Veleno suspended 1 game for "headbutt" vs Russia

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
The official statement mentions two headbutts but i can only see one?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
IIHF will suspend you for breathing too loudly. People act appalled, but if Tom Wilson did that HF would be on part XXVII of his ban thread.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
IIHF will suspend you for breathing too loudly. People act appalled, but if Tom Wilson did that HF would be on part XXVII of his ban thread.

You're probably not wrong, but I think it's a little different when you've got a player with such a long history. I'd probably view it as another example of why I don't like him, but that doesn't make it worthy of suspension. At least not in the NHL(key thing here).

Also know that this is the IIHF, and they run things differently. It's a different standard than the NHL, and we should all know that by now. As long as they are consistent, I'm okay with it.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
:huh: How do you figure that? Just because I have watched International play and have seen mickey mouse plays garner suspensions does not mean I agree with them.

Show me a softer play that resulted in suspension then. This was a surprisingly bad call. I too have watched plenty of international hockey.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Show me a softer play that resulted in suspension then. This was a surprisingly bad call. I too have watched plenty of international hockey.
Again you are conflating my acceptance that the IIHF suspends players for seemingly innocuous plays (such as the barely touched him head but on Veleno) because they follow certain rules to the letter with me thinking it was a right and well deserved suspension. I do not. Far more egregious plays happen without disciplinary action. Simply, the suspension did not surprise me because by the letter of the law at IIHF tournaments a head but is an automatic suspension.

Reactions: blindpass

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Again you are conflating my acceptance that the IIHF suspends players for seemingly innocuous plays (such as the barely touched him head but on Veleno) because they follow certain rules to the letter with me thinking it was a right and well deserved suspension. I do not. Far more egregious plays happen without disciplinary action. Simply, the suspension did not surprise me because by the letter of the law at IIHF tournaments a head but is an automatic suspension.

Has the Russian player been suspended for his headbutt on the US player?

Reactions: LazyT

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I

So one last final time. You weren't surprised at all that they considered that a headbutt?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Another suspension this time to Foote coming up in any event. Just as bad as the last one. :ha::thumbd::rolleyes:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't think the Foote hit was that bad. Penalty, but no suspension, in my opinion. I thought it shouldn't have been more than two minutes.

In the NHL, I don't think Tanus gets suspended for that hit. But with IIHF rules, I think he should, if you are being consistent. Beecher might also get a game.

Wahlstrom will get suspended, as well, although he's not eligible anymore.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The NHL needs to get their act together with tougher penalties, not the crap they come out with now.
They could start with eliminating fighting, which IIHF rules mostly have done. Other than that I don't have any big issue with how they do it, though I may disagree with things in a case by case basis.

I get why IIHF has a hard line on headbutting. It's a relatively easy rule to make and enforce. Just like puck over the glass and blood for a double minor. Just like those it leads to injustice because you are punishing a correlate of the offense, not the offense itself. The black and white rule is nice and easy to enforce but by eliminating judgment it creates cases where lesser offenses are over punished than worse ones that don't meet the simple criteria.

A bloody nose is usually no big deal, but easy to spot. 4 mins. If the high stick causes a concussion? Maybe you can't tell. Refs can moderate calls based on many factors, like if a borderline calls was made they might have a higher bar for calling another to give a 5 on 3. But with a puck over the glass they have no discretion and must compound the injustice. The IIHF headbutting rule is the same. We all know what offense the rule is meant to stop. It wasn't what Veleno did. Tanus' elbow was much worse (though again, I'm glad there was no suspension). Human judgment can be frustrating, but I'll take it over slavish following of rules that can't capture the full context.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the IIHF runs into consistency problems with their way of refereeing the game. They try to call everything, but then inevitably miss calls, so it becomes inconsistent if you try to call everything, and the game isn't being refereed by machines. Errors will be made.

I don't even know what their reasoning is for not suspending Tanus. A reverse hit where you elbow a guy in the face is a penalty in any league, and with the IIHF rules, it should probably be a suspension. Maybe this is one of the plays they don't want to call everything on, but I think if you are going to call most ticky-tacky plays as a penalty and then a reverse hit isn't something you want to penalize for, your refereeing decisions look strange.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The same IIHF that makes sure the tourney is in Canada/US border town of Canada 8 out of 10 years?

They are in Canada or North America most years, because the WJC brings in a lot more money when they are in NA. Lots of WJC games are low attendance when one of the big guns isn't playing!

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
John Scott got suspended for fighting, for which literally anyone else in the NHL would've just gotten a 5 minute major.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
John Scott got suspended for fighting, for which literally anyone else in the NHL would've just gotten a 5 minute major.
Which suspension was that? The sucker punch coming off the bench? If so you must be joking.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Which suspension was that? The sucker punch coming off the bench? If so you must be joking.
Huh? He challenged Jackman to a fight and didn't throw any punches before Jackman had his gloves off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad