Vegas Expansion Thread (Nate Schmidt selected)

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
what are the odds that the capitals made schmidt better then he was and now that he is gone he will be bad?

seems like that happens a lot, with semin he put up great numbers with caps and then fell off the earth

steckel put up a good 4th line stats with caps then couldnt stay in league
eric fehr couldnt do anything once he left the caps
chimera got his only 2 40 point seasons with caps
brouwers best seasons came with caps
ward although had a good year last year didnt do anything til he joined caps

seems like there are numerous instances where a player is really good on caps and then cant do anything on other teams (off course there are a few that do well off caps too)

I've been so wrapped up in my frustration that I had seriously never considered this and it's blowing my mind right now.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015

Looks like Vegas is keeping Schmidt and other young players.

That's a bit of a relief to be honest. I much rather he stay in Vegas in the western conference than traded to the Pens to bolster their lineup more

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Why did George take salary dumps / less than the best available from some teams?

Did the math not work? Sure he wants picks in the end and to draft his own team, but I think he can still flip a better player for the same return of a lessor player, at worst.

I am thinking if he drafted too many good players, he'd be pressured to compete and risked the team doing too well. Which adds pressure to not sell at the deadline. But, he could also sell those same players this summer, and never let them play a game.

It just seems an odd expansion draft, but there is little to compare it to. I don't like giving him a player from every team when he wants to build through the draft. Give him 1 prospect, instead of a roster player. Maybe he got future considerations on some of the picks he made.

It seems like he is ripe to be looted at this point. Drafting 13 D seems over the top. I hope teams low ball every offer made to George, knowing he HAS to move D out. Or make no calls at all, and wait for him to call.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
RH, he struck deals with teams before the roster freeze. Some of those "best available" players weren't really available. Dumba was only exposed because they had a deal in place with Vegas before the roster freeze. If they didn't have that deal in place, they would have traded Dumba/Brodin to a team that could protect them in order to avoid losing them for nothing. Same thing with Anaheim.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Haven't had time to dig through the trade board threads...is there a summary of what GMGM has accumulated so far (players and picks)?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Nice. Thanks.

So it looks like, thus far, they've only had a few dance partners for high picks and even though they've got assets they could move it's unlikely imo that they grab any more 1st or 2nd rounders unless there's some complex deal in the works, which I doubt.

McPhee is missing that flashy, marketing piece. I guess that's why so much focus is on MAF so far. Maybe one more big deal is on tap.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They will have to move a few more defensemen before the start of the season, but I doubt any of the returns will be particularly flashy. Maybe they get a 1st for Methot.

They will also pick up a few 2018 picks as they approach the deadline. Most of the "bad contracts" they picked up expire soon, making them movable rental assets. The exception being Clarkson, of course.

Depending on how much salary they clear with the defense trades, they could make a play for a significant forward or two in free agency.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
How does the RFA thing work with the expansion draft? Schmidt is an RFA this year. Does that mean the Caps could make him an offer to come back and then the GN could either match it or let him walk back to the Caps with the appropriate compensation?

Or, since the Caps lost him, are they not allowed to make him an offer?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
After sleeping on it....I'm still not that broken up about it honestly. Schmidt is boasting a severe case of overratedness around here.

This times a million.

And if I have to read one more time about losing a "young" player..... Schmidt is 26 in three weeks, he is not young by NHL standards.

I will miss him, but holy over-reaction batman.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
McPhee made his damn choice based upon what would hurt the Capitals the most.

The idiot should have taken Grubbauer.

If this is actually the case then McPhee is a worse GM than I originally thought. You can't hold grudges as GM or operate out of spite, you have to have a short memory. There are only 30 other GMs in the league, you start pissing off people for the sake of pissing them off and your list of partners will be very short.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Orpik, Grubauer and next years 1st for Schmidt.

You get your top 4 d-man back and free up money to sign Williams and/or other FAs.

That's too much from a Caps standpoint. No higher than a 3rd round pick in 2020 would be what I do. What did the Pens give up for selecting Fleury, a 5th round pick. Perhaps Orpik, Grubauer and Connolly for Schmidt. With that and reacquiring Schmidt that's about 5 mil in cap space you gained.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That's too much from a Caps standpoint. No higher than a 3rd round pick in 2020 would be what I do. What did the Pens give up for selecting Fleury, a 5th round pick. Perhaps Orpik, Grubauer and Connolly for Schmidt. With that and reacquiring Schmidt that's about 5 mil in cap space you gained.

Grubauer for Schmidt is pretty close to fair, but to get them to take on Orpik is will cost a lot more than a Connolly or a 3rd.

Besides giving them Grubauer just leaves them with a goalie they don't need or want.

perhaps Orpik + 1st + Connolly for Schmidt.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Grubauer for Schmidt is pretty close to fair, but to get them to take on Orpik is will cost a lot more than a Connolly or a 3rd.

Besides giving them Grubauer just leaves them with a goalie they don't need or want.

perhaps Orpik + 1st + Connolly for Schmidt.

2018 suppose to be a strong draft and after this past weekend, I don't want to see the Caps trading anymore picks for a while.

Just remove all the machinations and just do a one for one deal with Vegas and send them Johansson straight up for Schmidt. Depending on what Schmidt resigns for, this may end up with about 1.5 to 2 mil cap relief which will contribute to the "Resign Justin Williams fund".

Burakovsky - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Kuznetsov - Williams
Ovechkin - Eller - Wilson
Hershey player - Beagle - Connolly
Niskanen - Orlov
Schmidt - Carlson
Orpik - Bowey
Chorney

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Schmidt? I'd like to see that. Perhaps we should wait some more and offer 2019's #2nd.

Then flip Orpik for Gorges anyway :) someone has to think post this year too.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I wouldn't mind a Schmidt for Johansson, but there would need to be a + added to Schmidt, they are not equal. Orpik needs to go no matter what next year so we should trade him now for someone like Gorges. Or maybe Johansson + Orpik for Schmidt + Emelin.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A second rounder in 2020 and a goalie prospect is all it took? McPhee is not very good at his job but what's new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad