Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I think you may have misunderstood me. What I'm saying is that a large change in the length of your limbs and torso could take time to properly utilize to its capacity. Perhaps your newfound leverage and weight allow you to find advantages that your shorter version could never practically achieve.
Alex Ovechkin didn't suddenly grow 3 inches from his draft to his NHL debut. I'm talking about a rapid change in height and leverage that could take time to acclimate.
Bottom line is that I believe we agree. More height and relative weight/strength increase is nothing but a bonus. I'm saying that it could be an exponential bonus. It's just so rare that a player has a dramatic growth spurt of multiple inches after they are drafted. It might take that player a little while to maximize their new gifts in addition to learning to be a better player in a traditional sense.
There are only a few physical freaks that were also great hockey players that I've personally witnessed and they all dominated the game. Mario Lemieux, Eric Lindros, Jaromir Jagr and Bo Jackson. Ok, so maybe Bo never played hockey but holy-f***ing-shit was that guy an athlete. I know there isn't much to hang your hat on with the Canucks these days, so I'll hope for the hail mary on this guy until it sounds stupid.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The height thing is interesting. If he has grown significantly over the past 18 months he could very well be primed for a big jump in development. A big growth spurt comes with a commensurate learning curve. Remember we're talking about athletes who would be hesitant to tape their stick differently because it would change their feel. Getting used to a different body at his age, with his highly engaged play style could be very fruitful.
Yeah I agree.

I thought the height thing was eventually shown to not have happened but if it did it's a reasonable explanation of a delayed development curve and reason for optimism.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
It’s very good that we have a 19 year old prospect who is good enough already to play for the Russian National team. Podzilla is going to be a Calder finalist next season.

Wouldn't surprise me. I have a good feeling about this kid. He seems like a very motivated individual and when he actually has been given legitimate chances by SKA he's performed alright, especially in the playoffs. And even if he's not a star, the types of things that he brings to the table are in somewhat short supply on the current roster.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Highly doubt the league will allow him to play with bells on.
Just get him one of these pal

upload_2021-4-15_17-10-46.jpeg

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Good news he made WC team. Strange year he is demoted, a healthy scratch, a extra playoff forward, to team point leader and highest scoring U20 player ever in the KHL playoffs, to a member of Russian WC team.

The easy explanation is his team messed with him. Otherwise he has made one of the largest progressions ever seen in the last 6 weeks. From bench warmer to Russian WC team at 19. I am happy either way as he seems to have cut the cord from Russian team while still developing.

Reactions: F A N

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Good news he made WC team. Strange year he is demoted, a healthy scratch, a extra playoff forward, to team point leader and highest scoring U20 player ever in the KHL playoffs, to a member of Russian WC team.

The easy explanation is his team messed with him. Otherwise he has made one of the largest progressions ever seen in the last 6 weeks. From bench warmer to Russian WC team at 19. I am happy either way as he seems to have cut the cord from Russian team while still developing.

Yes, very strange sequence of events. It would be the equivalent of Jake Virtanen leading the Canucks in play-off scoring, It is flat out conspiracy theory, but I don't rule out SKA trying to convince him he's not good enough for the NHL, and demoralizing him into signing a new longer term contract with their club.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Excited to watch him at the WC. Hopefully continues his great play from his excellent playoffs. Having a top 6 player for three years on ELC is going to be massive with the big contracts coming to essentially our entire core.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I presume TSN will be broadcasting the WC's. Looking forward to seeing Podkolzin go up against some NHL level competition. I'm presuming NHL players will still go, or is that not going to happen.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I presume TSN will be broadcasting the WC's. Looking forward to seeing Podkolzin go up against some NHL level competition. I'm presuming NHL players will still go, or is that not going to happen.
After this season, I'd be stunned if any NHL players were willing to climb on a plane and make a 5-8 hour flight to play at the WHC in Europe. But then I'm sort of stunned they're even trying to play the WHC this year.

It's hard not to see how this tournament will be anything but lackluster as a lot of the countries' best players will be missing. As for Podkolzin though, the more competition he's exposed to the better....far better than playing games in garbage time for the Canucks.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Or it was that massive grow spurt he magically had. Now that he's 6'4" on paper :sarcasm: he needed to adapt to being a bigger raging bull.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

He didn't make the WC team; at least not yet.

It's a preliminary roster that also includes quite a few young guys who have no chance of making the final team. They're there for the experience.

Reactions: lindgren

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
After the playoffs he's had, I doubt that they will overlook him. Putting the team on his 19 yr old back twice facing elimination in a marquee CSKA vs SKA series, gets you noticed more than barechested Putin striding a horse on a tank streaking through space on a Soyuz rocket.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are we allowed to talk to Pods about a contract yet, or does that have to wait until May 1?

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I sure hope Podz doesn't play here this year.

I am an ardent fan, but, man it is time to write this year off.

Petey should be left out for the rest of the year. The Canucks should rest every player with any sort of Covid risk profile and spend the rest of the season giving our next generation experience.

I don't give a damn if we lose every game from here on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad