Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII

When will Podz join the Canucks?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Must confess I was one of those posters who lamented Podkolzin spending another year in the KHL, wishing he could come to NA. But on reflection, he's exactly where he needs to be.....playing in his homeland in his draft-plus-two season and showing continuous improvement. And if he plays in the World Hockey Championships, it's just icing on the cake.

This @#$%@ show in Vancouver would have done nothing for his development. Let's see what he's got in training camp next season.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Must confess I was one of those posters who lamented Podkolzin spending another year in the KHL, wishing he could come to NA. But on reflection, he's exactly where he needs to be.....playing in his homeland in his draft-plus-two season and showing continuous improvement. And if he plays in the World Hockey Championships, it's just icing on the cake.

This @#$%@ show in Vancouver would have done nothing for his development. Let's see what he's got in training camp next season.
I am happy how he is progressing but how has this year hurt Hoglander? He likely would have progressed as well over here.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

It's expected that a number 10 pick in 2 seasons after draft wouldn't have made our team any how. I think us fans just upset that he was bounced around leagues, not playing literally not playing and when he does play it's just 3 minutes or a few shifts, here and there, just overall not a good development plan of course he made the most out of it when he was utilized and was a key factor for his team when needed to be.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
It's expected that a number 10 pick in 2 seasons after draft wouldn't have made our team any how. I think us fans just upset that he was bounced around leagues, not playing literally not playing and when he does play it's just 3 minutes or a few shifts, here and there, just overall not a good development plan of course he made the most out of it when he was utilized and was a key factor for his team when needed to be.

I think 10th OA is about where you would expect a player to start getting games in their draft plus 2 year.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am happy how he is progressing but how has this year hurt Hoglander? He likely would have progressed as well over here.
Don't think it would have hurt him to come over. It does help the Canuck's cap long term that he doesn't begin his ELC this season. Hoglander's ELC begins already so might as well play him in the NHL if he can handle and he's done fine so far.

Reactions: MarkMM

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Yeah you can throw me in that camp too. When Pod was getting jerked around the MHL, VHL, and KHL on a daily basis and getting 3 minutes per game I was also lamenting his contract.

Now I'm looking at our front office and how Green has handled everyone except Petey and Hughes, and looking at Kaprizov and Panarin's development success, and I'm starting to wish Pod had another two years on his contract. I'm not concerned about him busting but I think Green will hurt Pod's ceiling.

It'll be fun to watch him here next year though.

Reactions: MarkMM

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I dont forsee any problems with Green (if he's still here) and Pod..For the most part, Green understands creative players, and lets them do their thing (Willie D was awful at this, screaming at young players returning to the bench..pointing furiously at his clipboard)

I'm betting that whomever is on Pods line is going to cash in on garbage goals after he's driven to net.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I dont forsee any problems with Green (if he's still here) and Pod..For the most part, Green understands creative players, and lets them do their thing (Willie D was awful at this, screaming at young players returning to the bench..pointing furiously at his clipboard)

I'm betting that whomever is on Pods line is going to cash in on garbage goals after he's driven to net.
Totally agree. Pods plays exactly the way coaches love. Green, or whomever our coach is, will play Pods a lot.

Reactions: deckercky

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Pods will be a complimentary type player, not a driver of the line. He will need a good passing center. At least that is the latest scouting info.
Language is always a concern, maybe if the team brings along Tryamkin he would be the best guy to help him.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Pods will be a complimentary type player, not a driver of the line. He will need a good passing center. At least that is the latest scouting info.
Language is always a concern, maybe if the team brings along Tryamkin he would be the best guy to help him.
Why complimentary and not a driver? He seems like a player that drives pucj procession. He likely will not lead good line in points. I think Hoglander drives a line where Boeser does not. Miller defn drives a line. I see Podz more like Miller and Hoglander as he forechecks and passes at a high level.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed, he will be a complimentary core piece...but he doesnt drive the play..?...Completely disagree..Thats the biggest part of his game...You must be thinking of a different player?

"Podkolzin is a player who likes to attack defenders when he has the puck, putting them into scramble mode as quickly as possible. Like Nils Hoglander, he creates space for his linemates by forcing defenders to vacate their own space."
Canucks Top 10 Prospects: Vasili Podkolzin's two-way game is nearly NHL-ready | The Province

He can bulldoze through a defenseman on his way to the net, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
A force to be reckoned with each time he is on the ice, his explosive skating and speed help him carry the puck with ease, Future Considerations 2019
He takes powerful strides to get up ice and needs only a few steps to reach his top speed, McKeen's Hockey 2019
He’s a complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player, Craig Button - TSN 2018
Very strong on the puck.. plays the hard way.. fierce but disciplined.. sound puck management.. possesses an effective move to his forehand, Draftin Europe 2018

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
If there's anything that Podkolzin does well, it's drive play. That's literally his MO and the reason his KHL metrics are tremendous. His biggest issue is offensive finish and he's actually quite a good playmaker himself.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
If there's anything that Podkolzin does well, it's drive play. That's literally his MO and the reason his KHL metrics are tremendous. His biggest issue is offensive finish and he's actually quite a good playmaker himself.

Yeah I would say that is accurate, i see a guy with a motor and playmaking ability in that draft oddly similar to hoglander (Both went 1 and 2 in 2019), but both need a finisher, they lack the elite finishing ability.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I have been throwing out the Landeskog comp since ....draft day. Its quite likely with the way we develop kids that if he doesnt dominate in the regular season right away, he would be a bottom 6 guy next year. Landeskog is a ceiling comp. I was watching Kakko play a lot this year, and I just want to throw it out here that I wonder if his progression would be similar. Kakko was horrible his first year, Horrible.... I dont think that will happen to Pod since he's not being trotted out as an 18 year old against pros. This year though hes a guy that dominates board work and possession shifts at a time, and plays kind of dies with him right in front of the net, either because he had incompetent bottom 6 linemates or he himself double clutches or simply did not know instinctively where the puck is going to go. Kakko's skating and shot are his weakness, the same two things we hear aout Pod's deficiencies. after 50 games, NYR is starting to see him figure things out and he is playing with Chytil and Kreider, occasionally being shifted to Panarin and Strome.

I think we may need a little bit more patience with Pod after the feast of talent dominating off the bat here starting from Boeser and now with Höglander. Pod's game wont translate immediately to N.America against stronger grittier competition, but his toolkit will be so refreshing to see develop here.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
As long as he gives that Hoglander/Motte level effort, which I think he has based on his play in the KHL He could put up 20 points in his first season and I would still be happy. The most important thing that you want to see in anyones rookie year is a good work ethic because you cant teach someone how to work hard. IE Jake.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
For those who are somehow envisaging a future with Greener as the coach: Green has a losing record, his teams have some of the worst statistical performance of any team in the NHL over the past 5 years, he has a history of confrontation with his young players (Baertschi and Juolevi, with some terrible outcomes for the entire franchise), he has turned players into plugs and only plays young players if they immediately play like error free drone-like bots while giving veterans nearly unlimited rope to make gaffs (Miller, Sutter, Meyers and more). He basically chooses favourites whether they are deserving or not (see Hawryluk or Motte on the second line; ugh), he views the lineup as 2 solitudes, top 6 and bottom 6 where the bottom 6 are simply asked to tread water and are interchangeable with AHL-level players.

For Podzilla to achieve his true potential, he may be best served by playing for a different coach.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Ah well i guess 6'1 is fine. Would have been nice to have a big stocky guy with skill who could play with petey to protect him. Especially is these injuries are going to be common with him (petey).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The proof will come when he stands next to Tryamkin when they're introduced to the media in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad