Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feb 20, 2013
This is generally where I am, too. I like the way he plays. I think he'll be an NHL player if he's willing to stick it out in NA. But even if you totally put aside any KHL stuff (politics! icetime!) he scored 6 goals in 45 games in non-KHL games in 19-20 between lower-level men's games and junior games. His ability to finish and his offensive upside has to be considered a significant concern. And people should probably recognize that - while this player still probably has 2nd line upside - he may very well project as a grinding defensive 3rd liner.

To add some context: That 6 in 45 was in a variety of leagues, mostly VHL and international play.

Here is a bit of a breakdown:
He is clearly too good for the MHL and scored 4 points in the 2 games that he played there despite only getting 15 minutes of ice time a game.
In the VHL he averaged ~15.5 minutes of ice time and with a shooting percentage of 8.6% over 17 games, one of which was in the playoffs. He had 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points.
In 7 games at the WJC, he scored 5 points (1+4) and averaged a team high (for forwards) 18:53 TOI even though he was the youngest player on the team, shot 6.7% and had 8 PIM.
He played 20 more international games, 18 of which were U20, in which he scored 11 points (2+9). In his two games with the senior team he did not score.
This year in the KHL, he has averaged ~10:00 minutes a game and has posted 4 points (1+3) in 18 games. He has shot a measly 5.7% (and has averaged only 5.4% shooting over his KHL career).

More points:
He has never been a prolific scorer outside of the Hlinka Cup after his U16 days.
His shooting percentages are very low. This is most likely just bad luck since he does possess a powerful shot, but maybe there is some other lurking scoring deficiency.
He has not played meaningful minutes at the KHL level, which explains some of the lack of production, but his production has not increased that much with a greater role in lower leagues. One interpretation is that a player has to earn more minutes by producing, but as Garret Hohl elucidates, deployment has a much larger impact on player production than you might think.

Where he has been given more minutes such as in the WJC, it has largely been on the back of his two-way play, which was especially unusual given his age (he is only 3 months older than Lafreniere) and Bragin's coaching methods. Despite being younger than most of his WJC teammates, he was big and well-developed physically, which cancels out some of the credit I would give him for his age, since maybe he is just an early-bloomer.
His advanced stats (in the KHL) are excellent, which makes his lack of production even more surprising.

Conclusions:
Every viewing I have had has left me impressed, but I have also had a lot of "lack of finish" kinds of thoughts. As much as that can usually be attributed to bad luck, at a certain point one does start to think there is a pattern to such things. I would love to see his on-ice shooting percentages if anyone has them.
I think he still has first line upside, but will almost certainly top-out as a complimentary piece. He is a strange sort of a non-traditional Russian prospect in that he is more of a physical board-battler and does not rely on elite puck skills. His game is probably better suited to smaller ice. He is also an analytical anomaly in that his traditional counting stats are not that impressive in cohort models, but his underlying play-driving metrics are very good. Point scoring is a very overrated skill, but a very good predictor of successful transition from lower leagues. His lack of production is concerning, but he is the type of player that can still be effective even when not scoring and he likely will be effective at the NHL level regardless of whether he does so or not.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t expect him to drive a line. So it’s good that he won’t be expected to do that.

overall game I like. But I agree that you want to see some more finish to his game. Like to have some confidence regarding his production.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
In my limited viewings, especially highlights where he generates a chance that doesn't lead to a goal, what he appears to lack is offensive timing. That is, he gets to the puck, has a pretty good idea of where he needs to be and where he needs to pass it, but lacks the requisite timing for it to all pay off. It's always a bit late or a bit early, or catches his linemate off guard or in a poor shooting position/angle.

My feeling is that this will always be an issue with him in that players either have that offensive 'sense' or they don't. But given that he does so many other things well, it's conceivable that he'll end up tallying up his points with a bunch of secondary assists on a scoring line by virtue of doing the little things right that help maintain possession/gain possession. And there's always a place for a player like that, especially if he can serve as the line's defensive conscience.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In my limited viewings, especially highlights where he generates a chance that doesn't lead to a goal, what he appears to lack is offensive timing. That is, he gets to the puck, has a pretty good idea of where he needs to be and where he needs to pass it, but lacks the requisite timing for it to all pay off. It's always a bit late or a bit early, or catches his linemate off guard or in a poor shooting position/angle.

My feeling is that this will always be an issue with him in that players either have that offensive 'sense' or they don't. But given that he does so many other things well, it's conceivable that he'll end up tallying up his points with a bunch of secondary assists on a scoring line by virtue of doing the little things right that help maintain possession/gain possession. And there's always a place for a player like that, especially if he can serve as the line's defensive conscience.

How much of that is a simple lack of chemistry owing to lack of ice-time with each set of linemates? It seems like the sort of issue that can be solved with a consistent role, some solid coaching, and linemates who can bury a pass or setup a shot.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
NO Covid for Podz thank goodness! Hes been sent down to the AHL of Russia! the VHL. Hopefully he gets minutes!!
Live stream of his game! check him out! #19 in Blue i Believe

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Playing on the 1st line.

Also on 1st unit PP.

He is playing the half board EP40 spot . Dominated during a PP. Team drew another penalty to make it a 5 on 3.

This is finally some great development for the kid

Podz and his team dominated the first period. Shots were 22-5 lol

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Sick play by Podz on the PP to show patience. He got the primary assist.

Watching him play he is definitely not a sniper type to me ,

he is a 2way, playmaking forward.

He is always looking to pass first before shooting.

When the other team has the puck he is a dog looking for his bone. just relentless

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

When the other team has the puck he is a dog looking for his bone. just relentless

Last edited:

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Just pulled off an absolutely filthy move in transition going from his D zone to an odd man rush shot chance. Can't wait for someone to link it, the move he made was incredible.

Feb 20, 2013

Dog on a bone is a good analogy. As cliched as it sounds, his compete level is his best quality. He just does absolutely everything in his power to win the puck on every shift. He blocks shots and doesn't shy away from contact in the corners or when driving the net. These qualities at least partially explain why he got so much ice-time as a younger player for Russia in the last two WJCs and why his possession metrics have been so good in the KHL.

That said, he is a bit of an inelegant player to watch. He skates with a really low, hunched over style, has a choppy stride and tends to look like he is on the edge of being out of control when he is carrying the puck on the rush (this might also be because, in true Podlolzin style, he puts 100% commitment into net drives). Despite his awkward stride, he gets around the ice quite well and seems to have improved his skating these last couple of years. I am no skating expert, but it seems like the kinks in his stride could be the type that get ironed out with coaching and as he grows into his frame.

Reactions: bossram

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

This is exactly why we would be perfect for Horvat at 5 on 5 since Bo is more shoot first himself

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
This is exactly why we would be perfect for Horvat at 5 on 5 since Bo is more shoot first himself

Could see him do well with Boeser too if you wanted to pair him with a legtimate trigger man.

Podz-Horvat-Boeser

Podz and Horvat can minimize Boeser's shortcomings on the defensive end.

If JV ever put it together and became that 30goals-20 assist guy we thought he could be then we would have an asboloutely beast of a top 6 for years to come.

Miller- EP40-Virtanen
Podz- Horvat- Boeser

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
SKA manger said a lot of interesting things about Podkolzin that doesn’t seem to make sense. He needs to “get in shape” and “work harder” watching the guy play this is far from the truth. The only point I did agree with is he needs to work on his shot.

Reactions: supercanuck

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I'm actually really happy he's been sent to the VHL. He's proven he can play at the KHL level (he did that last season, and excelled in a 3rd line role in the 2nd half + playoffs), but his role (4th line except during the Covid outbreak) has really limited his offensive growth/confidence. Playing consistent top 6 mins, and getting top PP/PK time will only help build his overall game long term.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
SKA manger said a lot of interesting things about Podkolzin that doesn’t seem to make sense. He needs to “get in shape” and “work harder” watching the guy play this is far from the truth. The only point I did agree with is he needs to work on his shot.

Yeah...based on most reports, he is relentless on the puck. Does not sound like a player who is not working hard.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Hope Pod wins gold in Edmonton and he shoves it in Bragin’s dumb face. 1st year with him off the bench would be fitting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On or about April 30th, 2021, this gong show in the KHL will be at end and he'll be free to sign with the Canucks.....can't come fast enough. I suppose the only thing that's positive about is that he's actually playing competitive hockey. For other junior and NCAA players next season is a great mystery.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Sounds like a bunch of politics wrapped up in cliches. Anyone who watches Podkolzin play will attest that his motor and commitment to defense (which requires hard work, as much as anything) are two of his best qualities.

As far as I'm concerned, Podz can't get out of that situation fast enough.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like a bunch of politics wrapped up in cliches. Anyone who watches Podkolzin play will attest that his motor and commitment to defense (which requires hard work, as much as anything) are two of his best qualities.

As far as I'm concerned, Podz can't get out of that situation fast enough.
This situation with his Russian team should make it all the easier for us to sign him, and have him in our lineup May 1st. Hard on Pods right now, but he will be stronger for it, and skating in the NHL soon.

Reactions: supercanuck

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
After a very good VHL game where he had 1 assist and more than 16 minutes of ice time on the top line and pp1 and pk1 , Podz has been called up back to the KHL where he will be the 13th forward for SKA's game.

FYI, SKA Neva St Petersburg ( VHL Team) is also playing at the same time today.

This organization (SKa) is really clueless on how to develop top prospects.

I'm not suggesting put Podz on the top line in the KHL,

What Iam suggesting is that these are crucial development years for young players, they need to play and develop. Keep him in the VHL if all SKA is looking to do is have him be a healthy scratch or 13th forward in the KHL.

Reactions: THE Green Man

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
LMAO he is dressed, but got 0 shifts in the 1st period!

Thought they wanted him to work on conditioning?

Imagine having a top prospect in the NHL and then giving him 0 shifts in the 1st period.

This would never happen. He would be in the CHL or AHL developing and playing lots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad