Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Sick Goal.

I was there live when Bure scored vs Boston in pre-season where he put the puck to his skates and passed it to himself, but this Podz goal is something else and next level. Podz 1 ups Bure because he passed the puck onto the defenders skate on purpose to richoet back to himself and get the goalie confused and out of position then fires it in.. Amazing goal!

That's a... charitable interpretation. Pretty clear he was trying to thread the needle to set up a teammate streaking to the net. This play really illustrates that we're dealing with a primarily pass-first player. A shooter would have used the defender and his teammate as a screen for a shot on net. Luckily it worked out and he regained possession. Although you could tell that the goalie wishes he had that one back.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
That's a... charitable interpretation. Pretty clear he was trying to thread the needle to set up a teammate streaking to the net. This play really illustrates that we're dealing with a primarily pass-first player. A shooter would have used the defender and his teammate as a screen for a shot on net. Luckily it worked out and he regained possession. Although you could tell that the goalie wishes he had that one back.

i disagree, i think the goalie was in disbelief that Podz pulled that move off.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This play really illustrates that we're dealing with a primarily pass-first player. A shooter would have used the defender and his teammate as a screen for a shot on net.

It's one play and obviously Pods isn't a KHL star. It's not uncommon for players to lack a bit of confidence and or defer a bit to others. He also might be cognizant of the fact that he was criticized last year for his tendency to look for his own shot.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
It's one play and obviously Pods isn't a KHL star. It's not uncommon for players to lack a bit of confidence and or defer a bit to others. He also might be cognizant of the fact that he was criticized last year for his tendency to look for his own shot.
Agreed. Although I’m not basing this on just this one play. Also there’s nothing wrong with being a power winger with playmaking ability. We had a pretty version of one in the early aughts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....I recall in some of the posts after the draft, people were expressing concern about Podkolzin's skating. But judging from the highlights at least, the guy has some explosive speed through the neutral zone. And he looks particularly effective when he gets the puck standing still, and has to get up to speed quickly.

Again, this is only a limited sample size of watching the WJC and the YouTube highlights, but it looks to me that his first couple of strides have dramatically improved as well.

Virtually an automatic 'add' to the Canucks starting lineup when his KHL contract is up at the end of next season. And any time you can employ a kid on an entry-level contract to be an everyday winger, it's like 'found money' under the salary cap.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Lol!....I recall in some of the posts after the draft, people were expressing concern about Podkolzin's skating. But judging from the highlights at least, the guy has some explosive speed through the neutral zone. And he looks particularly effective when he gets the puck standing still, and has to get up to speed quickly.

Again, this is only a limited sample size of watching the WJC and the YouTube highlights, but it looks to me that his first couple of strides have dramatically improved as well.

Virtually an automatic 'add' to the Canucks starting lineup when his KHL contract is up at the end of next season. And any time you can employ a kid on an entry-level contract to be an everyday winger, it's like 'found money' under the salary cap.
.. I definitely saw it differently than you during the WJr's...
He's got work to put it...
Good news - He's got 2 summers, a World Jr, maybe a World Championship, and 1.5 seasons of work in front of him.... I'm hopeful he'll achieve "automatic" status by then.

-Hopefully his summer prospect game schedule is a light one... more gym time...

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

And he seems like the type that can play up and down the lineup.

Worthwhile player for sure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And he seems like the type that can play up and down the lineup.

Worthwhile player for sure.
Absolutely true! When you can bring in a teen-age kid on an ELC, and ease him to lineup in a third or fourth line role, and not have him hurt you out there, then that's a huge bonus.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Are we seriously comparing this kid to pretty boy Pyatt?

Podzolkin doesn’t come anywhere close. Heck, many male members of this board were even enchanted at the site of Pyatt.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Are we seriously comparing this kid to pretty boy Pyatt?

Podzolkin doesn’t come anywhere close. Heck, many male members of this board were even enchanted at the site of Pyatt.

No. I was referring to power winger with playmaking abilities, Todd Bertuzzi. Left out the word 'good', which is why it devolved into a Taylor Pyatt reference.

I still maintain the best recent NHL comparable for Pod is Dustin Brown.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Ewww.

unrelated new topic: What could Podkolkin bring back in a trade?

probably not as much as we'd like, fans of all teams always overrate how valuable prospects are, there was a thread on the main board where an Avs fan said he wouldn't give up Alex Newhook + a 1st for Tomas Hertl :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Ewww.

unrelated new topic: What could Podkolkin bring back in a trade?
Brown was/is a perennial 55-65 point complementary 1st line winger that combines strong board work, net presence and defensive awareness along with being a pest with leadership qualities. I'd be elated if Pod turns out similarly.

Reactions: Kreator

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
probably not as much as we'd like, fans of all teams always overrate how valuable prospects are, there was a thread on the main board where an Avs fan said he wouldn't give up Alex Newhook + a 1st for Tomas Hertl :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Avs fans have lost their minds, although that is 2 1sts so not that crazy.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Brown was/is a perennial 55-65 point complementary 1st line winger that combines strong board work, net presence and defensive awareness along with being a pest with leadership qualities. I'd be elated if Pod turns out similarly.
Ok.. but just stop saying it. Gross.
2nd most punchable face in the NHL.
Diver. Don't care or respect him one bit.
The Giordano game was perhaps one of the most 'Justice Served' games ever.. Waiting for the Rat to get his one day. One day.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Brendan Morrow is a guy I've compared him to.

Reactions: Diversification

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I know this could just be a run of good luck or whatever, but if he starts producing on even a semi-consistent basis in the KHL (nothing crazy, but just a reasonable PPG for an 18-year-old), that would go long way towards easing my concerns about him. Because everything else he does screams that's he's going to be a very useful NHL player that can play a top-9 role for a long time.

Reactions: ChilliBilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad