Proposal: Vatanen for Drouin

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Let me preface this by saying Vatanen is one of the most underrated defenseman in the league. He has arguably been the Ducks second best player all season (behind Fowler). I'd be sick to my stomach if the Ducks traded him, but I think it's something Murray would consider. And he seems to fit the bill of exactly what your team is looking for.

The reason Murray may consider it is because the Ducks are loaded on D:

Fowler (24)
Vatanen(24)
Lindholm (21)
Despres (24)
Manson (24)
Theodore (20)
Montour (21)

Questions:

1. Would you trade Drouin for Vatanen?

2. Would you add a player with Drouin to acquire Vatanen? If so, who would you be willing to part with?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like Vatanen. I think he solves some issues for us. But it terrifies me to part with Drouin.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I would do it but like DFC I'd be upset to lose Drouin. If we're going to move him though, Vatanen is exactly the type of player I'd like to get in return. I assume you'd want Drouin up on the LW spot with Perry and Getzlaf. I think he'd be fantastic for you guys there.

I'm not great at valuations but I'd be willing to add to Drouin. Not sure what Anaheim is looking for though. But if Vatanen is available I'd assume Yzerman is very interested.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
I would do it but like DFC I'd be upset to lose Drouin. If we're going to move him though, Vatanen is exactly the type of player I'd like to get in return. I assume you'd want Drouin up on the LW spot with Perry and Getzlaf. I think he'd be fantastic for you guys there.

I'm not great at valuations but I'd be willing to add to Drouin. Not sure what Anaheim is looking for though. But if Vatanen is available I'd assume Yzerman is very interested.

I'd like to create a second line around Rakell and Drouin or keep Rakell on the top line and slot Drouin next to Kesler.

The Ducks biggest issue is scoring.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd like to create a second line around Rakell and Drouin or keep Rakell on the top line and slot Drouin next to Kesler.

Put Drouin anywhere in the vicinity of Perry and it'll likely turn into goals.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary

Good thing that's not an issue for Tampa this year.

...oh right...

I'll echo the others in this thread. Having Vatanen would be very nice but the prospect of losing Drouin and that haunting us (especially if Stamkos is also gone) is not such a nice thought.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How's his cycle game?

Looked decent with Morrow and Boyle, if that can even be used as evidence for anything.

He's a player who creates time and space for teammates. It'll take awhile for players to get used to him though. Gotta keep your stick on the ice, because the puck could hit it at any time.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Looked decent with Morrow and Boyle, if that can even be used as evidence for anything.

He's a player who creates time and space for teammates. It'll take awhile for players to get used to him though. Gotta keep your stick on the ice, because the puck could hit it at any time.

Pretty much this. A lot of the time, his linemates are caught off guard by Drouin threading the needle to them, and they have no idea what to do.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
How's his cycle game?

I was just watching videos for Drouin's points last year because I like suffering I guess lol but he's good at cycling. He also got quite a few points by winning board battles and getting the puck to an open forward which is a pretty valuable skill imo. Sometimes he'll do the crazy stick handling thing which is fun to watch but he's best when he can make simple smart plays. He needs players that can finish though. They don't need to be 20 goal scorers but they can't be 4th liners with stone hands(lol JT Brown) either or you'll be forever frustrated by missed opportunities. That wouldn't be a problem on like 29 other teams in the league but alas.

The issue with Drouin is that like literally every skilled forward ever he takes offensive risks that sometimes turn the puck over. Since he's only 20 he hasn't mastered NHL offense yet and he's still learning what does and doesn't work at this level. With Cooper this means that he gets benched or demoted if he turns the puck over in the offensive zone. Drouin actually isn't bad on defense. He hustles on the backcheck and he works as hard in DZ board battles as OZ ones. He's good at getting his stick in passing lanes. Few of his turnovers are in the DZ. But that's not good enough for our coach I guess.

Have I mentioned that I really don't want to lose Drouin :cry:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was just watching videos for Drouin's points last year because I like suffering I guess lol but he's good at cycling. He also got quite a few points by winning board battles and getting the puck to an open forward which is a pretty valuable skill imo. Sometimes he'll do the crazy stick handling thing which is fun to watch but he's best when he can make simple smart plays. He needs players that can finish though. They don't need to be 20 goal scorers but they can't be 4th liners with stone hands(lol JT Brown) either or you'll be forever frustrated by missed opportunities. That wouldn't be a problem on like 29 other teams in the league but alas.

The issue with Drouin is that like literally every skilled forward ever he takes offensive risks that sometimes turn the puck over. Since he's only 20 he hasn't mastered NHL offense yet and he's still learning what does and doesn't work at this level. With Cooper this means that he gets benched or demoted if he turns the puck over in the offensive zone. Drouin actually isn't bad on defense. He hustles on the backcheck and he works as hard in DZ board battles as OZ ones. He's good at getting his stick in passing lanes. Few of his turnovers are in the DZ. But that's not good enough for our coach I guess.

This trade is going to all but kill my interest in this season. I just can't believe we're at this point. Especially when you consider how badly we need offense right now.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
This trade is going to all but kill my interest in this season. I just can't believe we're at this point. Especially when you consider how badly we need offense right now.

Well in the other thread I spent a solid couple of minutes trying to think of a good LW for X-Flip-Cally and realized that without Drouin we only have a single natural LW on our roster in Palat lmao

Yzlamic Preacher*

I'm in the same boat, I feel sick thinking of trading Ugly away, but this is the type of player I'd want.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Our offense is completely predictable. Drouin is exactly the type of player we need. Game was boring without him in the lineup...its actually exciting when he jumps over the boards 'cause you know you are going to see something 99.999% of the players in the NHL can't do. If you put Palat on first line...Johnson needs a left winger. He'd be perfect on the second line - Drouin / Johnson / Callahan for example. Palat / Stammer / Kuch on first line. **** you Cooper and your god awful lines.

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Thanks for the insight.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But we need a forward we have deangelo already

DeAngelo isn't close to the NHL. He's been a healthy scratch twice this year in the A, possibly for disciplinary reasons. Can't see us calling him up until at least next year, and that'll just be to get his feet wet.

We need a RHD.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
DeAngelo isn't close to the NHL. He's been a healthy scratch twice this year in the A, possibly for disciplinary reasons. Can't see us calling him up until at least next year, and that'll just be to get his feet wet.

We need a RHD.

We need a goal scorer we can't score enough!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We need a goal scorer we can't score enough!

A quality RHD will probably do more for our scoring problems than a forward. Because right now, what we really need is a coach who won't have us regrouping in our own end every time we create a turnover. Or an RHD who can QB the powerplay, and hit somebody with an outlet pass.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
We need an NHL ready PPQB RHD ... still on his ELC to fit him under the cap for next several years. Dumba is as close as it gets ... haven't seen anything better offered tbh. I've been watching DeAngelo all season. He hasn't yet adjusted to the speed of the game on the PP. Taormina is running first PP group ... DeAngelo's passes are risky and get picked off and still likes to jump up on the play a bit too much ... he still needs to learn a bit. He is two years away from cup of tea.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00