Confirmed with Link: Veleno signs... 1 year $825K

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Welcome to the no-spin zone ;)

The minors and Euro leagues are littered with “well-rounded players.” Label it all how you’d like. But he’s reaching the end stages of his development curve and is still only a hair above being a quad-A player.
I'm not going to believe he's got massive untapped potential, but the league is full of solid players that are simply well-rounded and keep working at their game and are definitely not done developing at 23.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm not going to believe he's got massive untapped potential, but the league is full of solid players that are simply well-rounded and keep working at their game and are definitely not done developing at 23.
I agree, the NHL is also littered with replacement-level players, a majority of which can be described as "well-rounded." And that's all I'm saying about Veleno.... is he going to rise above replacement level? It's possible, but I have my doubts due to A) what I've seen from him thus far, and B) the fact that, while he isn't done developing, he's getting close, and has shown very little to suggest he's going to take a leap in the next year or two.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There is our 4C for the season unless Kasper kills it in training camp and preseason.
I don't see Kasper getting a roster spot until Fabbri's wheel falls off again. Unfortunate for him, but it's almost like everyone (Wings management and fans) is expecting that to happen. At that point I assume Fisher or Veleno sit in the pressbox. Always the possibility that Sprong winds up in the doghouse because he always does.

I agree, the NHL is also littered with replacement-level players, a majority of which can be described as "well-rounded." And that's all I'm saying about Veleno.... is he going to rise above replacement level? It's possible, but I have my doubts due to A) what I've seen from him thus far, and B) the fact that, while he isn't done developing, he's getting close, and has shown very little to suggest he's going to take a leap in the next year or two.
He shoots well and has some moves when he wants to use them, but I'm not sure he's ever going to put everything together. Hopefully this contract negotiation will make him understand that he needs to do more than just kill ice time. Arbitration for forwards is almost entirely based on point production.

This is what happens when Sam Gagner mentors a rookie, lol. Speaking of which, he might be retiring. Still UFA.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
100% agree Kasper and Soderblom are way better
And neither of those have tried to end anyones careeer by kicking them with skates on. This bum needs to go. Im so mad Yzerman gave this clown another contract, just bury him to minors please.

I have a list why Veleno should get a spot on the roster for next season:

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
If this dudes name was Jon Velenovich from Slovakia he wouldnt even touch NHL or AHL ice ever again, now do the good thing please Stevie and bury him, give him 2 shifts in Grand Rapids for the first 2 months of the season so he takes the hint and just walks away.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
And neither of those have tried to end anyones careeer by kicking them with skates on. This bum needs to go. Im so mad Yzerman gave this clown another contract, just bury him to minors please.

I have a list why Veleno should get a spot on the roster for next season:
Lol. When I said earlier that I suspect something’s missing between his ears, I had actually forgotten about the kicking incident. Thanks for the reminder :joker:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
This is what happens when Sam Gagner mentors a rookie, lol. Speaking of which, he might be retiring. Still UFA.

1692986043155.jpeg

You tell 'em Gags is coming and goals are coming with him.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It might just be the selective games I watched, but I don't think I've ever seen Veleno play a good game. I'm not even really sure what I'm SUPPOSED to be seeing from him though. He's just... there. Existing.

But hey, he was given "exceptional player status" at 16 years old. Whatever tf that means.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Veleno hate is strange... the stomp happened, whatever. Didn't like it but as a Wing and on a minimum deal. He either works our or doesn't, I'm rooting for him because there still seems to be room to grow into a more productive bottom 6 guy.
Hate is probably a strong word. The problem you run into here with Joe is that you've got a young kid, highly drafted and regarded, that has been wholly unremarkable in his NHL career. Absolutely nothing you can point to and say, he does this well. Like, the only thing you can really say for him is that (barring his atrocious faceoffs) he doesn't do anything to hurt the team. Almost forgettable. Then he pulls one of the most egregious infractions possible on the global stage. That's gonna stick with you.

Reactions: DamonDRW and lilidk

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Hate is probably a strong word. The problem you run into here with Joe is that you've got a young kid, highly drafted and regarded, that has been wholly unremarkable in his NHL career. Absolutely nothing you can point to and say, he does this well. Like, the only thing you can really say for him is that (barring his atrocious faceoffs) he doesn't do anything to hurt the team. Almost forgettable. Then he pulls one of the most egregious infractions possible on the global stage. That's gonna stick with you.

Global stage. Sure a "world" tournament, but I can't name 5 people who followed the tournament, nor 5 top line/pairing players on a roster.

I agree with Veleno being a MEH player. Nothing stands out as great or atrocious. That works for a D man not a forward. He will only stick with the Wings and in the NHL if he finds a defensive game as a 4th liner. I have no angst for the guy, he just isn't panning out.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hate is probably a strong word.
Oh there's definitely some hate. Maybe not you in particular, but I feel it.

Not that I care much one way or the other anymore. I think he's useful as long as he's cheap. He certainly hasn't given the fans much to like though. All the same, I'd rather have Joey for $1M less than Zadina.

Hate.0.0.jpg

Reactions: lilidk and 13to40

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The Veleno hate is strange... the stomp happened, whatever. Didn't like it but as a Wing and on a minimum deal. He either works our or doesn't, I'm rooting for him because there still seems to be room to grow into a more productive bottom 6 guy.
I don't hate Veleno, I just never saw what some other people saw. I've never had him above Rasmussen, and I think that was a minority opinion on this board at one point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad