Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Surprised we didn’t sign him yet. Maybe not. Ya know when it’s benning at work, nothing is done properly.

jokes aside, are we signing this guy or what? or did Benning forgot about this one. lol.

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Surprised we didn’t sign him yet. Maybe not. Ya know when it’s benning at work, nothing is done properly.

jokes aside, are we signing this guy or what? or did Benning forgot about this one. lol.

He should be signed after the World Championships are completed(that's when his contract is officially up).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He would probably be better off with a year in the AHL
All guys would be better off starting their pro careers in the A. Pods played a year of pro already though. And in a league rated better than the A. He’s ready, and will be very good. I just hope Green doesn’t beat the creative skill out of him, and ruin him like he’s doing to Petey and Hughes.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He should be signed after the World Championships are completed(that's when his contract is officially up).
Yeah, sometimes teams release players from the khl to sign early, but there's really no reason at this point. Canucks will be focused on scouting, signing coaching staff, and re-signing players rather than negotiating with a khl team so they can sign podkolzin a few weeks early.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I want him to pan out but I think the fact that expectations have already been kinda lowered with him(most agree that he’s a complementary offensive player ) kinda speaks to the pick not being that great, compare him with Zegras(I know he wasn’t available), who people are hoping will develop into a 1st liner and the contrast is pretty interesting.

Reminds me of how expectations slowly fell for OJ/JV, and before I get crucified, no I don’t think he’ll bust like they did. Just an observation.

Lazy comparison here, but would people be upset if he developed into more of a Nichkushin type of player? Avs fans love the guy, he makes an impact all over the ice but he’s limited offensively.

I’m just sold on Podkolzin’s offensive ability, I like his game though.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
All guys would be better off starting their pro careers in the A. Pods played a year of pro already though. And in a league rated better than the A. He’s ready, and will be very good. I just hope Green doesn’t beat the creative skill out of him, and ruin him like he’s doing to Petey and Hughes.

Ok, what? I can see a lot of valid criticisms of the coach but he gave them tons of playing time off the bat and made Petey his number 1 C which was a fairly bold move. He will handle Podz just fine. He's not Willie D.

Reactions: bh53 and Fatass

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I want him to pan out but I think the fact that expectations have already been kinda lowered with him(most agree that he’s a complementary offensive player ) kinda speaks to the pick not being that great, compare him with Zegras(I know he wasn’t available), who people are hoping will develop into a 1st liner and the contrast is pretty interesting.

Reminds me of how expectations slowly fell for OJ/JV, and before I get crucified, no I don’t think he’ll bust like they did. Just an observation.

Lazy comparison here, but would people be upset if he developed into more of a Nichkushin type of player? Avs fans love the guy, he makes an impact all over the ice but he’s limited offensively.

I’m just sold on Podkolzin’s offensive ability, I like his game though.

His offense comes in waves it seems. If he can find that confidence and get opportunities I'm expecting a guy who can put up 50 points in his prime while doing all the other things he does. I'm hoping for a Burrows esque career. He's a 10th overall pick, rarely would that player end up being a superstar.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ok, what? I can see a lot of valid criticisms of the coach but he gave them tons of playing time off the bat and made Petey his number 1 C which was a fairly bold move. He will handle Podz just fine. He's not Willie D.
PETEY PLayed his first year pro in
SWEden, and so did HogS. POds will be awesome and a player Green William play a lot.

Reactions: RussianRacket

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
His offense comes in waves it seems. If he can find that confidence and get opportunities I'm expecting a guy who can put up 50 points in his prime while doing all the other things he does. I'm hoping for a Burrows esque career. He's a 10th overall pick, rarely would that player end up being a superstar.

I hope it's more than 50 points (obviously). It's just so hard to gauge what he might be capable of offensively. Usually a high draft pick like him will have spent the years before coming to the NHL in a 1st line roll playing with the best players on the team, with their junior team or college team, playing 1st unit power play, so their numbers look great, and it's easy to get excited about the player. Podkolzin has done the opposite in his lead-up to the Canucks, so far that reason I am going to reserve judgement on what to expect from him. He could be a 50 point player, but he very well could be a 70 to 80 point player, that will elbow you in the head (bonus).

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

I keep hearing this so called fact that the KHL is better than the AHL.

Reid Boucher was an All-Star with the Cup winning team racking up 48Pts in 51 GP in the regular season. His 17Pts in 21 playoff games ranked 4th in their Cup playoffs, while his 8 goals ranked #2 and his assists #4.
Last season (2019-20) with the Comets he racked up 67Pts in 51 GP.

Markus Granlund put up 53Pts in 50 GP and another 9Pts in 8 GP.

Brian O'Neill, who managed a total of 22 NHL games with NJ (2Pts) in his 4th NA season, put up 54Pts in 53 GP.

Justin Danforth, who never played an NHL game, put up 55Pts in 58 GP.

Andy Miele, who was a .87 PPG AHL player with 15 NHL GP, put up 44Pts in 55 GP.

Chris Wideman, who had a .63 PPG in 280 AHL GP, has put up a .69 PPG in 59 KHL GP this season with 41Pts in 59GP.

All 6 of these guys finished in the Top 25 in the KHL this season.
These are just a few examples of AHL players who could not make it in the NHL that have sparkled in the KHL.

They say the SHL is also better than the AHL.

Just as 1 example, Carter Camper, who played for the Comets in 2019-20 with Boucher, was an AHL lifer for 9 years. He opted for the SHL this season with AHL play up in the air. He recorded 41Pts in 48 GP with Utica and amassed 46Pts in 46 GP in the SHL this season.

AHL players with little NHL experience in their careers do very well in the so-called superior to the AHL European leagues.

Isn't the KHL the same league Reid Boucher just starred in? Not sure Pods is going to be a top 6 NHLer next season. If he is, what does it say about the decision that Boucher can't play in the NHL or does it reveal even more of where the Canucks are in the NHL?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen and Rydgar

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I keep hearing this so called fact that the KHL is better than the AHL.

Reid Boucher was an All-Star with the Cup winning team racking up 48Pts in 51 GP in the regular season. His 17Pts in 21 playoff games ranked 4th in their Cup playoffs, while his 8 goals ranked #2 and his assists #4.
Last season (2019-20) with the Comets he racked up 67Pts in 51 GP.

Markus Granlund put up 53Pts in 50 GP and another 9Pts in 8 GP.

Brian O'Neill, who managed a total of 22 NHL games with NJ (2Pts) in his 4th NA season, put up 54Pts in 53 GP.

Justin Danforth, who never played an NHL game, put up 55Pts in 58 GP.

Andy Miele, who was a .87 PPG AHL player with 15 NHL GP, put up 44Pts in 55 GP.

Chris Wideman, who had a .63 PPG in 280 AHL GP, has put up a .69 PPG in 59 KHL GP this season with 41Pts in 59GP.

All 6 of these guys finished in the Top 25 in the KHL this season.
These are just a few examples of AHL players who could not make it in the NHL that have sparkled in the KHL.

They say the SHL is also better than the AHL.

Just as 1 example, Carter Camper, who played for the Comets in 2019-20 with Boucher, was an AHL lifer for 9 years. He opted for the SHL this season with AHL play up in the air. He recorded 41Pts in 48 GP with Utica and amassed 46Pts in 46 GP in the SHL this season.

AHL players with little NHL experience in their careers do very well in the so-called superior to the AHL European leagues.

Isn't the KHL the same league Reid Boucher just starred in? Not sure Pods is going to be a top 6 NHLer next season. If he is, what does it say about the decision that Boucher can't play in the NHL or does it reveal even more of where the Canucks are in the NHL?
In-depth statistical analysis indicates the KHL is a much stronger league than the AHL, although the strength of the teams in it is less consistent.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think his absolute ceiling is what JT Miller is right now with better defensive.

So Mark Stone....

Now if that were true it would be a massive ceiling. Then again no one thought a 6th round pick would have that ceiling either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad