Proposal: Vatanen for Drouin

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I feel like I'm in a completely different world than some of you because I see a lot of Dumba as a Stars fan and he's never stood out as anything particularly special. Certainly not a player I'd trade an elite talent like Drouin 1-for-1 for.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm with dechire. Not seeing it.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that lol. Well the Dallas-Minnesota game starts in an hour so by the time tonight's TBL game starts I'll be able to say with some confidence whether or not I have just missed Dumba's elite potential before now or if he's the average player I've always thought he is.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I've seen flashes of potential from Dumba, but nothing that elite. Vatanen has waaaay more production and is more interesting imo.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
In a cap world give me Dumba, unless we send Carle too. Shattenkirk makes too much now and will want a lot more in a year and a half, Vatanen will want a lot this offseason. To resign certain players and keep space for others I'd take the cheaper option.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This trade is going to all but kill my interest in this season. I just can't believe we're at this point. Especially when you consider how badly we need offense right now.

Well in the other thread I spent a solid couple of minutes trying to think of a good LW for X-Flip-Cally and realized that without Drouin we only have a single natural LW on our roster in Palat lmao

Any interest in Boedker?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
vatanan is not enough not even close to what stevie will demand and anyway he aint trading drouin

watch the second half its gonna all work out and the tempermental outburst by a teenager will become forgiven and forgotten

yep:popcorn:
I'd say we keep drouin and stamkos is long gone to Toronto

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
SFY on Hockey Central tonight only mentioned trading Drouin not keeping him.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's just drumming up interest and offers to see how crazy they get. No reason to say he's keeping him right now.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
vatanan is not enough not even close to what stevie will demand and anyway he aint trading drouin

watch the second half its gonna all work out and the tempermental outburst by a teenager will become forgiven and forgotten

a .5 PG 24 year old RHD during regular season and play offs isnt enough?

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Let me preface this by saying Vatanen is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. He has arguably been the Ducks second best player all season (behind Fowler). I'd be sick to my stomach if the Ducks traded him, but I think it's something Murray would consider. And he seems to fit the bill of exactly what your team is looking for.

The reason Murray may consider it is because the Ducks are loaded on D:

Fowler (24)
Vatanen(24)
Lindholm (21)
Despres (24)
Manson (24)
Theodore (20)
Montour (21)

Questions:

1. Would you trade Drouin for Vatanen?

2. Would you add a player with Drouin to acquire Vatanen? If so, who would you be willing to part with?

1. Yes.
2. Not anybody you'd want. Vatanen is RFA after this season and going to command a very sizable raise, so there's a financial plus for the Ducks in acquiring Drouin, who has another year left on his ELC and who, at this point, seems unlikely see a big-money second contract.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
1. Yes.
2. Not anybody you'd want. Vatanen is RFA after this season and going to command a very sizable raise, so there's a financial plus for the Ducks in acquiring Drouin, who has another year left on his ELC and who, at this point, seems unlikely see a big-money second contract.
Im sure it would be a pick/ (3rd?)

How much would be too much for vatanen to make on TB? 4.5+?

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Im sure it would be a pick/ (3rd?)

How much would be too much for vatanen to make on TB? 4.5+?

That's fine with me

It's hard to say since Stamkos is a huge question mark. If he leaves then signing Vatanen isnt an issue. If he re-signs we'll probably be moving a contract anyway so it depends who it is. Carle is getting bought out so that's another 3m. Filppula might be moved which would clear a ton of salary.

Also if we give Vatanen 5m for a longish term and let Coburn walk it's only adding 500k. That's nothing and we'd get a great young player.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Just thought I'd comment on Dumba since I did try to pay specific attention to him last night. He was a +2 while being completely uninvolved in both goals. I actually have no idea where he was on the ice for the second goal but it wasn't anywhere near the net. Might have just stepped on the ice. He was okay defensively but nothing special. I also thought he seemed kind of lazy. Took his time skating to the bench when coming off. Only played 13 minutes so he's on the bottom pair. Overall I'm sticking with my original thought that he's not someone I want for Drouin.\

If we're going to add a Wild defenseman than I'd rather reunite TyJo and Spurgeon

paine

Jun 4, 2007

You're severely underrating Vatanen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would be shocked if Ducks do a straight Vatanen for Drouin trade without a significant plus. GM's value top 4 Dmen in the league.

Dumba is younger, and a far less finished product than Vatanen. He Naturally leans towards offense rather than defense. His is a fast skater, decent passer , and likes to jump into the rush. Right now, his best asset is his shot. He has a cannon from the point, and is not shy about using it.

The Wild would move him only because they have a similar player in Mike Reilly waiting in the AHL, plus a couple of other Dmen capable of providing offense from the back end in Scandella, Spurgeon, and Suter. Wild are also lacking in offensively talented forward prospects.

If Drouin were RH I'd be more revved up about a trade. Wild have lots of LW talent.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Would do this trade in heartbeat, exactly what Tampa needs and overally would prolly make Tampa better team than Tampa with Drouin. But still im on the same board with other posters that it would kill me inside to part with such talent.. Just please make it work with Drouin and give him fair change to prove his worth. On the side note also Kerby Rychel wants to get traded, what's up with these youngsters? Was it common back in the day or the requests just didnt get leaked?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I feel like I'm in a completely different world than some of you because I see a lot of Dumba as a Stars fan and he's never stood out as anything particularly special. Certainly not a player I'd trade an elite talent like Drouin 1-for-1 for.

I'll back you on this. I like Dumba, but there is nothing crazy there that I see and think "alright, this is worth Drouin".

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
still hearing st louis am hoping something around shatty we will see who knows hearing soon stilll thought would already be done honestly

i get people on dumba and vatanen but imho stevie had chance at sami v and passed when could get him relatively cheap so dont see now cause of an enraged teenager over acting of making that deal just my two cents yes drouin seems gone now:( but think we will get fair value pretty good deal that works for us still believing that is st louis as front runner hoping is shatty not some fabri barb thing

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
still hearing st louis am hoping something around shatty we will see who knows hearing soon stilll thought would already be done honestly

i get people on dumba and vatanen but imho stevie had chance at sami v and passed when could get him relatively cheap so dont see now cause of an enraged teenager over acting of making that deal just my two cents yes drouin seems gone now:( but think we will get fair value pretty good deal that works for us still believing that is st louis as front runner hoping is shatty not some fabri barb thing

When could we have gotten Vatanen besides drafting him?

Shattenkirk won't work capwise unless we move Carle, can't see him being sought after. Maybe we get a pick from the Blues and use that to get someone to take his contract.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
When could we have gotten Vatanen besides drafting him?

Shattenkirk won't work capwise unless we move Carle, can't see him being sought after. Maybe we get a pick from the Blues and use that to get someone to take his contract.

ive told you i have sources you can think what like they never have given me one reason to doubt vatanen was sent down he was on market was like a early second plus b prospect he could be had for. stevie had info did nothing

that is info i received is what it is why have said this vatanen talk unsure where is coming from had to be reason why stevie didnt really make a deal if was available for that little amount imho was more then one time vatanen seemed available since that time i have heard during this drouin stuff only st louis some other minor things but was shooting something with blues not sure who but have given what i believe my guesses and that is what they are

so not saying my stuff is what iss the word hmm correct its just stuff i get from some industry people and maybe am right or wrong but they have never given me reason to say hey this was untrue or wrong

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad