Veleno suspended 1 game for "headbutt" vs Russia

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Man, you'd think this was the first time watching the World Juniors for people in this thread.

This tournament has always, always been called very tightly. Headbutting is a garbage act and has no place in the game. I know this headbutt wasn't very malicious, but it's the act that deserved suspending and in a tournament that's so tightly controlled for dirty plays, this really isn't a surprise.

It sucks, but Veleno simply cant do that. The Russian forward who did the same thing to Wahlstrom today will no doubt get suspended for a game as well. These kids need to know better.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
So you feel that Canada should play a man short for one full game, in a game to help decide the grouping and matchups for that serious transgression? You penalize the rest of the players and team for that? You provide an advantage to the German team for that and a disadvantage to the USA at the same time.

I think the Russian guy should get two. Much more of a serious intent to injure. Why not?

As long as the IIHF is consistent in their suspensions, it’s fair.
Everybody with a brain knows the IIHF are ridiculously strict and by the book, quite different from not only the North American rules, but also KHL games Ive seen.

Quit whining, know the rules, don’t be stupid, adjust your game accordingly, and deal with it.
Everybody else is.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The IIHF hasn't parodied itself for a few years, but here we are. Quite a joke. I guess we may also see all post-whistle shoving matches called fights and most players in the tournament suspended. After all, even in the short clip of Veleno's "headbutt" we see one player "strike" another in the background.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
So you feel that Canada should play a man short for one full game, in a game to help decide the grouping and matchups for that serious transgression? You penalize the rest of the players and team for that? You provide an advantage to the German team for that and a disadvantage to the USA at the same time.

I think the Russian guy should get two. Much more of a serious intent to injure. Why not?

And Wahlstrom should get 3 for his chicken**# fly-by elbow today

Reactions: Realgud

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sadly this is what many “fans” want NHL hockey to look like. Zero contact of any kind, and hugs after the game.

Reactions: wacko2

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Sadly this is what many “fans” want NHL hockey to look like. Zero contact of any kind, and hugs after the game.
Let it go. We've seen plenty of physical hockey in the WJC the past few years. Head-butting is not physical, nor tough. It's a dumb, dangerous move and according to the rule book, even an attempted one is a match penalty. The players know it. Just don't do it.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I really don’t think there is much evidence at all to support that statement.

IIHF standards are different than the NHL, and there are still plenty of physical plays. On top of that, wanting to remove head shots and high risk concussion plays is not zero contact.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Let it go. We've seen plenty of physical hockey in the WJC the past few years. Head-butting is not physical, nor tough. It's a dumb, dangerous move and according to the rule book, even an attempted one is a match penalty. The players know it. Just don't do it.
I really don’t think there is much evidence at all to support that statement.

IIHF standards are different than the NHL, and there are still plenty of physical plays. On top of that, wanting to remove head shots and high risk concussion plays is not zero contact.

Ah yes, Veleno slightly bumping into the top of the Russian Guys helmet was undoubtedly a high risk injury play. Hope he got checked for concussion symptoms!

Yes you’re right we’ve seen plenty of physical plays... that have almost entirely led to suspensions.

Next they’ll be suspending facewashing, as those have higher impacts than the love tap Veleno gave.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ah yes, Veleno slightly bumping into the top of the Russian Guys helmet was undoubtedly a high risk injury play. Hope he got checked for concussion symptoms!

Yes you’re right we’ve seen plenty of physical plays... that have almost entirely led to suspensions.

Next they’ll be suspending facewashing, as those have higher impacts than the love tap Veleno gave.

Are you arguing for IIHF standards, or what people want to see in the NHL? Because they aren’t the same.

In fact, not a word you just said in any way suggests that it’s what people want to see in the NHL. This very thread is evidence it is not, and acceptance that the IIHF is run this way is not the same as a desire to see it in the NHL.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just a reminder that it's about 3am in Europe right now. I fully expect the Russian player will also be suspended for his headbutt. They both should be. It's a black and white rule. They just don't announce this stuff at 3am. If he doesn't get suspended I'll take back everything.

Neither headbutt was very hard but they were headbutts. Rule doesn't say don't headbutt hard, it says don't headbutt.

Headbutting is a dick move. I hope the next guy that headbutts gets suspended too!

I'd say Wahlstrom screaming whatever he did right in the Russian's face was a massive dick move too.. but that's not against the rules and Wahlstrom plays tomorrow. It's like when Marchand licks people in playoff games and doesn't get suspended.

From the same loss: The Captain of Canada forgot to take his helmet of for an anthem (I honestly can't find another occurence of this happening anywhere else in international hockey ) and the Assistant Captain has been suspended for headbutting.

I don't think the solution is to call Euro's and the IIHF a bunch of p***yes as seems to be happening a lot on here.lol

Reactions: wacko2

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Are you arguing for IIHF standards, or what people want to see in the NHL? Because they aren’t the same.

In fact, not a word you just said in any way suggests that it’s what people want to see in the NHL. This very thread is evidence it is not, and acceptance that the IIHF is run this way is not the same as a desire to see it in the NHL.
Reading the Wilson thread and the “is CTE a danger to hockey” thread has shown a very vocal group that want hitting and “unnecessary” (which somehow includes hitting people hard) plays out of hockey.

It’s getting to the point that anything even close to “unsportsmanlike” has people screaming for suspension.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Reading the Wilson thread and the “is CTE a danger to hockey” thread has shown a very vocal group that want hitting and “unnecessary” (which somehow includes hitting people hard) plays out of hockey.

It’s getting to the point that anything even close to “unsportsmanlike” has people screaming for suspension.

The Wilson thread is really only a thread because it's Wilson, and CTE is certainly a danger to hockey players. Reducing head shots, or trying to minimize those things is valid.

I think you're exaggerating the unsportsmanlike comment.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nothing new.

When Canada was on it's 5-gold run, TC management said, the goal was to have the team with the least amount of penalties in the tourney. That is how you win gold at the WJC...always has been. Discipline and putting the team first.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad