Rumor: Versteeg to Sign 1 Year Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because there's a lot more money to be had in the future if he goes to Calgary and plays on the top line. The difference this year is not even a million, half a million max. Whereas if he puts up 25 on Calgary's top line teams are going to look at him a lot better than if he's toiling on the Oilers middle/bottom 6 maybe breaking double digits.

Which situation do you think gets him more money on this next contract?

Its cool. You clearly dont get what I am posting and I am tired of going around in circles on this.

The team thinks that 2-3 preseason games (Caggiula) matter more than years of NHL experience. The team also thinks that playing a young player out of position (Draisaitl) is a better option than a proven .57ppg player.

So once again...this team clearly values young inexperienced players over veterans.

If all that wasnt true then Veresteeg would be a 2nd line RW at worst and 1 injury away from playing with McDavid.

This is my position.

So the only way you can continue to cling to your position is to ignore what I am posting.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Versteeg made a choice based on how much each team valued his contribution.

Pretty much validates my position. The Oilers valued rookies more than experience which is why Versteeg wasn't getting an opportunity to play top 6 on this team.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Pretty much validates my position. The Oilers valued rookies more than experience which is why Versteeg wasn't getting an opportunity to play top 6 on this team.

what rookie is in the top 6?

*crickets*

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Or the Flames said "Here play on our top line" and that was the end of it.

He CHOSE to go to the Flames. Not any of this "The Oilers didn't sign him" crap.

The Flames were a better, more attractive opportunity. If two girls ask you out and one is prettier and offers "Better things", then you go with her.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton

He wouldn't be playing top 6 because he wouldn't be better than anyone in our top 6. Get that through your head.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So the player chose a better opportunity for himself and somehow it's the Oilers' fault. lol @ some posters here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So the player chose a better opportunity for himself and somehow it's the Oilers' fault. lol @ some posters here.

Anyone in Versteeg's position who doesn't choose the Flames has a few screws loose. It's a no-brainer.

Unless the Oilers promised him time with McDavid it wasn't going to happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Lol indeed...but not in the way you are suggesting.

So you tell me how the opportunity with the Flames would be better if the Oilers valued experience more than inexperience?

Thats exactly the reason why the opportunity in Calgary was better...because the Oilers made a decision to go with inexperienced players in their 2nd and 3rd line.

If that wasnt true then the opportunities would have been more equal.

Make sense?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lol indeed...but not in the way you are suggesting.

So you tell me how the opportunity with the Flames would be better if the Oilers valued experience more than inexperience?

Thats exactly the reason why the opportunity in Calgary was better...because the Oilers made a decision to go with inexperienced players in their 2nd and 3rd line.

If that wasnt true then the opportunities would have been more equal.

Make sense?

Gaudreau and Monahan.

Case closed.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Or the Flames said "Here play on our top line" and that was the end of it.

He CHOSE to go to the Flames. Not any of this "The Oilers didn't sign him" crap.

The Flames were a better, more attractive opportunity. If two girls ask you out and one is prettier and offers "Better things", then you go with her.

Chiarelli is an idiot, he could have signed ristolanen but NOOOOO he was too busy talking to eric grybas to offersheet Rasmus . Too Late now....because chia slept on it he signed with buffalo

#HFOilLogic

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
and with a touch of the button a headache disappeared...

really happy to see versteeg and his injuries go to the flames and help make that team smaller and smaller.

soo many holes on that team

yay

btw how is this thread not closed. no longer concerns the oilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hmmm...so dismiss the counter points and just keep repeating your narrative.

I think we are done.

As much as I'd like to believe they suck, the opportunity to play with them was something the Oilers couldn't offer unless they offered Versteeg a spot on their top line.

It's a no-brainer guymez. The opportunity to play with those two is far better than even playing on the Oilers second line.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Typical HF...dismiss any critical thinking and put the rose colored glasses on to support the team moves.

Tribalism is strong magic.

It is possible to be a fan and still be capable of critical thought.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As much as I'd like to believe they suck, the opportunity to play with them was something the Oilers couldn't offer unless they offered Versteeg a spot on their top line.

It's a no-brainer guymez. The opportunity to play with those two is far better than even playing on the Oilers second line.

Hey man...you haven't bothered to address my points at all. Not once. You just keep repeating your narrative.

No hard feelings but there is no point in continuing here.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Maybe they Value the better players? And Calgary is much weaker than us at the wing.

So we should value someone like Hendricks over Draisaitl cause experience right?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Typical HF...dismiss any critical thinking and put the rose colored glasses on to support the team moves.

I understand what you're saying that maybe the Oilers didn't offer him a good enough opportunity but the Flames offered him something the Oilers couldn't match. An opportunity to play with two very good exciting players on a team that many believe will contend for a playoff spot. (I don't but that's just me)

As much as I love to crap on the Flames, I would've done the same thing in Versteeg's position.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
and with a touch of the button a headache disappeared...

really happy to see versteeg and his injuries go to the flames and help make that team smaller and smaller.

soo many holes on that team

yay

btw how is this thread not closed. no longer concerns the oilers

I think the mods are just letting this one burn itself out.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

It is possible to be a fan and still be capable of critical thought.

Is it possible for you to stop ignoring every point that is brought forward as a counter argument?

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Anyone in Versteeg's position who doesn't choose the Flames has a few screws loose. It's a no-brainer.

Unless the Oilers promised him time with McDavid it wasn't going to happen.
According to our coaches guess he wasn't good enough to play on our top 6. He chose to go to a team where he could make their top 6. I liked Versteeg and thought we would for sure sign him. Oh well ,let Calgary have him, we will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad