Prospect Info: Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Pod reminds me a lot of Hall.

Remains to be seen if he puts it all together. But that would be a home run pick at 10.

I've heard this before. I think the Hall comparison came from his balls-to-the-wall style, straight line speed and slick hands
Back well before the draft there were rumors that he'd go 3rd overall. I think that it came out pretty early that he was going to stay in Russia for a few years which is why he fell. It would not surprise me at all to see him scoring multiple 30 goal seasons over his career. I don't think he'll carry a line like Hall, but he'll provide the sandpaper and grit on a top line while at the same timing keeping defenders honest with his speed and skill.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Granted I've only watched Podkiolzin in the Russia-CHL Subway Challenge games in Canada and at the WJHC, but I really believe his hockey sense and offensive instincts are being serious underrated.

At the World Juniors he set up numerous teammates with slick, seeing eye passes, but they couldn't bury them. If he can make those down-low passes in the NHL he'll pick up a lot more assists.

But beyond his offense, what sets him apart is his dogged pursuit of the puck......when he goes into a corner, invariably he's going to come out with the puck.

I think he's an example of a player who's game might actually translate better to the NHL.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Granted I've only watched Podkiolzin in the Russia-CHL Subway Challenge games in Canada and at the WJHC, but I really believe his hockey sense and offensive instincts are being serious underrated.

At the World Juniors he set up numerous teammates with slick, seeing eye passes, but they couldn't bury them. If he can make those down-low passes in the NHL he'll pick up a lot more assists.

But beyond his offense, what sets him apart is his dogged pursuit of the puck......when he goes into a corner, invariably he's going to come out with the puck.

I think he's an example of a player who's game might actually translate better to the NHL.
His stats are not eye-popping for a forward, I think that is why his offensive skills are being underrated. I agree with you that he made lots of nice passes, and should've gotten more points if his linemates can bury some of those tap ins.
Really like this prospect as he brings a different dimension to our future top 6, excited to see him in the Nucks uniform in a couple years.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I get more Hossa vibes due to his two-way play, but that's an extremely optimistic view of his ceiling.

If he approaches what Hossa was, I'd be over the moon. I don't know, I only saw the kid play at the 2019 WJCs at 17-and-a-half. I wasn't overly impressed. I keep hearing how much upside he has, and I do see him as an NHL player but not this special talent guys like Button see in him. I'm probably wrong because Craig's a much smarter person than I am, but I'll say this. He's not an impact player yes, but not a game-breaker. The best two things he's got going for him are his hockey sense and his body. I can't speak to his coachability or him as a person. I just see him topping out on the 2nd line and carving a career out for himself much in the mold of say a Curtis Glencross or Wayne Simmonds. I could be way off though, and I probably am but being the Irishman I am, I'll let it be known.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I get more Hossa vibes due to his two-way play, but that's an extremely optimistic view of his ceiling.

It would be cosmic justice if Podkolzin turns out to have a Hossa like career. The Canucks could have drafted Hossa back in '97 (?) but chose to take Brad Ference instead.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Astute video.

So just to highlight the message of this video: The creator MirokiOnDefense supposes that fixing Podkolzin's skating allows Podkolzin to play head-up, which then should allow him to be more dangerous offensively. Do people agree with that assertion?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
He’ll be getting a head start on other prospects as his team will play in a super cup tournament against other KHL teams In August.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Still think the Canuck missed out on Soderstrom or Newhook (even though I wasn’t too high on either predraft) but Podkolzin feels more like a mystery box (intriguing tools or not) and there’s only so many times his lack of production can be excused.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Season after next, when Podkolzin is with the Canucks, i'd actually try him on the right wing next to Jt. Miller and Pettersson. See if there's instant chemistry. He'll go hard into the corners and dig out pucks for his line mates. He' s also fast enough to skate with those guys too. Leave Boeser with Horvat on the second line. That depth will create some pretty nice matchups if Podz fits with Petey

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Still think the Canuck missed out on Soderstrom or Newhook (even though I wasn’t too high on either predraft) but Podkolzin feels more like a mystery box (intriguing tools or not) and there’s only so many times his lack of production can be excused.

Soderstrom is the one I was thinking about at the draft. Before the draft, it was Newhook if they had missed out on Zegras.

I thought Brackett would pick pure skill. That meant Newhook had to be in consideration. However, his upside was seen as a level below Podkolzin’s own, so I understand why Brackett rolled the dice with Podkolzin.

For Soderstrom, Podkolzin still had the upside edge, but both had lack of production as a concern. Tougher leagues. So again, just a shade better than the alternative.

IMO, that’s what makes this pick so intriguing. You can understand the logic behind the pick, yet he just doesn’t do enough offensively to cement his standing. And so, he leaves you guessing.

Whatever the outcome, I am content with the suspected thought involved. Beyond that, you’re banking on development.

Last edited:

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
His stats are not eye-popping for a forward, I think that is why his offensive skills are being underrated. I agree with you that he made lots of nice passes, and should've gotten more points if his linemates can bury some of those tap ins.
Really like this prospect as he brings a different dimension to our future top 6, excited to see him in the Nucks uniform in a couple years.
I have a feeling that if he pans out even a little bit he will be a fan favourite.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have a feeling that if he pans out even a little bit he will be a fan favourite.
Podkolzin might end up being a fan favourite on another team. Could he be sweetener to get rid of Loui, so we can sign Tofoli?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Podkolzin might end up being a fan favourite on another team. Could he be sweetener to get rid of Loui, so we can sign Tofoli?
Personally, I’d be livid trading Pod (regardless if it got rid of Loui) to sign Toffoli.

That would mean getting rid of Madden and Pod for Toffoli. For a team barely able to keep for a playoff spot, yet alone a Cup, that’s ridiculous.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Personally, I’d be livid trading Pod (regardless if it got rid of Loui) to sign Toffoli.

That would mean getting rid of Madden and Pod for Toffoli. For a team barely able to keep for a playoff spot, yet alone a Cup, that’s ridiculous.
I totally agree, but Benning has put us in a terrible cap situation, and the cap is stagnant. Benning has proven already he will do something to keep the team in the middle of the pack, instead of thinking of the future.

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
IMO, that’s what makes this pick so intriguing. You can understand the logic behind the pick, yet he just doesn’t do enough offensively to cement his standing. And so, he leaves you guessing.

Brady Tkachuk didn't have eye popping stats either, but I think they see something similar in Podz. Pods won't be quite as big, or ugly, but he's going to be a strong player that drives play and creates chances like he did in the last 1/2 of his season. You can totally see why Benning and Brackett thought the kid was worth the wait.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Brady Tkachuk didn't have eye popping stats either, but I think they see something similar in Podz. Pods won't be quite as big, or ugly, but he's going to be a strong player that drives play and creates chances like he did in the last 1/2 of his season. You can totally see why Benning and Brackett thought the kid was worth the wait.

The limited action I have seen of Podkolzin reminds me of Horvat, to be honest. Uses his frame well to protect the puck and battle in dirty areas, without being an outright “physical, hit em up” player. Has some good offensive flashes while also displaying a potential rounded game.

I’d be pretty happy with that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Didn’t the story of the Pods pick involve Bracket (representing his scouts) having to fight Benning to pick Pods? Not sure Pods was a Benning Guy. That’s why I think Benning might use Pods as sweetener in a deal to dump Loui.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Didn’t the story of the Pods pick involve Bracket (representing his scouts) having to fight Benning to pick Pods? Not sure Pods was a Benning Guy. That’s why I think Benning might use Pods as sweetener in a deal to dump Loui.

totally disagree. Find a team that will take LE, we hold half his salary, we certainly should not have to give up much, certainly not a 10 OA pick. What a waste that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad