LeBrun: "...very preliminary discussion between Pittsburgh and Dallas." (Fleury)

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Destroy the future?? You have got to be kidding. A buyout will not destroy the team, if it comes to that. Toxic?

Learn to read?

Make a list of all the fanbases who want Fleury. Make a list of all the people who are having kittens about NMCs and a list of all the people that are pumped their team gave out a bunch of NMCs and compare the two. In the unlikely event he can't be moved or bought out he will destroy the future of your team. What do you think toxic means?

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
problem is Nill is great at scouting forwards, not so hot on scouting D and goalies

its evident in the moves he has made as well. Oduya and Hamhuis are terrific dmen, in the right situation. Problem is thats not the situation in Dallas

The net issues have long been addressed at this point

Dallas has "nice" young dmen in Johns, Lindell, Honka, but nothing with VERY promising upside

Unfortunately Dallas might be resorted to trying to outbid the FA market moving forward to improve the blue line

I guess it depends on your definition of very promising. In most definitions, Honka is that. He was asked for by NYR in the Talbot discussions but that's when Nill walked away the first time. Knowing what Edmonton ended up paying, I consider it a big failure that Nill wasn't able to work a deal. He valued his picks too highly and thought it was better to hit the free agent market instead. I wonder if that mistake plays a roll in his decision making this time around.

I know there were a few on the Stars page not on board with acquiring Cam Talbot and they like to downplay the reality, the reality that it was a mistake by Jim Nill to bail on trade talk, and the reality that Talbot would have solved our goaltending issues and this thread wouldn't even exist.

As for our defense, there's no doubt that Jim Nill likes what he has personnel-wise, meaning he has high hopes for the kids we're discussing, Hamhuis and Oduya are stop-gaps until these kids are mature and can hopefully become those legit NHL defensemen teams pine for. I almost want to say he expected the growing pains and a little slide, though not this big one with every other problem compounding things. I'm not sure he desires to throw big $$ around to fix holes back there, ie 6-7 mill for a Kevin Shattenkirk.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I wonder when the first PIT fan starts a thread 'What will your team give to trade for Matt Murray?'

Nobody cares about Fleury.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Learn to read?

"In the unlikely event he can't be moved or bought out he will destroy the future of your team."

How can he not be bought out as last resort? Unlikely event, how about impossible. I read just fine. Your statement of "toxic" is just laughable which is whole point.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
How can he not be bought out as last resort? They will buy him out if necessary. Unlikely, how about impossible. I read just fine. Your statement of "toxic" is just laughable which is whole point.

Because you can't buyout somebody who is injured. Were you asleep the past 8 months and therefore missed the Cowen thing? A concussion or ACL tear and that's all she wrote.

To be fair you can buy them out with their consent but an injury that would significantly hamper his ability to play hockey again would make it tough to throw away almost 4m.

I said "unlikely" not "impossible" for a reason.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Because you can't buyout somebody who is injured. Were you asleep the past 8 months and therefore missed the Cowen thing? A concussion or ACL tear and that's all she wrote.

To be fair you can buy them out with their consent but an injury that would significantly hamper his ability to play hockey again would make it tough to throw away almost 4m.

I said "unlikely" not "impossible" for a reason.

I actually forgot about that but I still laugh at the description of Fleury being toxic. Your insulting attitude above is equally laughable. I will take the Pens goalie situation above the Stars even in the very "unlikely" event the Pens would have to trade Murray if MAF got injured in the limited playing time he will see. Our prospect pool is very strong at the position.

Pens have decisions to make but none will destroy the organization as you describe.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I actually forgot about that but I still laugh at the description of Fleury being toxic. Your insulting attitude above is equally laughable. I will take the Pens goalie situation above the Stars even in the very "unlikely" event the Pens would have to trade Murray if MAF got injured in the limited playing time he will see. Our prospect pool is very strong at the position.

Pens have decisions to make but none will destroy the organization as you describe.

1. You need to get him away from your team very badly. Does this not fit the definition of toxic?

2. I'm tempted to circle back here to "learn to read." If Fleury got too injured to be bought out you'd have no Murray and also be stuck with super busted Fleury and his cap hit. It might be just my insulting attitude, but it seems to me like a budding superstar goalie is the difference between a short playoffs and a cup for your team over the past decade. Call me crazy, but I'd substantially lower the odds of a repeat if Murray got injured and you had healthy Fleury. Again I'll say this is not likely, but your issue was not that I thought it was likely but that you just forgot a key part about how buyouts work despite an unwavering faith in them as your solution to this problem.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
1. You need to get him away from your team very badly. Does this not fit the definition of toxic?

2. I'm tempted to circle back here to "learn to read." If Fleury got too injured to be bought out you'd have no Murray and also be stuck with super busted Fleury and his cap hit. It might be just my insulting attitude, but it seems to me like a budding superstar goalie is the difference between a short playoffs and a cup for your team over the past decade. Call me crazy, but I'd substantially lower the odds of a repeat if Murray got injured and you had healthy Fleury. Again I'll say this is not likely, but your issue was not that I thought it was likely but that you just forgot a key part about how buyouts work despite an unwavering faith in them as your solution to this problem.

1) No, not at all.
2) Or... Rutherford gets MAF to waive his NMC. Vola, problem solved (at least the ED portion of it).

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Apparently Dallas has at least a passing interest, otherwise LeBrun's article, which resulted in the OP, wouldn't exist.

Of course some teams are interested to get rid of a goalie or think they could get something for a goalie so they call other teams to see if there is interest. That's just normal. Beside DAL and PIT there might be

ARI Smith
CAR Lack
COL Varlamov
NYI Halak
OTT Hammond
TBL Bishop
VAN Miller
WPG Pavelec / Hutchinson

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Of course some teams are interested to get rid of a goalie or think they could get something for a goalie so they call other teams to see if there is interest. That's just normal. Beside DAL and PIT there might be

ARI Smith
CAR Lack
COL Varlamov
NYI Halak
OTT Hammond
TBL Bishop
VAN Miller
WPG Pavelec / Hutchinson

But the point is Dallas has called about Fleury's availability, which goes completely against your statement that nobody cares about Fleury. Unless you were referring specifically to fans on HF, in which case, what does that matter? JR's not dealing with HF fans, he's dealing with other NHL GMs.

And before you ask, "how do you know it wasn't Pittsburgh approaching Dallas", I'm basing it off of Rutherford's numerous comments about a possible Fleury trade. He's been adamant that he'll listen to offers, but he won't be the one that goes looking for a deal because he's content with keeping both goalies and dealing with the situation after the playoffs. So unless he's a complete liar, then it's clear Dallas has interest in Fleury and approached JR to talk about it.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
But the point is Dallas has called about Fleury's availability, which goes completely against your statement that nobody cares about Fleury.

That's not what the article says. It says there's been a bit of contact. It says nothing about who initiated it. You're assuming it was Dallas but it could just as easily have been Pittsburgh calling and saying "Hey Fleury is available if you want a goalie" and Nill saying "Thanks I'll keep that in mind." GMs talk all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's not what the article says. It says there's been a bit of contact. It says nothing about who initiated it. You're assuming it was Dallas but it could just as easily have been Pittsburgh calling and saying "Hey Fleury is available if you want a goalie" and Nill saying "Thanks I'll keep that in mind." GMs talk all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I specifically said in my post (you left out the relevant part that covers this) that JR has gone on record numerous times saying he won't be approaching other teams about Fleury. If he gets calls, he'll listen. If Fleury demands a trade, he'll accommodate. But unless he's a liar -- and he has stated this numerous times -- he will NOT approach a team about actively shopping Fleury.

So yes, unless JR is a big fat liar who has done the exact opposite of what he's stated numerous times in interviews, it was Dallas who approached JR about Fleury, not the other way around.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a team manages to leverage Pittsburgh into giving up assets to unload Fleury. Nill seems like the type of dbag that would do that too, look at the Sharp trade which has turned out to be really bad for the Hawks.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That's not what the article says.

answered NHL Insider Pierre LeBrun when asked the question Wednesday afternoon on Toronto’s TSN 1050.
I think Jim Nill knows that. He’s not saying it to anyone because it doesn’t do him any service ..... I’m told that there at least been a very preliminary discussion between Pittsburgh and Dallas regarding Marc-Andre Fleury, but I stress preliminary because I don’t think there’s anything there at this point. But certainly there’s been contact and sometimes you just do that so that if you have to circle back at the last moment, you know that you’ve at least established contact. ..... the team save percentage speaks fairly loudly. They need saves.

LeBrun thinks ... but Jim Nil is not saying it ... and LeBrun doesn't know this:
.9337 EVsave% Murray
.9229 EVsave% Lehtonen
.9169 EVsave% Fleury
.9164 EVsave% Niemi

So this is all crap. Only Murray would help DAL. :joker:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
But the point is Dallas has called about Fleury's availability ,,, it's clear Dallas has interest in Fleury and approached JR to talk about it.

Nobody knows who called whom. There might be scheduled talks every Tuesday at 4pm.
DAL might be only interested in Murray because Fleury isn't better.
Fleury is #46 in EVsave%. Why should anybody be interested in him at his salary.
Nobody cares about Fleury, but only PIT might care about Niemi who is #47.
Talks must have been in the past and before Feb04 Fleury was even behind Niemi.

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
answered NHL Insider Pierre LeBrun when asked the question Wednesday afternoon on Toronto’s TSN 1050.
I think ...
I’m told that ...
... the team save percentage speaks fairly loudly.

LeBrun is a bad thinker. Even Eklund could analyse the team save percentage better.

JR just might have asked LeBrun to help him out because the fans are getting crazy.
And that's of course something people in the media would do, to keep in touch and in hope to get a real story next.
LeBrun the Warmduscher.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if a team manages to leverage Pittsburgh into giving up assets to unload Fleury. Nill seems like the type of dbag that would do that too, look at the Sharp trade which has turned out to be really bad for the Hawks.

Bitter hawks fan? Is a gm not supposed to do what is best for his team.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Pittsburgh has Zero leverage Dallas gets a 1st round draft pick and Pens take back 1 of the two Dallas goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00