Veleno suspended 1 game for "headbutt" vs Russia

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Someone tell the IIHF that they don’t need to rig the games against us anymore ... we got slaughtered with a full lineup

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
???not surprised?
:huh: How do you figure that? Just because I have watched International play and have seen mickey mouse plays garner suspensions does not mean I agree with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The IIHF will do anything for a buck and you know it as well as I do.
Exactly.. pissing off Canada is not profitable at all. Think about it.. Czech's get Junior's and we go to small town Ostrava and Trinec. Both beautiful cities and I'd kill to be there but Brno and Prague are the two big cities. Juniors go to Canada and it's in NHL cities like Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

FTR.. I wish the Juniors would go back to smaller Canadian cities like Hamilton, London etc. The NHL cities have the NHL... let the rest of Canada have the Juniors!

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
As long as the IIHF is consistent in their suspensions, it’s fair.
Everybody with a brain knows the IIHF are ridiculously strict and by the book, quite different from not only the North American rules, but also KHL games Ive seen.

Quit whining, know the rules, don’t be stupid, adjust your game accordingly, and deal with it.
Everybody else is.

Consistent yes, garbage yes. I know the rules and how they apply them. I've always said they are garbage and I still say the same thing. Common sense is required when applying the rules. The Veleno "head butt" is less a penalty than 50 other plays I can show you from todays games even by IIHF standards. The application of this "rule" in this situation is unwarranted, inaccurate and totally unfair to the Canadian team and the fans.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Exactly.. pissing off Canada is not profitable at all. Think about it.. Czech's get Junior's and we go to small town Ostrava and Trinec. Both beautiful cities and I'd kill to be there but Brno and Prague are the two big cities. Juniors go to Canada and it's in NHL cities like Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

FTR.. I wish the Juniors would go back to smaller Canadian cities like Hamilton, London etc. The NHL cities have the NHL... let the rest of Canada have the Juniors!

I don't disagree with a word you said. The real supporters of junior hockey in Canada

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I will wait to see what they do with the dude who headbutted Wahlstrom before I act indignant

soft suspension though. Charmin soft.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Consistent yes, garbage yes. I know the rules and how they apply them. I've always said they are garbage and I still say the same thing. Common sense is required when applying the rules. The Veleno "head butt" is less a penalty than 50 other plays I can show you from todays games even by IIHF standards. The application of this "rule" in this situation is unwarranted, inaccurate and totally unfair to the Canadian team and the fans.

Russia is in a FAR more dire situation than Canada, and it looks like they’ll also be shorthanded vs Germany with a similar head-butting suspension. If the IIHF fails to take action against them, then you have every right to say the IIHF is unfair to Canada. But until then, enough with the persecution complex. Quit whining.

But the rule is cut and dry:

RULE 142 – HEAD-BUTTING DEFINITION: A player who uses his head, with or without his helmet on, to strike an opponent. i. A player who either attempts to head-butt or succeeds in head-butting an opponent will be assessed a match penalty.

Don't want a suspension? Don't be an idiot, ESPECIALLY after the whistle and for a non-traditional hockey act like head-butting. The overzealous IIHF will call that every-time. This isnt rocket science.

Last edited:

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
The IIHF WJHC group that hands out suspensions has been overzealous and authoritative in years past.

They seem to put themselves above the players, teams and on-ice product.

They suspended Sweden coaches and players for taking off their medals in 2018 ceremony. Who cares? It's an emotional game.

Canada has had one suspension, it seems, every year for the last decade ... why would this year be different?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Russia is in a FAR more dire situation than Canada, and it looks like they’ll also be shorthanded vs Germany with a similar head-butting suspension. If the IIHF fails to take action against them, then you have every right to say the IIHF is unfair to Canada. But until then, enough with the persecution complex. Quit whining.

But the rule is cut and dry:

RULE 142 – HEAD-BUTTING DEFINITION: A player who uses his head, with or without his helmet on, to strike an opponent. i. A player who either attempts to head-butt or succeeds in head-butting an opponent will be assessed a match penalty.

Don't want a suspension? Don't be an idiot, ESPECIALLY after the whistle and for a non-traditional hockey act like head-butting. The overzealous IIHF will call that every-time. This isnt rocket science.

I'm simply stating fact not whining. The rule and the interpretation of that rule as to what constitutes a suspension or a 2 minute penalty, a dangerous play or a play hazardous to the physical well being of a player is bullshit. Rules are set to organize the play according to the activity, to play fairly and to allow you to play with a reasonable expectation of safety. It's a cheap call and makes no sense what so ever.

Based on that rule and call a team that had already lost two players to injury, could have a third suspended for the championship game. Why the hell would you even bother to play It's ridiculous. You win on the ice, the playing field not in the boardroom.

By the way I have a long list compiled over 60 years of occasions where Canada has been shafted by the IIHF. I assure you that I don't have a persecution complex.

Reactions: nucks88

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Y'all can quote the rulebook all ya want but there was clearly no force behind the contact and no intent to injure. Super soft.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
I'm simply stating fact not whining. The rule and the interpretation of that rule as to what constitutes a suspension or a 2 minute penalty, a dangerous play or a play hazardous to the physical well being of a player is bull****. Rules are set to organize the play according to the activity, to play fairly and to allow you to play with a reasonable expectation of safety. It's a cheap call and makes no sense what so ever.

Based on that rule and call a team that had already lost two players to injury, could have a third suspended for the championship game. Why the hell would you even bother to play It's ridiculous. You win on the ice, the playing field not in the boardroom.

By the way I have a long list compiled over 60 years of occasions where Canada has been shafted by the IIHF. I assure you that I don't have a persecution complex.
You’re whining. You’re wrong

Reactions: UnSandvich

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
IIHF has ruled that even an attempt to headbutt a player is a match penalty. Veleno certainly did headbutt his opponent, no matter how "soft" it was.

It's one of these things that they have zero tolerance for. Sometimes the NA refs and rulebook allow it bit more use of common sense, but under IIHF thse rules are enforced very strictly and it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad