LeBrun: Vatanen only moves if teams step up their offers

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hall, aside from being young and having further potential, was signed long-term. That's a key thing about JVR currently that puts a limit on what you can expect to get in a trade.

and JvR can and will be signed at probably less then what Hall is making now, he is in his prime and hasn't had the injury issues that Hall has had because of reckless play, and is Taylor Hall the 80 point guy we saw in his 4th year or the 53 point guy we saw last year

Van Riemsdyk has been fairly consistent in his PPG the last 4 season's, playing on some not so good teams in Toronto, so you kind of know exactly what you're getting

I mean I'd love to see Hall on Matthews wing so don't get me wrong about him, but he frustratingly inconsistent and why he was traded out of edmonton

in regard to JvR he seems to leave you thinking that somehow there's more there, he's not a true 1st line winger, but he's a real good 2nd

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
and JvR can and will be signed at probably less then what Hall is making now, he is in his prime and hasn't had the injury issues that Hall has had because of reckless play, and is Taylor Hall the 80 point guy we saw in his 4th year or the 53 point guy we saw last year

Van Riemsdyk has been fairly consistent in his PPG the last 4 season's, playing on some not so good teams in Toronto, so you kind of know exactly what you're getting

I mean I'd love to see Hall on Matthews wing so don't get me wrong about him, but he frustratingly inconsistent and why he was traded out of edmonton

in regard to JvR he seems to leave you thinking that somehow there's more there, he's not a true 1st line winger, but he's a real good 2nd

This might be the worst spinzone I've ever seen. I like how the theme is how JVR is consistent and Hall isn't, which I suppose is true, but leaves out how JVR consistently produces around Hall's floor. Not to mention JVR is older, will probably be paid around the same, and comes with a lot more contract uncertainty.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

There's not too much I disagree with. But I don't think you can just jump forward to a point where is signed, let alone for less than Hall's $6M. When/if he is signed to such a deal, that obviously makes a lot of difference.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Eaves is not a 1st line winger.

Didn't say he was a 1st line winger. There are very few real 1st line wingers in this league. Said he was playing like one in the weeks after the trade.

Getzlaf is a 1st line center. Eaves has chemistry with Getzlaf. By default Eaves becomes a 1st line winger.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Sure. He had a career year. Have you really not looked at his age, scoring history, and health history to see he is NOT a 1st line W?

I definitely have concerns with his injury history. But for the next 2-3 seasons he could be a 1st line winger because of the chemistry with Getzlaf.

Point is, he fills that role. Would whatever the Ducks get for Vatanen be better? Maybe...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Alright ill put in my 2 cents.

I think with the cap space we freed up in the ED, JvR could be a legit option in a vatanen move, if he fits in well with the team then I think extending him would be an easy decision.

I imagine JVR would do very well on getzlafs wing... and jvr is a guy who since joining Toronto has put up roughly 60 points a season... and hes played on some really bad Toronto teams. Now that we lose bieska next year and already got rid of stoner and despres contracts... I wont be shocked if jvr ends up in Anaheim from vatanen. We save .5 million on contract, and yes he is expecting a raise and new contract but hes still somewhat young(28).

Question to Toronto fans, what kind of contract if he stayed in Toronto would you feel is fair for him?

Obviously I'm still on the kapanen train but I just wont be shocked if jvr and vatanen swap... seems like an obvious fit with the exception of vatanen being signed for a few more years and jvr being a rental unless we feel we can resign him.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Vatanen is not a fit for the Leafs, I really hope we're not pursuing him.

He drags everyone he sees heavy time with down at even strength, his value is as a PP/PK option with sheltered 5on5 minutes.

I'm sure there's teams that will value the PP/PK ability he brings but I don't see the point in Toronto.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There's not too much I disagree with. But I don't think you can just jump forward to a point where is signed, let alone for less than Hall's $6M. When/if he is signed to such a deal, that obviously makes a lot of difference.

I think theres a chance some GMs will see how badly a lot of these $6 million contracts for wingers have turned out and the market will change, but I also don't see any way he's signing for less than $5 million. So he might cost a bit less and is a worse player, thats not a point in his favor.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This might be the worst spinzone I've ever seen. I like how the theme is how JVR is consistent and Hall isn't, which I suppose is true, but leaves out how JVR consistently produces around Hall's floor. Not to mention JVR is older, will probably be paid around the same, and comes with a lot more contract uncertainty.

I doubt it, you've seen worse spin then that, like the stuff you just wrote:laugh:

who knows? seeing as he's never produced an 65 point season let alone a 80 point season like Hall, I know there are a lot of goofy GM's when it comes to UFA's, but if he likes where he is, then you have a whole year to get him signed, and I'm sure a 5X5.5 which is a substantial raise for him could get it done, you can be sure Hall's next contract in three years isn't going to be a step back

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Didn't say he was a 1st line winger. There are very few real 1st line wingers in this league. Said he was playing like one in the weeks after the trade.

Getzlaf is a 1st line center. Eaves has chemistry with Getzlaf. By default Eaves becomes a 1st line winger.

I hope you are right.

Eaves was playing like a 1st line winger after the trade.

Are the Ducks getting a young 1st line winger for Vatanen?

You can't have it both ways. But regardless of what we call him, it's foolhardy to expect him to repeat last year. That's the gist of my point. We're finally rid of our bad contracts. We don't need to dive back down that mine shaft again.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
You can't have it both ways. But regardless of what we call him, it's foolhardy to expect him to repeat last year. That's the gist of my point. We're finally rid of our bad contracts. We don't need to dive back down that mine shaft again.

Well besides Perry and 1 more year of KB.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I doubt it, you've seen worse spin then that, like the stuff you just wrote:laugh:

How was that spin? It's the truth, the "inconsistent" Hall will, at his worst, produce at a similar rate to JVRs best. The rest is also true, he is older and signed for a lot longer and most likely won't be a lot cheaper. I guess it's telling that you're not even trying to defend your desperate and sad comparison.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I hope they sign Marleau & Thornton on 1 year deals, those guys might finally get a Cup if they played on the Ducks.

Ritchie/Getzlaf/Rakell
Cogliano/Kesler/Silfverberg
Marleau/Thornton/Perry
Kase/Vermette/Wagner(or Shaw).

While Vatanen is still recovering:
Fowler/Manson
Lindholm/Montour
Larsson/Bieska

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
For all the people who want to quote the Hall trade, I'd like to bring up the much more recent and relevant Hammer trade.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I hope they sign Marleau & Thornton on 1 year deals, those guys might finally get a Cup if they played on the Ducks.

Ritchie/Getzlaf/Rakell
Cogliano/Kesler/Silfverberg
Marleau/Thornton/Perry
Kase/Vermette/Wagner(or Shaw).

While Vatanen is still recovering:
Fowler/Manson
Lindholm/Montour
Larsson/Bieska

That team is slow as mud. I'd much rather mortgage a few assets for Duchene or JVR

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
How was that spin? It's the truth, the "inconsistent" Hall will, at his worst, produce at a similar rate to JVRs best. The rest is also true, he is older and signed for a lot longer and most likely won't be a lot cheaper. I guess it's telling that you're not even trying to defend your desperate and sad comparison.

desperate and sad, nice! talking about the spin game again are we?

JvR is signed for 1 more year Taylor Hall is younger by three years and signed for the two years following, just clearing that up for you :)

so know that I know JvR will sign for more then Taylor Hall is currently making, where should I put my early line money for the 2018 SC final

now back to business

and JvR can and will be signed at probably less then what Hall is making now,

is that spin? possibly

he is in his prime and hasn't had the injury issues that Hall has had because of reckless play, and is Taylor Hall the 80 point guy we saw in his 4th year or the 53 point guy we saw last year

a fact followed by a query....is that spin?

is this the spin you're talking about?

a qualifying statement followed by a fact, nope that's not spin either!

a personal observation and if you look at the average top 6 winger in the league he is definitely among the real good 2nd line guys

I'm so dizzy my head is spinning
like a whirlpool it never ends

actual lines from a #1 Billboard single March 15th to April 11th back in '69

have a nice day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad