Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
The dude hustles and gets into the dirty areas too well to have a low floor. Watching him, one would think he'd be at least producing here and there though.

I'm maintaining my stance that he's a complete mystery box and not going to try to analyze his production until he's done bouncing around.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Benning is a moron no doubt, but even a moron like benning knows that prospects need icetime to play and develop. This has nothing to do with KHL vs NCAA or whatever. If a prospect is not getting icetime, the management group should rightly be concerned.

Agreed; being concerned and being able to do something about it are completely different things.

also I disagree on the too risky of a pick comment above by another poster.

of the next few picks within a reasonable range the only player that is performing is caufield but his size is a huge issue(for me) and redoing the draft idk who I’d elevate to taking over podz

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Agreed; being concerned and being able to do something about it are completely different things.

also I disagree on the too risky of a pick comment above by another poster.

of the next few picks within a reasonable range the only player that is performing is caufield but his size is a huge issue(for me) and redoing the draft idk who I’d elevate to taking over podz

newhooks doing well... i wanted him over podkolzin but i honestly like what ive seen from vasili hes an absolute dog

Reactions: CanucksMJL

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
It's funny the only two guys that are exceeding expectations that were close to where Podkolzin was picked are Soderstrom and Seider. Both are players everybody on here did not want the Canucks to touch.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's funny the only two guys that are exceeding expectations that were close to where Podkozlin was picked are Soderstrom and Seider. Both are players everybody on here did not want the Canucks to touch.

Russian players are so hard to project. Everybody was raving about Kravtsov last summer and he's back in the KHL producing pedestrian numbers. I was actually super high on Seider.

Aside from his lack of production, it's hard not to like Pods. I feel he'll be the type of player with excellent underlying numbers even when he's not producing. He's going to be a player I think. For what it's worth the Canucks had Pods ranked 8th or something. It's obviously a bit disappointing to see Zegras making a smooth transition to the AHL. At least Boldy hasn't impressed.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I feel like I'm a bit against the grain here, but I like the idea of Pods playing in vastly different situations as a practice. He plays on different teams in different leagues but in the same city. There could be value in training adaptability as a skill. His close turn around times between leagues could help him really see the difference in that one move that would work in one league, may not work in the higher league.

Reactions: Sneezy

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The worry with Podkolzin is that he’ll stagnate. From what little I’ve seen, there a number of aspects to his game that are already NHL level: defensive awareness, backchecking, puck protection and board play.

To get to the next level, he needs to learn how to play with top6 linemates so that he can apply his strengths to complement and facilitate scoring.

Will be interesting to see if he can do so or whether he just keeps relying on the same strengths with little impact on the scoresheet. It’s difficult to say whether playing in Russia or in North America will make a difference in that regard.

It’s the difference between a complementary top 6 winger and a bottom 6 grinder. If it’s the latter, can see how we might lose him the KHL.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
He is in Russia for this season and next unless the Nucks make a deal so his development will continue as it currently is and I predict the posters here will continue to lose their collective minds. ;)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It’s hard to completely justify his lack of production, because he does so many things well out there. Mystifying.

I think he just needs to play in one league for a full season. He’s being moved around way too much.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I suspect we're going to get a heavier Jannik Hansen out of this pick, perhaps with a bit better vision.

I don't see his hands getting to the level of a reliable top 6 forward though. He'll be a valuable contributor, but not the guy we hoped he was. Hope I'm wrong though!

We all knew going that after the top 8 or so, it was a bit of a crapshoot - there was a huge logjam of similarly ranked players.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Russian players are so hard to project. Everybody was raving about Kravtsov last summer and he's back in the KHL producing pedestrian numbers. I was actually super high on Seider.

Aside from his lack of production, it's hard not to like Pods. I feel he'll be the type of player with excellent underlying numbers even when he's not producing. He's going to be a player I think. For what it's worth the Canucks had Pods ranked 8th or something. It's obviously a bit disappointing to see Zegras making a smooth transition to the AHL. At least Boldy hasn't impressed.

My point being that other than Soderstrom and Seider no else is lighting it up. All of the usntdp guys have not been that impressive this year.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"The bros" are the only ones cheering for this? Pro-tankers are what, ashamed that we have good rookies? Disappointed?
Disappointed in that we have a GM that can't do anything beyond amateur drafting. NHL rewards bad GM'ing via higher draft position. I question our player development (beyond those that are blue chip prospects like Hughes or Horvat; or non-goalies).

Reactions: vanuck and mathonwy

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Disappointed in that we have a GM that can't do anything beyond amateur drafting. NHL rewards bad GM'ing via higher draft position. I question our player development (beyond those that are blue chip prospects like Hughes or Horvat; or non-goalies).

Gaudette looks great now for a 5th rounder, Raffety looks very promising as a rookie in the ahl, Lind looks miles better than last season.

If you look at the amount of home grown talents we were able in inject into the nhl the past 2 years, it's actually not bad at all.

Btw, I dont think Horvat was considered a blue chip prospect by any mean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin is certainly a polarizing prospect. Draft watchers and hockey pundits marvel at his energy, combativeness and passing....but you'd like to see more of a payoff on the score-sheet.

He'll bear watching closely at the WJC, but his stats in the KHL and the VHL, the lower league in Russia, will probably continue to be pretty blah. Need to get him to NA as soon as his KHL deal is up, or even sooner if possible.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Podkolzin brings tenacity and aggression, he’s great in all 3 zones, is persistent in puck battles, and has good skill and IQ. He is a perfect complimentary winger for high skilled forwards.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Gaudette looks great now for a 5th rounder, Raffety looks very promising as a rookie in the ahl, Lind looks miles better than last season.

If you look at the amount of home grown talents we were able in inject into the nhl the past 2 years, it's actually not bad at all.

Btw, I dont think Horvat was considered a blue chip prospect by any mean

Horvat was drafted 10th overall - you don't consider that a blue chip prospect?

Reactions: racerjoe

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I suspect we're going to get a heavier Jannik Hansen out of this pick, perhaps with a bit better vision.

I don't see his hands getting to the level of a reliable top 6 forward though. He'll be a valuable contributor, but not the guy we hoped he was. Hope I'm wrong though!

We all knew going that after the top 8 or so, it was a bit of a crapshoot - there was a huge logjam of similarly ranked players.

I'd actually be very very happy if he has the tenacity, skills and career that Hansen had. He was a very important player for us, and was a fan-favourite for a reason.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Podkolzin is certainly a polarizing prospect. Draft watchers and hockey pundits marvel at his energy, combativeness and passing....but you'd like to see more of a payoff on the score-sheet.

He'll bear watching closely at the WJC, but his stats in the KHL and the VHL, the lower league in Russia, will probably continue to be pretty blah. Need to get him to NA as soon as his KHL deal is up, or even sooner if possible.
He won’t be coming before his deal is up. There’s someone else posted they need to get 18 months notice to buy out their contracts

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad