Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Post Media sums it up best.....Podkolzin needs to just 'soldier on' during this KHL season and then hopefully have a strong WJHC tournament in Alberta over the Xmas break. The fact that he's been a 'healthy scratch' for a couple of games is all about 'politics' not 'performance'.

April 30th can't come fast enough. At that point he'll be free to sign an ELC with the Canucks.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm kind of in the middle on this whole coach vs player excuse.

On one hand the Coach has no incentive to develop this player and is a top team. Unfortunately that is an issue for Vasily and not ideal. His lack of productivity in his minutes and an obvious lack of trust is a concern. We have seen many 19yr olds excel from this position in the draft in the NHL and his inability to impact a KHL team at this stage may mean we have to temper the expectations a bit

On another hand I think it's important to gather some context and follow along to this situation as it is still early to be overreacting one way or another. I'm not upset by his situation as i think it will test his mental and physical fortitude. I think SKA is as good a representation of a NHL team as he could probably get and how he deals with the remainder of this season should be a good signal to what his real upside is as a NHL player.

He obviously played his way off the kid line and has struggled to score goals. It's the same issue we have seen since his draft and without a few steps in the right direction we may have a player that needs AHL time and starts on a 3rd or 4th line while he adjusts to the NHL game. I had vehemently seen this player as a Horvat line mate and still do down the road but he may be more of a 35-50pt player once developed than a impact 50-65 player i was hoping for on draft day.

Lots of story to unpack yet

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am actually ok with this. it makes it clear he's not going to re-up with these guys, which is my biggest concern.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Disheartening to see how this season has gone.

Podz worked so hard last season while getting shipped around between 3 leagues, and receiving minimal toi in a 4th line role (KHL).... to eventually get promoted to a true 3rd line role in which he scored 12pts in his final 19Gp ( 8Pts in the final 15Gp of the regular season, and 3 in 4 playoff games), and looked to have found true confidence at the KHL level.

Now fast forward to the start of this season...the coach he just spent a year proving himself to is gone in favour of Bargin, and Podkolzin finds himself right back where he started (on the 4th line).

Then ~around half the team misses (5 games) time due to Covid, and suddenly he's vaulted into a topline role (which he's not ready for at the KHL level imo), and is expected to carry some of the youngest lineups ever dressed in KHL history. He does ok, but wasn't prepared for the workload (I feel he plays best in the 12:30-14:30 toi range).

Finally as the team gets healthy again, Podkolzin finds himself on the '1st' line, but isn't given PP time. Then Marchenko returns, and Vasily is once again demoted to the 4th line.

So, Podkolzin played 7 games in the top 9 (5 during the Covid outbreak, and 3 without PP time), but was only afforded that ice time due to SKA bening forced to play him there. Otherwise he's been stapled to the 4th line, and is now getting healthy scratched.

After the strong 2nd half he put up last season... it's being very disappointing seeing how thing have gone so far, and I can only hope he pushes through this adversity and possibly uses the WJC to rebuild his offensive confidence in the 2nd half.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Disheartening to see how this season has gone.

Podz worked so hard last season while getting shipped around between 3 leagues, and receiving minimal toi in a 4th line role (KHL).... to eventually get promoted to a true 3rd line role in which he scored 12pts in his final 19Gp ( 8Pts in the final 15Gp of the regular season, and 3 in 4 playoff games), and looked to have found true confidence at the KHL level.

Now fast forward to the start of this season...the coach he just spent a year proving himself to is gone in favour of Bargin, and Podkolzin finds himself right back where he started (on the 4th line).

Then ~around half the team misses (5 games) time due to Covid, and suddenly he's vaulted into a topline role (which he's not ready for at the KHL level imo), and is expected to carry some of the youngest lineups ever dressed in KHL history. He does ok, but wasn't prepared for the workload (I feel he plays best in the 12:30-14:30 toi range).

Finally as the team gets healthy again, Podkolzin finds himself on the '1st' line, but isn't given PP time. Then Marchenko returns, and Vasily is once again demoted to the 4th line.

So, Podkolzin played 7 games in the top 9 (5 during the Covid outbreak, and 3 without PP time), but was only afforded that ice time due to SKA bening forced to play him there. Otherwise he's been stapled to the 4th line, and is now getting healthy scratched.

After the strong 2nd half he put up last season... it's being very disappointing seeing how thing have gone so far, and I can only hope he pushes through this adversity and possibly uses the WJC to rebuild his offensive confidence in the 2nd half.
Do we know fore sure that Pods isn’t Covid 19 positive right now, and that’s why he’s out?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure I'm too 'disheartened' by Podkolzin's season to date. In my mind, he's lucky to be even playing. And the fact he's playing in a full-on pro league as a teenager is a bonus. Same with Hoglander.

"Disheartening' would be not having your prospects play anywhere. If Rathbone hadn't signed with the Canucks, he was facing the real prospect of not paying any hockey next year. And Aiden McDonough, who showed so much promise as a freshman at Northeastern, is currently in limbo with no guarantee of playing anywhere either.

And further up the pipeline, it remains to be seen what happens to prospects like DiPietro, Woo, Lind or a couple of d-men like Juolevi, Rathbone or Rafferty who would normally be starting another season in Utica.

So even though Podkolzin and Hoglander aren't exactly lighting it up right now, they're exactly where they should be at this point in their careers.

Reactions: Tv9924

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
To me, its imperative that he just get out of a political situation out of his control. Its less a "can he play on the top 6?" question, but more of a his game will most likely develop better in N.America situation. For now though, it seems everything hinges on how he performs this December, no pressure kiddo.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I haven't heard it's Covid related, but you never know.
With the number of players and staff who were recently
Covid positive, it might not be too surprising if Pods caught it too. He’s a coach’s type of player, so there is likely a fair reason for him to sit out. I’m hoping Benning has the cap room available in May to sign Pods, and get him over here.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Get Podz out of the KHL and playing in Utica ASAP, it doesn’t matter how he performs in limited minutes as he’s not going to be given opportunities to sharpen his skills in a politically run league with the coaches emphasis 100% on winning and no f’s given towards development.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm also in the middle here.

I get that his ice time is limited and his coach doesn't trust him/doesn't care about him but I thought his lack of production relative to his play was scary a while ago.

It's not as if his production at lower levels has been insane either. Every time I watch him, I too am impressed by his play driving abilities. I don't see glaring flaws in his defense, motor, or vision. I really like the way he plays but it's basically unheard of for a player to go from struggling to produce in a lower rate league and then figure it out and be the top line guy that was expected within a short time period.

I'm still optimistic but the blinders can't be put on here.

Reactions: forty47seven

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm also in the middle here.

I get that his ice time is limited and his coach doesn't trust him/doesn't care about him but I thought his lack of production relative to his play was scary a while ago.

It's not as if his production at lower levels has been insane either. Every time I watch him, I too am impressed by his play driving abilities. I don't see glaring flaws in his defense, motor, or vision. I really like the way he plays but it's basically unheard of for a player to go from struggling to produce in a lower rate league and then figure it out and be the top line guy that was expected within a short time period.

I'm still optimistic but the blinders can't be put on here.

This is generally where I am, too. I like the way he plays. I think he'll be an NHL player if he's willing to stick it out in NA. But even if you totally put aside any KHL stuff (politics! icetime!) he scored 6 goals in 45 games in non-KHL games in 19-20 between lower-level men's games and junior games. His ability to finish and his offensive upside has to be considered a significant concern. And people should probably recognize that - while this player still probably has 2nd line upside - he may very well project as a grinding defensive 3rd liner.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
With the number of players and staff who were recently
Covid positive, it might not be too surprising if Pods caught it too. He’s a coach’s type of player, so there is likely a fair reason for him to sit out. I’m hoping Benning has the cap room available in May to sign Pods, and get him over here.

'May' would be NHL playoffs so there would be no cap.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
what i see in pod is a guy who has the iq and tools to find time and space at the nhl level, plus an unconventional style that is intriguing, but, so far, not an elite scoring touch or nose for the net. what remains to be seen is what he does with his abilities at the nhl. i see a player who needs to be coached on what to do when he gets a scoring chance, but who has no problem getting them. he may develop the finish or he may be a guy who creates opportunities for others, but he won't be the first or last power forward to be outcompeted in lower leagues by smaller players who can still find time and space at that level of competition, but who completely disappear in the nhl while he keeps making chances.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is generally where I am, too. I like the way he plays. I think he'll be an NHL player if he's willing to stick it out in NA. But even if you totally put aside any KHL stuff (politics! icetime!) he scored 6 goals in 45 games in non-KHL games in 19-20 between lower-level men's games and junior games. His ability to finish and his offensive upside has to be considered a significant concern. And people should probably recognize that - while this player still probably has 2nd line upside - he may very well project as a grinding defensive 3rd liner.

Most realistic take on him right here. He's good, gonna be an NHLer but I doubt he lights the world on fire.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

double post - internet is being a bastard

Last edited:
Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
He’s a good strong forward, the question is will he be a top 6 or middle 6 winger. He’s very dependable in all 3 zones which is not usually the case with young prospects. He needs to work on his offensive creativity with more emphasis on creating scoring chances. His tenacity and feistiness is something that was lacking in our prospect pool and are great attributes. He has good enough skill and awareness to go along with his great work ethic to be in the top 6. He should be a complimentary, reliable, and effective top 6 winger. Nothing flashy but plays hard and makes the right plays.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes it will be a shortened season.

The NHL needs to be done before the Summer Olympics start in July
Excellent point about getting the Cup awarded before the Olympics. So Pods could play in the playoffs (assuming we get in, of course) and then be eligible for the Calder the next season?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I actually think this is the sort of player that could surprise in the playoffs and all of a sudden start putting pucks in the net. Intriguing. I think of all the prospects we’ve had this is the most difficult one to Peg in terms of where he’s going to be .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad