Vegas Expansion Thread (Nate Schmidt selected)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-...nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722?tid=289242400

All teams listed. Caps:

Washington Capitals

Protected players
Nicklas Backstrom (F)
Andre Burakovsky (F)
Lars Eller (F)
Marcus Johansson (F)
Evgeny Kuznetsov (F)
Alex Ovechkin (F)
Tom Wilson (F)
John Carlson (D)
Matt Niskanen (D)
Dmitry Orlov (D)
Braden Holtby (G)

Available players
Jay Beagle (F)
Chris Bourque (F)
Paul Carey (F)
Brett Connolly (F)
Stanislav Galiev (F)
Tyler Graovac (F)
Garrett Mitchell (F)
Liam O'Brien (F)
T.J. Oshie (F)
Zach Sill (F)
Chandler Stephenson (F)
Christian Thomas (F)
Nathan Walker (F)
Justin Williams (F)
Daniel Winnik (F)
Karl Alzner (D)
Taylor Chorney (D)
Cody Corbett (D)
Darren Dietz (D)
Christian Djoos (D)
Tom Gilbert (D)
Aaron Ness (D)
Brooks Orpik (D)
Nate Schmidt (D)
Kevin Shattenkirk (D)
Pheonix Copley (G)
Philipp Grubauer (G)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Russostrib: Periodically throughout awards show, players will be announced in reverse order of standings of team they're taken from - Avs to Caps

I have to wonder how much will leak out ahead of time but that's quite the wait potentially.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
@Russostrib: Periodically throughout awards show, players will be announced in reverse order of standings of team they're taken from - Avs to Caps

I have to wonder how much will leak out ahead of time but that's quite the wait potentially.

The entire list will leak somehow. They'd be out of their minds if they didn't inform the players who were drafted before it's announced on TV. Can you imagine having to sit through the NHL awards show to find out if you're moving/traded? Cruel. So people are going to know.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The entire list will leak somehow. They'd be out of their minds if they didn't inform the players who were drafted before it's announced on TV. Can you imagine having to sit through the NHL awards show to find out if you're moving/traded? Cruel. So people are going to know.
No doubt the players will know first but some of the more noteworthy, recognizable players are also supposed to be in attendance. I'm not sure the whole list will leak necessarily but the usual insiders will certainly try their best. I'm a bit surprised there isn't a TSN or Sportnet special Tuesday or leading up on Wednesday with the latest info.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No doubt the players will know first but some of the more noteworthy, recognizable players are also supposed to be in attendance. I'm not sure the whole list will leak necessarily but the usual insiders will certainly try their best. I'm a bit surprised there isn't a TSN or Sportnet special Tuesday or leading up on Wednesday with the latest info.

Probably begged by the NHL to avoid that so they can hype the awards show.

Also Dreger is tweeting a source has told him the Isles are trading a 1st to LV to protect their forwards. This seems ridiculous if true.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Looking at the lists of available players and hearing that Vegas has potentially 2-3 first round picks locked up, I can say that the people of Las Vegas can comfortably look forward to 10-15 years of first and second round playoff exits.

Maybe to break the curse we just needed GMGM to create another cursed team that will be stocked with talent but he will annually do nothing to push them over the edge.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Did the Red Wings just bone the Pens hard by leaving Mrazek available?

Mrazek makes $4 million, MAF makes $5.75, you're not taking both. Realistically you select one of those two, then you take a young backup (Grubi) and then a guy you can park in the AHL for a year or so.

If I'm VGK I'm taking Mrazek, he's younger and his contract is better. I think it's a coin toss really because obviously MAF has the pedigree, but you can easily win with Mrazek and realistically VGK is not contending in the next two years.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Did the Red Wings just bone the Pens hard by leaving Mrazek available?

Mrazek makes $4 million, MAF makes $5.75, you're not taking both. Realistically you select one of those two, then you take a young backup (Grubi) and then a guy you can park in the AHL for a year or so.

If I'm VGK I'm taking Mrazek, he's younger and his contract is better. I think it's a coin toss really because obviously MAF has the pedigree, but you can easily win with Mrazek and realistically VGK is not contending in the next two years.

mrazek is an rfa, as he already was at 4 mil, expect him to be right up at fleury money soon

edit: meants in a year he a rfa so he getting the money anyways

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
mrazek is an rfa, as he already was at 4 mil, expect him to be right up at fleury money soon

Alright, so comparable money, but one guy is 7 years younger. I still take Mrazek. Also he has one year until he's an RFA, which means flexibility. You get a taste in what you might be investing in.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Wait a minute...

Is there something stopping Vegas from taking RFAs? Why do we protect Kuzy and Orlov but guys like Mrazek and Parayko are available?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Wait a minute...

Is there something stopping Vegas from taking RFAs? Why do we protect Kuzy and Orlov but guys like Mrazek and Parayko are available?

vegas has 72 hours to negotiate with anyone ufa/rfa when no one else can

also mrazek is rfa next year, i made a mistake on that one

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Wait a minute...

No, RFA's are available and you need to protect the ones you want. Kicker was just saying that Mrazek's is an RFA at the end of next season so the 1.75 million you gain on not taking Fleury is short lived.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

I'll pray for the minimum amount of goalies taken before Caps. Because if you have 4-5 goalies already taken before the Caps, it will mean that Schmidt is a GK.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Interesting, Vegas is gonna call a team and tell them who they're picking beforehand to see what they wanna do to change their minds. Didn't think GMGM would do that.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I'll pray for the minimum amount of goalies taken before Caps. Because if you have 4-5 goalies already taken before the Caps, it will mean that Schmidt is a GK.
Thats just the order they are announcing the picks. The players will be selected in advance Im sure. Nothing with the order has anything to do with who they take.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting, Vegas is gonna call a team and tell them who they're picking beforehand to see what they wanna do to change their minds. Didn't think GMGM would do that.

Dude come on. He's looking to sell almost everything. Couldn't be more clear. Simultaneously they'll be negotiating with other teams to see who comes in highest.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He is looking to sell anything.... that is redundant to him. For example he should be looking to upgrade 2 #4D for a #3D.

He won't be selling the near future cornerstones of his team unless someone offers someone he wants more. Sure including 1st rounders. He is looking to pilfer, get a GM on his knees and loot the till further.

He should lie about who he is planning to take, to keep things McPheeish. Remember, secrecy trumps all else when being a GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad