Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for the info. With the KHL playoffs over by April and the NHL season likely going long into the summer again, I guess he could hypothetically join the Canucks for the stretch drive?

FYI re: " Long into Summer" i guess it just depends on your definition with that

but the NHL season has to be finished by July 23rd as that is the start of the Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
NBC and CBC have contractual obligations and rights to broadcast the games. Eventhough the games will be in Tokyo which would be different time zone than the NHL playoffs, NBC and CBC still have to replay the games on tv during prime time hours in North America to assure ratings.

So likely we are looking at a shortened season that will start in January/February with playoffs starting around
april/ May.

Id guess that Podz will join right at end of reg season or start of playoffs and it will just depend if the Canucks make it in or not for playoffs on how many games we will see Podz this season.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
FYI re: " Long into Summer" i guess it just depends on your definition with that

but the NHL season has to be finished by July 23rd as that is the start of the Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
NBC and CBC have contractual obligations and rights to broadcast the games. Eventhough the games will be in Tokyo which would be different time zone than the NHL playoffs, NBC and CBC still have to replay the games on tv during prime time hours in North America to assure ratings.

So likely we are looking at a shortened season that will start in January/February with playoffs starting around
april/ May.

Id guess that Podz will join right at end of reg season or start of playoffs and it will just depend if the Canucks make it in or not for playoffs on how many games we will see Podz this season.

Lets hope there will BE an olympics. Flying young people from all over the world to the northern hemisphere, then putting them all in a village.....

Reactions: I am toxic

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Why can't Podkolzin put points on the board? He certainly passes the eye test but once again he has a disappointing 4 points in 17 games in the KHL.

I have to agree that his production this season is a disappointment. Was hoping he'd double last year's and end up around 0.5ppg. Still very optimistic about his prospect however, just needs to be pencilled in the 3rd line as opposed to the 2nd line moving for the time being.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I basically have zero concern about Podkolzin's KHL stats. I'd be a lot more worried if he laid a goose-egg captaining Team Russia at the WJHC in Alberta this December, playing against kids his own age.

One thing's for certain. By April 30 the ink will be dry on his first ELC with the Canucks. Then we'll get a much better handle on where he's really at.

Reactions: THE Green Man

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
It's nice to see positive reports about his compete level, but pretty disappointing that he is regressing this year from a statistical standpoint. Don't really think it would be wise to throw this guy into our top 9 without producing well at some level first.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It's nice to see positive reports about his compete level, but pretty disappointing that he is regressing this year from a statistical standpoint. Don't really think it would be wise to throw this guy into our top 9 without producing well at some level first.
Well I completely agree it’s almost impossible to evaluate him right now. Very unfortunate

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The KHL is a joke with how they barely give young players any ice time.

I think it's an error to blame Podkolzin's entire offensive profile on his context over 3 years. At some point, he just has to produce. There are no more excuses for this kid --> And I've seen far more of him than most Canucks prospects.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think it's an error to blame Podkolzin's entire offensive profile on his context over 3 years. At some point, he just has to produce. There are no more excuses for this kid --> And I've seen far more of him than most Canucks prospects.
Hasn’t he basically been stapled to the 4th line during his tenure in the KHL?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hasn’t he basically been stapled to the 4th line during his tenure in the KHL?

No, last year they gave him more opportunity during the middle and back end of the season. This year, he's regressed or is being held back. YMMV

In any case, great talent finds a way. No coach can stifle it for too long. This may be part coach and part player, but it's definitely not all things outside of Podkolzin himself. He's not blameless here.

member 328930

I get weird vibes about this player. Some people have nothing but glowing things to say about him yet he seems to have next to no production. Will be interesting to see how he fares in WJC. Is he just being benched or is he maybe not developing like we hope?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No, last year they gave him more opportunity during the middle and back end of the season. This year, he's regressed or is being held back. YMMV

In any case, great talent finds a way. No coach can stifle it for too long. This may be part coach and part player, but it's definitely not all things outside of Podkolzin himself. He's not blameless here.

He's 9th among the team's forwards in scoring so he shouldn't be on the 4th line.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Podkolzin's ice time this season.

#1 12:15 | 0+1 | 1 sog
#2 09:24 | 0+0 | 0 sog
#3 12:33 | 1+0 | 2 sog
#4 12:57 | 0+0 | 0 sog
#5 09:11 | 0+0 | 0 sog
#6 08:21 | 0+0 | 1 sog
#7 06:40 | 0+0 | 0 sog
#8 08:37 | 0+0 | 2 sog
#9 18:29 | 0+0 | 3 sog
#10 17:48 | 0+0 | 4 sog
#11 15:01 | 0+2 | 1 sog

#12 20:27 | 0+0 | 1 sog
#13 17:16 | 0+0 | 6 sog

#14 11:48 | 0+0 | 3 sog
#15 12:18 | 0+0 | 0 sog
#16 12:01 | 0+0 | 2 sog
#17 10:47 | 0+0 | 2 sog

Has recorded 18 hits and 5 blocked shots, + 1 fight.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So 4 points in 215 minutes of total ice time and 2 points in his last 181 minutes. That’s ugly production, especially for a top 10 pick.

But that puts him ahead of Virtanen on our depth chart.

Because grass, fence, other side . . .

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
So 4 points in 215 minutes of total ice time and 2 points in his last 181 minutes. That’s ugly production, especially for a top 10 pick.

Still blows my mind that people dont understand how hard the KHL is. Its litterally the 2nd best league in the world and scoring isnt as wide open as it is in the NHL.

215 minutes yes, you just stat watching or did you take in consideration that 5 of those games where he got top minutes was beacuse 75% of SKA's lineup had covid. Which means Podz was playing with 18/17 yr olds in a KHL game because they had to call players up from the VHL/MHL?

I think the fanbase is going to be shocked how complete his game is already. I would take him on the team over Virtanen/Gaudette right now in the lineup.

RE: "ugly production"

for Reference

at same age as Podz

Grigori Denisenk0- 6 pts in 25 KHL games
Even played 10 games VHL/MHL where Podz is full time KHL
12 pts in 38 games in KHL in his 20 yr old season

Vitaly Kravstov- 3 pts in 11 KHL games
played 3 VHL hames before going to AHL in Hartford

Dennis Gurianov- 5 pts in 47 KHL games
7 games in MHL

Those are the most recent 1st round russian draft picks i can find that has simlar development league path

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Still blows my mind that people dont understand how hard the KHL is. Its litterally the 2nd best league in the world and scoring isnt as wide open as it is in the NHL.

215 minutes yes, you just stat watching or did you take in consideration that 5 of those games where he got top minutes was beacuse 75% of SKA's lineup had covid. Which means Podz was playing with 18/17 yr olds in a KHL game because they had to call players up from the VHL/MHL?

I think the fanbase is going to be shocked how complete his game is already. I would take him on the team over Virtanen/Gaudette right now in the lineup.

for Reference

at same age as Podz

7 games in MHL

Those are the most recent 1st round russian draft picks i can find that has simlar development league path

You are not really listing players who are top line players in the NHL

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
You are not really listing players who are top line players in the NHL

Thats because Denisenko and Kravtov arent in the NHL yet but they are most definitely projected to be top line or top 6 players.

You dont consider Gurianov top line material? 6'3 200+lbs. Killed it in the playoffs for the Stars. 20 goals in 64 games this year which was his first full year in the NHL. 23 yrs old.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Vasily had 8 min of ice time today while Linden Vey had 19 min in a lost to Goldobin's moscow team.

Can't wait to get this guy out of Russia

Still though, He is having a better development year that our other prospects who isnt even playing any organized competitive hockey right now

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

for Reference

at same age as Podz

7 games in MHL

Fact is he hasn't produced impressive numbers at any level. Didn't even crack a point per game in his 12 games at the junior level in his draft year. Expecting him to translate to the hardest league in the world and start producing right away without showing significant production in any league before is probably wishful thinking.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

for Reference

at same age as Podz

7 games in MHL

It's also harder to put up points playing 4th line minutes with 4th line players than it is with better players and 2nd line minutes even if the total ice time is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00