Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Declarations of this year as disastrous, the contingent desperate to pull him out of russia and put him on our ahl team with no track record of actually developing players, and declaring his projection solved and he's a third liner at best based on a handful of games immediately after being a consensus top 10 draft pick qualify as freaking out in my books. And if you find repeating yourself 9 times to someone an "interesting conversation" that you're now unhappy was "interrupted" by a one liner, well, I can't help you there either.

Whatever dude. I didn't see anything like what you're describing, and now you've wrecked the thread by whining about posters instead of talking about the player. Do you have any opinions about the actual player?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
lol criticizing people who want to talk prospects and their development on the Hockey’s Future Board will never cease to amaze me.

dude this isn’t the message board to passively follow prospects. People have opinions and give them- that’s a good thing. This isn’t the “just sit back and chill and let them develop” message boards.

canucks fans have been burnt by 2 top 10 picks in very recent years... Pod is gonna be under a microscope any way you slice it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
To be clear, there are two different things here: The data about the league and the data about the player.

I don't think we have enough of *either* to be able to set a reasonable expectation for this player this year, unfortunately. If he plays 60 games there then we might have *something* but it's still going to be very wide, where, like, if he only has 20 points then that is bad and if he has 70 points then that is good but anything in between is going to be a shrug IMO.

And I don't think "quality" of the league is a one-dimensional metric as you want to boil it down to either, as we've discussed before.

Can we have any expectation based upon the data, reasonable or otherwise?

The contention here is about having a reasonable expectation with sufficient sample (ideal) versus a general expectation with wide room for error (it’s what we have).

I think that if there is enough data about the league to establish an equivalency, it is not an unknown variable. Perhaps a one-dimensional variable, yes, but still a variable nonetheless. Agree or disagree?

On the other hand, I do agree that there is an insufficient sample to make a reasonable assertion about the player. But this is going to be the case for every Russian player that transitions between leagues. Do we then just forget about projecting Russians at all? Even in a general sense, filled with error?

Mel, I think you know by now that I respect your intellect as a poster. I think it should be obvious. We’ve had tangent discussions about weighting equivalency markers differently, and about adjusting for improved league strength. It’s fascinating stuff and I like that we talk about it. Just know that before we delve further into this.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
He was in the khl last game

Yeah but played 10 minutes. I actually like this arrangement if I'm honest. As long as he gets his 5 to 10 minutes at khl speed in slowly increasing intervals, then gets to go down and play in an offensive role in an AHL like league, let's see if this doesn't actually pan out in his favour. WJC coming up, my money is on him putting up a hlinka like performance.

Reactions: sting101

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He is getting the best possible mentorship program by being eased into the best team in the 2nd best men's league in the world. Would rather see him have success and feel good about himself even if it's against lower competition than him playing a full season in the KHL with limited minutes/opportunities and losing his confidence.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Count me an as another person who likes the way he's being brought along. He's super young, so its easier being patient right now with his lack of production higher up. Talk to me in a year and then if he's still laying goose eggs in the K then I might get worried.

My pick at our spot was Boldy, as I'd totally forgotten about Pod as he had become a bit of an afterthought in the mock drafts. Boldy is not doing well at all right now in College. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but that helps me a bit with Pod having a slow start (at least in the KHL).

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ok sure we'll bring you in. I wasn't going to specifically call you out because you're not the worst, but you're no shining beacon yourself. This is going to be a hit and run though, because I have no interest in continuing to participate in the problem by bloating this thread with more theatrics than this.

"Key attribute he's missing no matter the context". Like 5 games post draft for a top KHL team playing 4 min a night, "no matter the context", jfc. Whether you intended it this way or not it comes across as dramatic.

Ridiculous, dramatic, stat watching.

Ridiculous, dramatic, stat watching.

I get as Canucks fans we're generally pessimistic and neurotic about any sign of weakness in prospects but this thread is bloated with hyperbolic hand wringing non-content. All these assumptions about what a handful of games mean immediately post draft are as premature as a kid his age at prom. Worse, it's hard to track what he's actually doing as any real content gets buried.

And now I'm out and back to lurking.

What are you even taking about? Absolutely no one is freaking out.

You have chosen to sensationalize negativity as alarmist rhetoric. When you really aren’t delving into the grounds for the critique itself.

First, I believe I am one of two posters to post multiple full Podkolzin games to these threads. Check my post history. To be sure, I have likely watched more of him than you ever have, or likely ever will pre-NHL. So please understand that I take your stat watching comment as a complete joke.

Next, he has sample games in all three Russian Leagues during his draft season and his draft+1 season. We are not limited to the KHL, where ice time is a major factor. There is still the MHL and VHL. As a result, I don’t think we should dismiss all league play as a mystery box. That’s the argument.

I’m hoping Mel chooses to pick this up again because the result may be more informative than anything posted within the last 10 pages of this thread, including your drive by post.

Last edited:

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
SKA-NEVA's next VHL game is on the 30th at 6am PST

SKA St Petersburg next game for the KHL is tomorrow at 8:30am vs Sochi, and the next one after that is on the 30th at 6:30am pst vs Dinamo Riga.

I'm going to assume hes going to play in the KHL tomorrow and his play will probably determine whether he plays in the VHL or KHL for the Nov 30th game.

Reactions: F A N and lindgren

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I mean.... its not that big of a deal if he's bouncing around the KHL and VHL since both teams are in the same city. Not like he's on the bus back and forth or anything like that

Edit: MHL too I guess ??

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What are you even taking about? Absolutely no one is freaking out.

You have chosen to sensationalize negativity as alarmist rhetoric. When you really aren’t delving into the grounds for the critique itself.

First, I believe I am one of two posters to post multiple full Podkolzin games to these threads. Check my post history. To be sure, I have likely watched more of him than you ever have, or likely ever will pre-NHL. So please understand that I take your stat watching comment as a complete joke.

Next, he has sample games in all three Russian Leagues during his draft season and his draft+1 season. We are not limited to the KHL, where ice time is a major factor. There is still the MHL and VHL. As a result, I don’t think we should dismiss all league play as a mystery box. That’s the argument.

I’m hoping Mel chooses to pick this up again because the result may be more informative than anything posted within the last 10 pages of this thread, including your drive by post.

A mix of small samples in different contexts can't just be stitched together to form a larger sample. The KHL data is useless because of his lack of ice time and the data from other leagues is useless because they are extremely small and because we have very few comparables from these leagues to form a baseline.

If a player somehow played one game in each of 100 leagues for the year, you couldn't just add them up and say look at that, I have 100 games of data! You would have 100 useless data points which sum up to one useless ball of nothing.

Data doesn't become more significant just because it's all you have. Sometimes you just don't have enough to form any conclusions and that's that.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
He's had one 40 second shift from the middle of the second to middle of the third.

8:40 TOI at mid of third.

EDIT: Looks like he only got 1 more shift for a total of 9:17 TOI, 1 hit, 1 SOG. Game is finished and SKA won 4-2

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm just not getting worked up at all about stats or ice-time in the VHL or KHL. I saw enough in the CHL-Russia showcase series to know that Podkolzin will be a force on the smaller NA ice. Just a question of 'when'.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
that is a fairly amazing stat.
It's ridiculous really. And should shine a pretty bright light on why production is hard to come by in a bad league that plays crummy non entertaining low skill hockey.

The low man on the list of 50 is at .914 We praised the pants off Markstrom last year for .912

It's wild.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I came across this tweet yesterday, and it may put some perspective on scoring rates in the VHL:

\\

So... players shoot the puck right at the goalie in the VHL? Float weak unscreened perimeter wristers at the net? Elite goaltenders?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad