Confirmed with Link: Veleno signs... 1 year $825K

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't hate Veleno, I just never saw what some other people saw. I've never had him above Rasmussen, and I think that was a minority opinion on this board at one point.
Same. I have yet to see any hate for Veleno whatsoever, outside of maybe some immediate reactions to his stomp. It's more just, hey, this new contract is pretty much commensurate with what he is.... which is disappointing given the early hype and the average projection for him amongst Wings fans.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If he performed there would be much less hate

If he didn't try to end someone's career there would be less hate

Has nothing to do with who drafted him. Mediocrity is mediocrity.
He didn't try to end anybody career, it was stupid mistake and yes he is fourth liner ,so what , he is not overpaid or taking someone else spot , he is not player we don't need, he still could help this team.

Reactions: Filppula

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
he is not player we don't need, he still could help this team.
By doing what exactly? He's a center that doesn't score, doesn't win faceoffs, isn't great on special teams, and isn't overly physical.

I fully admit I'm biased. I hated the pick the moment it was made, largely because I figured he would be a guy with first round hype and bottom six talent (and I wanted a bigger swing). But even for those who didn't mind the pick, what has he even FLASHED to suggest he's worth keeping around?

I view him as the forward equivalent of Lindstrom - a warm body until one of the actual prospects are ready.

Reactions: Henkka and DamonDRW

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
By doing what exactly? He's a center that doesn't score, doesn't win faceoffs, isn't great on special teams, and isn't overly physical.

I fully admit I'm biased. I hated the pick the moment it was made, largely because I figured he would be a guy with first round hype and bottom six talent (and I wanted a bigger swing). But even for those who didn't mind the pick, what has he even FLASHED to suggest he's worth keeping around?

I view him as the forward equivalent of Lindstrom - a warm body until one of the actual prospects are ready.

Think even if he only improves a little.... he played like 12 minutes a game last year? If he is even a 15-15 guy and can just be steady 2-ways... thats a valuable player at his age IMO. Cost controlled producing 4th liner. If he fails, he can be waved with zero salary cap implications. Its a lesser risk Zadina contract the way I view it.

Reactions: lilidk

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I dunno. A couple silly seasons of panicdemic hockey and then last year's "oops, we lost 2/3 of our big guns the first couple weeks and sold off most of the rest of the family silver at the deadline" season...

Have we really seen much of a chance for normal hockey for a lot of these young guys lately? I mean, superstuds are going to superstud through most static anyway, but for everyone less than a superstud, these last few seasons all get at least half an asterisk beside them for me.

That said, I agree with those who say that this is Joey Velvet's last season in Detroit no matter what.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Think even if he only improves a little.... he played like 12 minutes a game last year? If he is even a 15-15 guy and can just be steady 2-ways... thats a valuable player at his age IMO. Cost controlled producing 4th liner. If he fails, he can be waved with zero salary cap implications. Its a lesser risk Zadina contract the way I view it.
Totally agree. I just haven't seen anything to suggest he will actually improve, even marginally. No risk...but I don't see a realistic chance of a reward either.

Reactions: Ezekial

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Some weird energy in here…

This is a make or break season for Joe it seems. He’s got the ability to be a bottom six contributor, I think that’s pretty obvious. I really liked him and Berggren together.

Reactions: saska sault

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Totally agree. I just haven't seen anything to suggest he will actually improve, even marginally. No risk...but I don't see a realistic chance of a reward either.
It's kinda like Gustav Lindstrom, I haven't really seen Joe Veleno develop as a player since he joined the NHL. I'm willing to give him this season to prove that he's a full-time NHL player or maybe even more but at some point you have to improve. Lindstrom never did so I was fine moving on from him, if Joe doesn't this year I'm fine moving on from him.
I'll never be mad about any 1 year sub 1 million dollar deal.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad