Vasilevskiy Save of the game? Night? Year?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Can we talk about how unfair it is that Tampa has Vasilevskiy in the first place? Yes, anyone could have drafted him. But it's amazing how everything they touch turns to gold.
Vas was #19 in the 2012 draft. Plenty of teams had the chance to pick him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hard to say what he is at this point. Phenomenal start to 17-18 but really sucked down the stretch. Fine in the postseason and to start this season. Then an otherworldly performance last night. He definitely has the tools to become an elite goalie, he just has to get more consistent and not have a stretch like Jan-Apr. so for now he’s an average starter or so but the upside is clearly there and he showed why last night.

Wrong. Hes already elite.

SF91

Nov 12, 2015
Doubtful. Your defense looked no better than the Leafs last night and this physicality you speak of was nonexistent. Difference was pretty much Vasilevskiy and that's all.
Vasy was clutch no question- 20 softies still means many incredibles saves. But we shall see on the D physicality piece, which was lightning kryptonite against Caps and Pens in last ECFs. Leafs are generally soft and would venture that certain Leafs fans agree

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Pretty lopsided trade:

Downie for Quincey who was then traded for the 1st rounder that turned into Vasi.

He always was clear he wanted to play in the NHL, but I still suspect the KHL factor scared some teams away..

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can we talk about how unfair it is that Tampa has Vasilevskiy in the first place? Yes, anyone could have drafted him. But it's amazing how everything they touch turns to gold.

Wanna hear something else?

This is really gonna piss you off.......

Downie->Colorado for Kyle Quincy->Quincy to Detroit for 1st round pick

Then....

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Actually he’s probably an above average starter. Hard to say with some of the elite backups though. He’s 12th in GSAA among the 29 goalies with 2500 5v5 mins since the start of last season despite the diminishing returns of GSAA on goalies with extreme xSV% like Vasy. (Only Dubnyk has a higher xSV% than him among those goalies, and the only goalies in the top 10 xSV% who are top 10 in GSAA are Raanta Rinne and Varlamov). So Vasilevskiy could be a top 15 goalie but he needs more consistency for me to move him higher than that.

Reactions: The Macho Man

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Actually he’s probably an above average starter. Hard to say with some of the elite backups though. He’s 12th in GSAA among the 29 goalies with 2500 5v5 mins since the start of last season despite the diminishing returns of GSAA on goalies with extreme xSV% like Vasy. (Only Dubnyk has a higher xSV% than him among those goalies, and the only goalies in the top 10 xSV% who are top 10 in GSAA are Raanta Rinne and Varlamov). So Vasilevskiy could be a top 15 goalie but he needs more consistency for me to move him higher than that.
Lol. Never change Dominic.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Lol. Never change Dominic.
The interesting thing is that if you lower the minutes cutoff to 1000 Vasilevskiy drops to 23rd in GSAA despite higher ice time being able to lead to higher GSAA for goalies with a positive dSV%. This combined with the fact that only 15 of the aforementioned 29 goalies with starter minutes have a positive GSAA leads me to believe there isn’t actually much of a gap between starters and backups in the NHL.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Al Murray strikes again. The other big goaltending prospect that year was Malcom Subban.
I think there were quite a few mocks that had us taking Subban, but most recognized that Vasi was the best goaltending talent. First rounders on goaltenders is risky, though (see, e.g. Subban that year).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think there were quite a few mocks that had us taking Subban, but most recognized that Vasi was the best goaltending talent. First rounders on goaltenders is risky, though (see, e.g. Subban that year).

Yeah, I have vague memories of the same thing (the mock drafts), because I remember the pick being a surprise to me, since I don't really follow undrafted prospects, but I was aware of Subban (Canadian media). This was also before we realized how good our drafting was going to turn out, so I don't think Al Murray was a TB-fan household name just yet.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Tampa goalie played superb.But honestly when I look at him I wish a team would request a measurement of his pads or something .Seems so damn big in the net.:sarcasm:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Damn that wasn't even just lucky he was tracking that puck when it went behind him and angled his foot to scoop it out... I couldn't bend my legs like that if my life depended on it
My son is a junior goalie. He has mentioned before that Vasi has an almost supernatural puck tracking ability. I've never played the position, so I can't even begin to understand. Any former goalies here? How does he know exactly where the puck is, when it's behind him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad