Rumor: Versteeg to Sign 1 Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I prefer if it was under $1.5M

Very happy with the forward lineup now and relieved we don't have to shoehorn Yak into it.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
Well, we all knew Yak and Verteeg, among others, were fighting for the same spot. No need to give Gregor any credit

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
yeah i JUSt predicted that after Russell, Versteeg will get done. Came out of the Russell thread and see this one

i will wait for a reputable source (like Elliotte with the Russell news) before i consider it done.

Common sense dictates it gets done.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
i like our RW a whole lot better now that Yak is gone....Eberle, Puljujarvi, Versteeg and perhaps even Leon.

Drake plays RW more than C, also. He has looked good at pivot.

Maroon plays either wing.
Leon plays either wing.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
yeah i JUSt predicted that after Russell, Versteeg will get done. Came out of the Russell thread and see this one

And to make a stab at some tenuous logic, perhaps the rumor about the Edm/Chi deal for Yak falling apart because they couldn't agree on salary retention was because Chia wanted Yak's money put towards at least partially paying for the signings of Versteeg and Russell?

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I've never been much of a Versteeg fan, but it makes perfect sense considering the Yakupov deal. I'll be expecting solid offensive production out of him.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I've never been much of a Versteeg fan, but it makes perfect sense considering the Yakupov deal. I'll be expecting solid offensive production out of him.

Yeah. 1-year for both Versteeg and Russell is perfectly fine for this upcoming season. After that I hope our prospects can push either of those guys out and/or we sign/trade for better players.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Yeah. 1-year for both Versteeg and Russell is perfectly fine for this upcoming season. After that I hope our prospects can push either of those guys out and/or we sign/trade for better players.

Yep after this season Pulju should make the team and if Drai ends up on the wing there won't be any room on the right.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

It's too bad the Oilers didn't apply this thinking 7 years ago at the start of the rebuild.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep after this season Pulju should make the team and if Drai ends up on the wing there won't be any room on the right.

Long-term the hope would be that we can fill most of the team with whats in the system. If we could have enough guys push their way up from Bakersfield in 2 years we could have this as a lineup:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Nuge-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Caggiula
Slepyshev/Benson-Khaira-Pitlick/Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Benning

Talbot
Brossoit

Really doesn't seem unreasonable imo.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
highly doubt we sign versteeg. waste of roster spot. besides experience, he brings nothing to the game on the ice. if he was a pickup at trade deadline as we're heading to the playoffs, that i could see. signing a washed up 3rd liner thats hardly played nhl the last few years, dumb move for oilers with the other options we have atm.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
highly doubt we sign versteeg. waste of roster spot. besides experience, he brings nothing to the game on the ice. if he was a pickup at trade deadline as we're heading to the playoffs, that i could see. signing a washed up 3rd liner thats hardly played nhl the last few years, dumb move for oilers with the other options we have atm.

What other options? Rushing Puljujarvi into the NHL for no reason?

Versteeg had 38 points last year, which would put him 5th on the Oilers last year.

Granted we had some injury issues, but this guy can still play and contribute, has good hockey I.Q., knows his role, can play on either the second or third line, I don't see what the problem is.

With Yakupov gone, he's basically a no-brainer to sign.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It makes nothing but sense to add veteran players that have a reputation for hard work and knowing how to play the game.

Adding good veterans like Russell and Versteeg is the anti-Oilers thing to do. The Tambellini/MacT era would have been perfectly comfortable running in to the season with what we have and hoping everything works out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It makes nothing but sense to add veteran players that have a reputation for hard work and knowing how to play the game.

Adding good veterans like Russell and Versteeg is the anti-Oilers thing to do. The Tambellini/MacT era would have been perfectly comfortable running in to the season with what we have and hoping everything works out.

Pretty much. In the Tambellini era, Puljujarvi and Benning would be slotted into the opening night line up right now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Versteeg has looked a lot better than Puljujarvi this preseason.. He is also a right shot.. With all the injuries and Yak gone Versteeg becomes part of best possible lineup for start of the season

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's too bad the Oilers didn't apply this thinking 7 years ago at the start of the rebuild.

True, but it did get us a young core of McDavid, Drai and Puljujarvi. That is a group that if you build properly around that has a much better chance at winning a cup. Hopefully the pain was worth it.

Not just hard work, but both of these guys are character veterans, who are very well like by their teammates.

Lucic, Maroon, Sekera, Versteeg, Russell. All great veteran additions by Chiarelli. Then you have a guys like Cagguila and Pitlick working their butts off to earn their spots by Merritt instead of gifting spots or showcasing players like Yak. The culture in that dressing room is going to be night and day difference to last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig