please don't do Pittsburgh any favors Dallas! We'll give you Bishop for free if it means Pittsburgh has to protect Fleury instead of Murray

Well that's all the arm twisting I needed.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Why the Pens do it: We are ****ed if Murray goes down for significant time anyway. We are ****ed if we have to expose Murray. The longer we wait the more likely it is no one will help us. Buying out Fleury is gross mismanagement of the cap and a silly pipe dream. Welp times up and we are done posturing and pretending like we trust "Flower", lets trade him to the only market that wants him.

Why the Stars do it: We are ****ed with Lehtonen and Niemi. We are are ****ed if we can't sign Bishop in the offseason and putting all our eggs in that basket is probably stupid and risky. Lets take the mediocre lower risk/lower reward solution rather than looking for a long term solution. It can't get any worse right?

Result:

Pens: Murray never gets injured and they end up never needing Fleury, Niemi looks ok in the few games/reliefs he plays and no one cares.

Stars: Dallas finally gets slightly above average goaltending for the BARGAIN cost of nearly 12 million in cap space next season. Fleury goes on a tear this season and plays well enough to ensure that Dallas gets the 9th seed in the West and the worst draft position possible.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Buyout only makes sense if he thinks he will get a contract that will cover the money he is losing or giving him more overall which is not certain at all.

He only loses 1/3rd of his salary via a buyout. He'd have to sign a 2 year 1.9M AAV contract to break even.

The most likely scenario is that a buyout would heavily favour Fleury. He'd likely get a significant raise and would be able to choose his destination out of those looking for a starter. Minimum wage for starting goalies in the NHL is over 4M. When you consider his buyout payments from Pittsburgh in addition to his new contract, Fleury likely ends up being one of the top paid goalies in the league for the next two seasons if he is bought out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Does Fleury waive his NMC though?
I'd think he'd prefer to be bought out, but then again maybe he thinks Dallas is a fit. He'd want to stay with Pittsburgh for the playoffs though.

Fleury only has a 12 team NTC, so he wouldn't need to waive his NMC. I really don't see any reason that Fleury would have Dallas on his NTC.

Why the Pens do it: We are ****ed if Murray goes down for significant time anyway. We are ****ed if we have to expose Murray. The longer we wait the more likely it is no one will help us. Buying out Fleury is gross mismanagement of the cap and a silly pipe dream. Welp times up and we are done posturing and pretending like we trust "Flower", lets trade him to the only market that wants him.

Why the Stars do it: We are ****ed with Lehtonen and Niemi. We are are ****ed if we can't sign Bishop in the offseason and putting all our eggs in that basket is probably stupid and risky. Lets take the mediocre lower risk/lower reward solution rather than looking for a long term solution. It can't get any worse right?

Result:

Pens: Murray never gets injured and they end up never needing Fleury, Niemi looks ok in the few games/reliefs he plays and no one cares.

Stars: Dallas finally gets slightly above average goaltending for the BARGAIN cost of nearly 12 million in cap space next season. Fleury goes on a tear this season and plays well enough to ensure that Dallas gets the 9th seed in the West and the worst draft position possible.

I honestly can't see Fleury to Dallas happening without the Penguins retaining salary on Fleury's contract. I just can't see it happening.

Well Bishop is a UFA, so that's not exactly anything of value. And if the Stars get Bishop and aren't interested in Fleury, the Penguins would just buy Fleury out.

If Stars were still competing I think they'd do it 100%, but right now I'm not sure.

If Dallas feels like they can get back to where they were last year for next season, I think they'd have to seriously consider it. Even if it doesn't happen until the offseason, they'd be probably taking themselves into a playoff spot by making that kind of move plus bringing in some D help and getting everyone healthy.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not certain I follow here. That money's already spent currently. Are you suggesting that Dallas would eat Fleury's entire salary?

I'm thinking more along the lines of next season. Fleury's contract will be gone regardless and Pittsburgh could pick up a backup goalie for much cheaper in the offseason plus spend the extra money on more depth. Basically, Pittsburgh has nothing to gain in acquiring an overpaid backup goalie. Dallas would have to seriously overpay for Pittsburgh to consider taking one of the goaltenders from Dallas. If a deal were to be made, I don't see either side retaining any salary unless there was a 3 way deal involved.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm thinking more along the lines of next season. Fleury's contract will be gone regardless and Pittsburgh could pick up a backup goalie for much cheaper in the offseason plus spend the extra money on more depth. Basically, Pittsburgh has nothing to gain in acquiring an overpaid backup goalie. Dallas would have to seriously overpay for Pittsburgh to consider taking one of the goaltenders from Dallas. If a deal were to be made, I don't see either side retaining any salary unless there was a 3 way deal involved.

If the Penguins buyout Fleury, they'd only have $2 million to spend on a backup to equal the price of Niemi. That $1.916 million cap hit is a penalty for 4 years too. Even if the Penguins retain $1 million of Fleury's contract, they come out at +$750k for next year, +$4.75 million after Niemi leaves as a UFA and $5.75 million after 18-19. If they buyout Fleury, they come out at +$3.834 million over the next 2 years and then go -$1.916 million over the 2 years after that, both of which while needing a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad