Veleno suspended 1 game for "headbutt" vs Russia

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Veleno is gone, suspended a game for 'head-butting' and Hayton could be suspended for not removing his helmet for the national anthem after the bad loss to the Russians.

Not getting positive vibes about this Canadian junior entry. Discipline, discipline.. discipline.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is in the running for most ridiculous suspension in the history of the sport. I can't even believe it. That's not a penalty, that's not a suspension, that's not anything. The words they're saying in that clip are no doubt 10x more violent than Veleno's head movement.

If Veleno had meant to do damage, he would have. Suspending for a violent headbutt requires the bizarre assumption that Veleno's neck is not strong enough to hit the Russian player any harder than this. It's a wonder his head doesn't roll clean off his shoulders.

Besides, what about the little headbutts players give their goalies? What are we doing to prevent these nightly vicious assaults? It's an epidemic!

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
So Veleno is gone, suspended a game for 'head-butting' and Hayton could be suspended for not removing his helmet for the national anthem after the bad loss to the Russians.

Not getting positive vibes about this Canadian junior entry. Discipline, discipline.. discipline.

Where are you seeing that? f***ing unbelievable.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Why wasn't it called right away? Why the wait until after the USA-Russia game has ended to release the suspension? I've had a lifetime of Canada getting screwed in international hockey.

Are we allowed to substitute and extra forward? What would happen if we were already two forwards short with injury. The damn result should be decided on the ice and not in the boardroom. It's bull****.

Weak call but that’s a head-butt nonetheless.

If the IIHF doesn't suspend the Russian kid, only then can you legitimately claim a bias exists against Canada.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If that's a headbutt then I don't blame Hayton for not removing his helmet during the anthem. I see more dangerous things happen during a national anthem than that, we can't be too careful.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Good suspension, I thought it was weird that it never came up until now. Headbutting is typically a game misconduct then suspension in international play. The rules are a lot more strict. I expect the Russian that headbutted Wahlstrom today to be suspended tomorrow as well.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
From the IIHF rule book:

RULE 142 – HEAD-BUTTING DEFINITION: A player who uses his head, with or without his helmet on, to strike an opponent. i. A player who either attempts to head-butt or succeeds in head-butting an opponent will be assessed a match penalty.

Pretty easy call, it's really black or white, no room for interpretation there.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Was a dumb move by Valeno, all head butt violations should result in a suspension then.

Canadian team will need to have more disciplined effort going forward.
True but it's hard no to be a bit upset when Rtischev did the same thing,proof is on video and nothing is done.

Reactions: wacko2

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Between this and the reffing during the Germany vs. Czech Republic game, this tournament is quickly becoming unwatchable.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Everybody and their grandmother knows the IIHF calls games strictly by the book.
Yet people still pretend to be outraged when it happens.
Deal with it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No Lafreniere or Veleno for Canada makes the Germany game a lot more interesting.

Canada still the favorite, but the Germans have been real good.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Veleno is probably glad he won't have to play against Seider. :sarcasm:

As for the headbutt, I guess it technically was one, but I don't think this should be a suspension.
Tell him to cut it out and not to do it again, and if he does it again, then suspend him.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
And nothing for Sokolov's cheap shot. But you have to know that the headbutt is a dumb idea. They don't judge things by common sense or their actual violence, just by superficial categorization.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Weak call but that’s a head-butt nonetheless.

If the IIHF doesn't suspend the Russian kid, only then can you legitimately claim a bias exists against Canada.

So you feel that Canada should play a man short for one full game, in a game to help decide the grouping and matchups for that serious transgression? You penalize the rest of the players and team for that? You provide an advantage to the German team for that and a disadvantage to the USA at the same time.

I think the Russian guy should get two. Much more of a serious intent to injure. Why not?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
From the IIHF rule book:

RULE 142 – HEAD-BUTTING DEFINITION: A player who uses his head, with or without his helmet on, to strike an opponent. i. A player who either attempts to head-butt or succeeds in head-butting an opponent will be assessed a match penalty.

Pretty easy call, it's really black or white, no room for interpretation there.

That's the problem, why you hardly ever see 5 on 5. Bullshit penalties, it's hockey not soccer.

Is discretion never used.?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Not sure if you guys are aware of this, but a head-butt is a big no-no in hockey. You don't see them in the NHL very often because the players know that they are automatic suspensions. Obviously, there wasn't much to this one, but it gets a suspension merely for the attempt. Yes, the Russian gets a suspension as well, and maybe a two gamer as his was more forceful.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not sure if you guys are aware of this, but a head-butt is a big no-no in hockey. You don't see them in the NHL very often because the players know that they are automatic suspensions. Obviously, there wasn't much to this one, but it gets a suspension merely for the attempt. Yes, the Russian gets a suspension as well, and maybe a two gamer as his was more forceful.
That is pushing the definition of a headbutt to like the farthest limitations you possibly could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad