Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I honestly would like to see Podkolzin play with Petterson at some point... a large, net presence that can also battle in the corners when needed, may be a really good compliment for Elias. Obviously, this would take time to develop, but I could see this working well for both players...

Reactions: HockeyWooot

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I honestly would like to see Podkolzin play with Petterson at some point... a large, net presence that can also battle in the corners when needed, may be a really good compliment for Elias. Obviously, this would take time to develop, but I could see this working well for both players...

Podkolzin has a pretty diverse tool kit honestly. I don't see him as being elite at any one thing. His playmaking ability is honestly what intrigues me the most, and I think Horvat would benefit from that more than Pettersson. But we'll see, who knows who he will click with once given the chance.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Unless the Canucks really have no other wing options next year, I don’t really see Podkolzin putting up big offensive numbers or being put in an offensive position right away. I would predict 30 points on the third line in his rookie season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin, and for that matter Hoglander, certainly aren't your typical 20 year old hockey players. Both guys have spent at least a season or two in the KHL and SHL, two of the top professional leagues in Europe. So they're used to playing against men 5-8 years older than they are.

It's not unreasonable to expect that Podkolzin makes at least as big an impact as Hoglander, who's been a fixture in the top six since the first day or training camp.

No doubt they're two very special young wingers and something to hang your hat on in this dismal season.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

left off team Russia. I originally thought he made it. Turns out no.

Hmm it seems Russia is really cutting the cord with him. Not that he is better than everyone but most major countries bring young players for experience. Does not seem to fit into their plans.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
You would like Russia would be more accommodating to one of there top young talents but I guess thats not the Russian way

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
That's kinda good news. I didn't think he was playing at all the last couple of weeks. Usually somebody posts something. I have no idea what the Euro Hockey tour is. Is it a KHL level tournament?

Basically friendliest in preparation for the WHC between European countries.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Basically friendliest in preparation for the WHC between European countries.

Yeah, I found it in elite prospects. So I guess everybody takes it abit easy. Still, nice to see Pods leading the way in that group of 4, where he is going up against all star teams from the countries involved (outside of NHL players of course).

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, I found it in elite prospects. So I guess everybody takes it abit easy. Still, nice to see Pods leading the way in that group of 4, where he is going up against all star teams from the countries involved (outside of NHL players of course).

I think that calling them all-star teams is something of a stretch. It's typically kind of like a national team version of an NHL team's summer prospects tournament, kind of.

As far as I can tell, Podkolzin is the only former first rounder in the tour's top10 scoring, and Emil Pettersson is #10. Behind Podkolzin at #2 in scoring is a 24yo former 4th round pick who was a sub-.5ppg player in the AHL last year. Radan Lenc, 3rd in scoring, was like 8th in points on his domestic club.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I think that calling them all-star teams is something of a stretch. It's typically kind of like a national team version of an NHL team's summer prospects tournament, kind of.

As far as I can tell, Podkolzin is the only former first rounder in the tour's top10 scoring, and Emil Pettersson is #10. Behind Podkolzin at #2 in scoring is a 24yo former 4th round pick who was a sub-.5ppg player in the AHL last year. Radan Lenc, 3rd in scoring, was like 8th in points on his domestic club.

Ok maybe not an all-star team, but it looks like there are more of the better players from the KHL and the other top leagues in Europe. At the very least a KHL level tournament where Podkolzin showed very well, albeit it sounds like the intensity was ratcheted down a bit.

If this tournament was a tryout for the World Championships, it looks like Podkolzin did everything he could to stay with the team, but got dropped. That has to be disappointing for him.
#PLAYERTEAMGPGATPPPGPIM+/-
9.png
Vasili Podkolzin (RW)
Russia62681.3325
8.png
Radan Lenc (RW)
Czech Republic83470.8882
2.png
Jere Karjalainen (RW)
Finland83360.7521
8.png
Andrej Nestrasil (RW/C)
Czech Republic51451.0051
9.png
Vladimir Butuzov (RW)
Russia33141.3342
2.png
Vili Saarijärvi (D)
Finland63140.674-2
2.png
Teemu Turunen (LW/RW)
Finland83140.500-6
9.png
Yegor Afanasyev (W/C)
Russia32241.3302
2.png
Jere Sallinen (LW/C)
Finland52240.804-2
8.png
Michael Spacek (C/RW)
Czech Republic61340.678-2
2.png
Oliwer Kaski (D)
Finland50440.8000
9.png
Andrei Kuzmenko (LW)
Russia33031.0003
9.png
Rodion Amirov (LW/RW)
Russia33031.0002
1.png
Max Friberg (RW)
Sweden63030.5024
9.png
Vadim Shipachyov (C)
Russia32131.0002
9.png
Maxim Mamin (LW/RW)
Russia32131.0003
9.png
Dmitri Voronkov (LW/C)
Russia32131.0003
9.png
Yegor Chinakhov (RW)
Russia32131.0003
1.png
Emil Pettersson (C)
Sweden52130.60120
8.png
Hynek Zohorna (RW/C)
Czech Republic21231.5001
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Ok maybe not an all-star team, but it looks like there are more of the better players from the KHL and the other top leagues in Europe. At the very least a KHL level tournament where Podkolzin showed very well, albeit it sounds like the intensity was ratcheted down a bit.

If this tournament was a tryout for the World Championships, it looks like Podkolzin did everything he could to stay with the team, but got dropped. That has to be disappointing for him.

The Euro Hockey Tour is a series of short tournaments - that I believe all existed independently prior to being made into the "tour" in the ?90s? - played at various times throughout the year that the national teams sometimes use to get a look at some players on which they might otherwise not have a good read. I don't think it's necessarily directly a "tryout" for the WCs. The teams vary throughout the year; Russia, for example, used like 74 players for their 12 games. Interestingly enough, Lukas Jasek also played some games for the Czechs, putting up the same 1PPG as Podkolzin in his 3 games. As far as I can tell, the stats on Eliteprospects are missing one of the tournaments.

Obviously it's nice that he did well, but I don't think it's necessarily anything to read much into one way or the other. A comparison might be a prospect doing well at the Spengler Cup or something like that.

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Just like the Khl playoffs he is doing all he can. His only issue was production, which has not been an issue recently. He has risen his stock a lot since February. Excited to see what he does next year. I think he will be given a chance to play a lot and with top 6 players. I want to see him eventually on the pk not just the 2nd OP.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

That chart is misleading. Russia sent its junior team to 2 of the tournaments. This is where Podkolzin racked up all his points. If you notice, fellow juniors Amirov, Chinakhov and Afanasyev are also in the top 20.

Because of the current health situations, the only tournament used for serious WC preparation (by basically all countries) was the recent Czech Hockey Games. Podkolzin had an 1 assist in 3 games against the big boys.

Either way, he hasn't been cut yet. He's in Riga practicing with the team. Bragin is keeping 1 forward spot open for a potential NHL reinforcement (1st round exit). If nobody is available Podkolzin has a good chance of being included later on; depends on what the team needs (wing or center).

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
That chart is misleading. Russia sent its junior team to 2 of the tournaments. This is where Podkolzin racked up all his points. If you notice, fellow juniors Amirov, Chinakhov and Afanasyev are also in the top 20.

Because of the current health situations, the only tournament used for serious WC preparation (by basically all countries) was the recent Czech Hockey Games. Podkolzin had an 1 assist in 3 games against the big boys.

Either way, he hasn't been cut yet. He's in Riga practicing with the team. Bragin is keeping 1 forward spot open for a potential NHL reinforcement (1st round exit). If nobody is available Podkolzin has a good chance of being included later on; depends on what the team needs (wing or center).

Ok. Didn't have much to go on except the stats. It is confusing to see Podkolzin at the top, above a bunch of older KHL players, but it sounds like he was playing easier opponents, while other players were playing more difficult opponents? Anyways, I was happy to see his play-off performance in the KHL. Really want to see more good signs.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
As expected, Podkolzin was not in the line-up for Russia today as the WCs got underway. (Russia beat Czech 4-3.)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At his press conference, Benning said they intend to sign Podkozlin as soon as the World Hockey Championships are done.

The fact that he's been left off the team should make it easier.....and since it's an entry-level contract, there won't be much to negotiate.

The question is, where does he fit in with the Canucks? If he could come in and replicate what Hoglander did, it would be huge. The Horvat line has been dying for a winger for the last two seasons.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
At his press conference, Benning said they intend to sign Podkozlin as soon as the World Hockey Championships are done.

The fact that he's been left off the team should make it easier.....and since it's an entry-level contract, there won't be much to negotiate.

The question is, where does he fit in with the Canucks? If he could come in and replicate what Hoglander did, it would be huge. The Horvat line has been dying for a winger for the last two seasons.
Insulate him with foundational experienced all round ballsy players:

Podz Sutter Roussell

Reactions: Fatass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad