Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I wish it was only just one year. But who knows, maybe this super tough love will somehow work out for him? I think the small ice will help things anyway. He is the real deal as far as the legit skilled grinder. He will be a great energy player.
Might be like the case of Edler who seemed tailor made for the North American game (smaller ice surface).

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Bigger, nastier and more physical? Perhaps a little bit. But those are all areas where Podkolzin isn’t lacking. He’s been described as a physical specimen, possessing excellent physical attributes - a big, strong frame to grow into.

He has also shown a nastiness and edge that has stood out among his peers. He’s been given the nickname lion for a reason.

They also possess a ton of similarities in their respective skillsets. Excellent forecheckers, hard on the puck, good skill, vision, like to set up line mates, adept at taking the puck hard to the net, heavy players...

I see tons of similarities there. Whether or not Podkolzin translates to the NHL remains to be seen. But there is a reason this kid was seen as the consensus 3rd overall pick a couple months before the draft. Rare combination of size, nastiness and skill - the same reasons Tkachuk was so sought after, even without the production in his draft year.
Podkolzin isn’t a big player. A shade over 6 feet. He is average sized. Almost exactly. He is likely stronger and grittier than your average player though

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin isn’t a big player. A shade over 6 feet. He is average sized. Almost exactly. He is likely stronger and grittier than your average player though
He's about the same size as Raffi Torres, who played at 6' and 215. Podkolzin is already 195 at 18 years old, so could easily see him playing at 205-210. Nobody ever considered Torres 'small'...in fact he was a one-man wrecking crew at times.

For further comparisons sake....Jett Woo is also 6' and listed at 189. And nobody really considers him 'small' either. It's not about the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog. It's the reason I don't worry about Hoglander making the NHL one day. He listed a 5'8 but tips the scales at 185. He'll probably play at 195 or so.

All these players be 'short; but don't play 'small'.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He's about the same size as Raffi Torres, who played at 6' and 215. Podkolzin is already 195 at 18 years old, so could easily see him playing at 205-210. Nobody ever considered Torres 'small'...in fact he was a one-man wrecking crew at times.

For further comparisons sake....Jett Woo is also 6' and listed at 189. And nobody really considers him 'small' either. It's not about the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog. It's the reason I don't worry about Hoglander making the NHL one day. He listed a 5'8 but tips the scales at 185. He'll probably play at 195 or so.

All these players be 'short; but don't play 'small'.
I didn’t say he was small I said he was average size. He is. Just like I find it hilarious when folks talk like Jake is a big power forward. He isnt. Tkachuk is legitimately a big dude

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Anyone got a report on todays match in the Beijer Hockey Games?

Russia lost to Finland 3-0.

Looks like the Russian National Mens team brought the SKA ST Pertersburg kid line to play in this toruny

Podkolzin- Morozov- Marchenko

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I dont understand why people post stuff that is behind a paywall .
Are you looking to sell some subscriptions?
There is so much content on The Athletic that posting links brings articles like this to the attention of subscribers who may not have seen the article. I always appreciate the links. While nothing can come close to the cutting edge commentary of the HF community of posters, some may argue that The Athletic comes in a close second and is well worth the reasonable subscription cost.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pod will be the best player from the 2019 draft class. Buck it and book it.
Yep, I'm getting Vlad Tarasenko vibes with this pick....another Russian right winger currently listed at 6', 225 and a beast for the Blues when he's healthy.

Jack Hughes and Kakko have struggled a bit in their first years in the league. Podkolzin might be better built for stardom in the NHL.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
His play style reminds me of Horvat. Maybe more aggressive.
Yeah, I can see the similarities. He has a pretty unique mix of talents. Not super gifted in any one area, but very determined and a bulldog.

Although Matt Tkachuk might me an obvious comparison, he doesn’t quite have the ability to control the game or see the play develop like Mathew does. Still, he’s young, so we’ll see what trajectory he takes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podkolzin feature up on Canucks Army with video clips...seems to have turned a corner in the KHL....starting to dominate with his young line-mates for SKA St. Petersburg.....points and ice-time way up......tracking just about as expected in draft-plus-one season.

He's going to well worth the wait.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
so much to look forward to these days.... feels like 06-07, after we traded for Lu. Everyone flying, Nassy still producing, Sedins proved they are for real, young Bieksa and Kes, and Luc (RIP) waiting in the system... except we also have two more potential top 9 forwards in Madden and Hog. ...AND a #1D (Whaaaat!!)

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
There is so much content on The Athletic that posting links brings articles like this to the attention of subscribers who may not have seen the article. I always appreciate the links. While nothing can come close to the cutting edge commentary of the HF community of posters, some may argue that The Athletic comes in a close second and is well worth the reasonable subscription cost.
Not interested in your sell job its clickbait to me so please sell your subscriptions elsewhere please

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Not interested in your sell job its clickbait to me so please sell your subscriptions elsewhere please
Hey Jim. Take a hike. I don't get paid by The Athletic. I receive no benefit from promoting it. I enjoy its product. As do many, many others on this site. My post was in in response to the criticism that links to the Athletic should not be made because it is subscription based. I disagree. And guess what? That's my right.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Hey Jim. Take a hike. I don't get paid by The Athletic. I receive no benefit from promoting it. I enjoy its product. As do many, many others on this site. My post was in in response to the criticism that links to the Athletic should not be made because it is subscription based. I disagree. And guess what? That's my right.
Then please dont promote them by urging to buy subscription .If you want to purchase a subscription then by all means please do but please stop trying to sell me on the idea as im not interested.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Then please dont promote them by urging to buy subscription .If you want to purchase a subscription then by all means please do but please stop trying to sell me on the idea as im not interested.
Fair enough. Thanks for not escalating this further. I'm sorry I told you to take a hike. That was rude of me.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Fair enough. Thanks for not escalating this further. I'm sorry I told you to take a hike. That was rude of me.
Na man, you were right, he was off base to get offended by a link to the Athletic, and a recommendation is not like you are cold calling for a sales pitch.

Also if one was to follow the links on the vancast they have 40% off subscriptions...

suck it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad