Confirmed with Link: Veleno signs... 1 year $825K

Oct 18, 2006
Big fan, but he needs to use his tools. He’s a big guy, speedy, but too many times he doesn’t utilise this. Sometimes he doesn’t want to finish checks, he’ll take the soft option. I do think there‘s still untapped offensive potential but I doubt he’ll really get the opportunity to flourish in that role. So he’s got to decide that he’ll be the best grinding, agitating forward he can be.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Big fan, but he needs to use his tools. He’s a big guy, speedy, but too many times he doesn’t utilise this. Sometimes he doesn’t want to finish checks, he’ll take the soft option. I do think there‘s still untapped offensive potential but I doubt he’ll really get the opportunity to flourish in that role. So he’s got to decide that he’ll be the best grinding, agitating forward he can be.
Some would say he uses his tools for harm.

Joe is going to have to compete hard and earn a spot on this roster. If he plays like he did again last year he will be sitting a lot. There's possibly more there but he really needs to dig deep and find something to add to this team.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Time to fight for that roster spot. I like Joe and think he still has lots of time to grow but need to see some improvement this year. Too much talent getting closer in the rear view mirror.
You hit a home run with this post.

Couldn’t agree more.

I think this year is a make it or break it for him being a red wing.

I’m confident he can make it and can be a long term player wearing the whinged wheel, he just needs to take the next step forward.

Will be a big training camp/ pre season for him.

I know he’s training hard again this summer as he did last, so hopefully that helps improve some foot speed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Given the number of veterans added, I will be surprised if he's on the team next year. But stranger things have happened, so we'll see how hard he fights for it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Happy to see him with wings again, surprised for how much though, SY is a great manager

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Okay, so this is interesting.

1 year at 825k after months of availability to sign at any point. Do we think there was another signing possibility before this with someone else? Could we have been waiting on Suter this entire time? This is obviously a prove it year because he should feel the heat with two centers in the system that could take his job (yes, i get it, we don't want them playing 4th C roles but buckle up it could happen).

Either way, I hope Kasper dares them to keep him in the ahl after preseason and the only thing I could see happen if they don't want him on 4th C is him being on 3rd C with copp on his wing and I'm not sure who gets knocked out/traded to make that spot open.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not bad I'm most happy about it being a 1 year deal. We should start being active in free agency in a serious way next summer so let's start fine tuning the cap space. Veleno is a good depth guy, I don't expect anything more but he's still young enough where he may surprise us. Let's see what he can do this year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Not bad I'm most happy about it being a 1 year deal. We should start being active in free agency in a serious way next summer so let's start fine tuning the cap space. Veleno is a good depth guy, I don't expect anything more but he's still young enough where he may surprise us. Let's see what he can do this year.
I wish it was 5 years same price

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't really see a spot for him here at this point unless he becomes the long-term 4C

he needs to channel his inner Darren Helm if he wants to stick around

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Didn't even get a raise on this deal, got more when in the NHL on his ELC.

This is also less than what his qualifying offer needed to be to become an RFA this summer ($874,125).

I'm guessing maybe Yzerman was trying to get him to take a lighter version of the Rasmussen and Zadina "commit to improvement or beg to terminate in a year when GR is your only option because of your salary/term" deal but Veleno opted for a more flexible "bet on yourself" type deal.

With this, if Veleno shows some kind of measurable improvement, he's arbitration eligible next summer and likely gets a raise more than whatever money might or might not have been on the table for 24/25.

But if he doesn't improve and maybe ends up on waivers, at that price with no term beyond the season, a 23YO center with Veleno's pedigree is pretty much guaranteed to be claimed. Or, he's much easier to move in a trade or simply allowed to hit the UFA market as an unqualified RFA next summer (which I would hope is avoided).

Same. He is RFA still right?

Yes, as long as the Wings make him a Qualifying Offer next June, which if I'm doing my math correctly would need to be $866,250

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Veleno left me a little cold this last season, but I want to like him.
So who's left? Erne? Or is he gone already?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is also less than what his qualifying offer needed to be to become an RFA this summer ($874,125).

I'm guessing maybe Yzerman was trying to get him to take a lighter version of the Rasmussen and Zadina "commit to improvement or beg to terminate in a year when GR is your only option because of your salary/term" deal but Veleno opted for a more flexible "bet on yourself" type deal.

With this, if Veleno shows some kind of measurable improvement, he's arbitration eligible next summer and likely gets a raise more than whatever money might or might not have been on the table for 24/25.

But if he doesn't improve and maybe ends up on waivers, at that price with no term beyond the season, a 23YO center with Veleno's pedigree is pretty much guaranteed to be claimed. Or, he's much easier to move in a trade or simply allowed to hit the UFA market as an unqualified RFA next summer (which I would hope is avoided).

Yes, as long as the Wings make him a Qualifying Offer next June, which if I'm doing my math correctly would need to be $866,250
You noticed the same thing I noticed, he signed for less than QO and is arbitration eligible next year....

I don't understand why he didn't take the QO. I think he'd get claimed on waivers as long hi contract is buriable. Freakin Stevie played some serious Jedi mind trick on the kid and his agent, lol. Granted it's only for $50k, but still has me laughing.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad