Rumor: Versteeg to Sign 1 Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
pot meet kettle.

He wasn't playing above Eberle or Drai, and if Pulju sticks, he would be basically be a 4th liner.

Or he could play w/ JG in Calgary and be closer to home.

Really a no brainer for him.

Pot meet kettle? :help:

Draa is a 20 year old centre. Pulu is a raw rookie with virtually no NA experience.

Again...this is very clear. The Oilers value rookies more than experience.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So they value rooks more than vets because they offered a vet a contract...

Your screeds against Chia/this move lack even the most basic reasoning. You want to be upset about something and have chosen this ant hill to die on.

They offered him a contract because having him as third line insurance was better than nothing, but they still value youth and rookies above him. If they didn't, he'd be playing on the second line and we wouldn't be going into the season with a rookie line.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Draa is a 20 year old centre. Pulu is a raw rookie with virtually no NA experience.

And if Versteeg says "No thanks I want to sign in Calgary where they'll offer me more opportunity to play"?

Because that's what happened here. If Versteeg doesn't want to sign then that's the end of it, just like any other UFA.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They offered him a contract because having him as third line insurance was better than nothing, but they still value youth and rookies above him. If they didn't, he'd be playing on the second line and we wouldn't be going into the season with a rookie line.

Or he could go to Calgary and play on their top line.

Not a difficult decision if you're Versteeg.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Or he could go to Calgary and play on their top line.

Not a difficult decision if you're Versteeg.

Calgary didn't offer him a contract until they signed Gaudreau. Chia had weeks to sign him but opted to wait and wait (and not get any other option!) because he values rookies over vets. I'm with guymez. It's very clear that his priorities are the rookies getting ice time.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

So the oiler's should of tied him down and forced him to sign a contract? Is that what you think.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You say 'by virtue of their actions', but other than confirmation that both teams offered him a contract and he took the offer from Calgary, we don't know anything else.

Sure you can build up a scenario where you can ask why the Oilers didn't try to outbid the Flames for his services, but it's just as feasible to suggest that Versteeg saw the opportunity to get 1st line minutes right out of the gate playing wing on a team with atrocious wing depth and jumped at it, not even giving the Oilers the chance to counter offer.

Obviously we know the Oilers attached at least some value to Versteeg, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with a contract offer at all. It's unfortunate, but given his IMO mediocre training camp (and subsequent groin injury) I'm not exactly heartbroken over it.

Here is how I read this. 2 teams offered Versteeg a contract...the same contract by all reports. Versteeg then inquires about how he will be utilized. The Oilers tell him that its likely in a 3rd/4th line role which is why they wont move on the contract amount.
So if the player is going to make the same money but has a chance to get more minutes with better players of course he is going to sign with Calgary. Chiarelli clearly said that they had a ceiling for this contract.

My point was that the Oilers didnt see Versteeg as a better option than the rookies which is why they wouldn't budge on the contract.

Why...because they value rookies more than experience which is exactly what I have been stating here.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Calgary didn't offer him a contract until they signed Gaudreau. Chia had weeks to sign him but opted to wait and wait (and not get any other option!) because he values rookies over vets. I'm with guymez. It's very clear that his priorities are the rookies getting ice time.

And where does it say when the contract was offered from the Oilers?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

And if Versteeg wanted to weigh his options before signing a deal? Players know there's more out there if they wait. That's the point of a PTO. Not just to show the team that signed you what you can do but also to show other teams what you're capable of.

The player decides when he signs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Here is how I read this. 2 teams offered Versteeg a contract...the same contract by all reports. Versteeg then inquires about how he will be utilized. The Oilers tell him that its likely in a 3rd/4th line role which is why they wont move on the contract amount.
So if the player is going to make the same money but has a chance to get more minutes with better players of course he is going to sign with Calgary. Chiarelli clearly said that they had a ceiling for this contract.

My point was that the Oilers didnt see Versteeg as a better option than the rookies which is why they wouldn't budge on the contract.

Why...because they value rookies more than experience which is exactly what I have been stating here.

Top line on Flames > Anything the Oilers could've offered. That's the end of the story guymez. Better opportunity trumps more money easily.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So the oiler's should of tied him down and forced him to sign a contract? Is that what you think.

You make it difficult for Versteeg to sign elsewhere by telling him that he is a 2nd/3rd line winger on this team and then you offer him $300K to $400K more. It doesnt impact the cap at all and you get an experienced player filling a role in a position that is a clear weakness.

This is already crystal clear but I will say it once again....the Oilers value rookies more than experience in this case.
That IMO is troubling.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Eberle and Draisaitl aren't rookies though, so where would he play in the top 6?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You make it difficult for Versteeg to sign elsewhere by telling him that he is a 2nd/3rd line winger on this team and then you offer him $300K to $400K more. It doesnt impact the cap at all and you get an experienced player filling a role in a position that is a clear weakness.

This is already crystal clear but I will say it once again....the Oilers value rookies more than experience in this case.
That IMO is troubling.

And if the Flames say "Come play with Gaudreau and Monahan!"? Easy decision. Will guarantee much more money on the next contract.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Top line on Flames > Anything the Oilers could've offered. That's the end of the story guymez. Better opportunity trumps more money easily.

Why...because you say so?
Where is the evidence that Versteeg would turn down ANYTHING the Oilers offered?

If Versteeg is a 2nd line winger on this team he is one injury away from playing with McDavid.

Your argument holds no water.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Where is the evidence that Versteeg would turn down ANYTHING the Oilers offered?

If Versteeg is a 2nd line winger on this team he is one injury away from playing with McDavid.

Where is your evidence that any amount of money would of gotten him here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Because there's a lot more money to be had in the future if he goes to Calgary and plays on the top line. The difference this year is not even a million, half a million max. Whereas if he puts up 25 on Calgary's top line teams are going to look at him a lot better than if he's toiling on the Oilers middle/bottom 6 maybe breaking double digits.

Which situation do you think gets him more money on this next contract?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
its funny how people say value rookies ahead of experience.
Looch, Ebs, Poo, Maroon, Nuge (5 of 6 are vets)... Drais is in his 3rd year coming off solid 50 +points in his first full year and he plays CENTRE which trumps everything, McDavid is God, maroon (who outplayed versteeg in every facet) is 20 twenty times better.

wingers are dime a dozen.

Versteeg was competing with a guy like Drake and Drake showed ALOT better.

Injury history to boot.

So... what rookie beat Versteeg out of a top six role?
*crickets*

oh and if versteeg is half-way intelligent he knows track record of guys who miss TC and pre-season of sustaining significant injuries. (gaudreau)
he also knows they have weaknesses throughout their offense. injury history. damaged goods. reclamation project.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
why are we butchering Chia for not signing Versteeg to play on our 3rd/4th lines and not loling at the flames for signing a guy we didnt really want to play on their top line ? lol flames

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
so the oilers signed Russel for a limited 2nd / 3rd pairing role and the internets blow up. The flames sign Versteeg for a 1st line role and it is a good signing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad