Proposal: Varlamov to NYI

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
yeah I may not know what snow wants. But I'm guessing you know what your Avs GM wants I guess. So you know they would want to move a so called top 10 goalie? How is it I don't know but you know? hmm.

But whatever...it's useless talking about it. Because it won't happen

Yeah it probably won't.

And with the expansion draft looming, it makes sense that they are listening to offers for our goalies because we can't keep both of them either way.

Avs don't look like they are going anywhere in the near future so picking the guy who is 5 years younger might make sense if you can get something decent in return for Varlamov.

But hey. Maybe Snow wants to finally fulfill his dream of seein Jarome Iginla in an Islanders Jersey.

Or get back the great Blake Comeau. Or the great Johnny Mitchell (who was just on waivers).
How about another aging guy with too big of a contract in Soderberg?
How about future superstar Rene Bourque? He even looks decent right now...

The only forward that someone might want (that is not part of our core and could be available) is Grigorenko and his value is so low that it does not make any sense to trade him really and odds are that he will be in the KHL next year...

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Yeah it probably won't.

And with the expansion draft looming, it makes sense that they are listening to offers for our goalies because we can't keep both of them either way.

Avs don't look like they are going anywhere in the near future so picking the guy who is 5 years younger might make sense if you can get something decent in return for Varlamov.

But hey. Maybe Snow wants to finally fulfill his dream of seein Jarome Iginla in an Islanders Jersey.

Or get back the great Blake Comeau. Or the great Johnny Mitchell (who was just on waivers).
How about another aging guy with too big of a contract in Soderberg?
How about future superstar Rene Bourque? He even looks decent right now...

The only forward that someone might want (that is not part of our core and could be available) is Grigorenko and his value is so low that it does not make any sense to trade him really and odds are that he will be in the KHL next year...

Yup, the only dream Snow is going to finally fulfill is a nice long vacation on the unemployment line. Hope you find a suitor for Varlamov

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
You don't want him. Who knows what Snow thinks.
Varly is atleast a (big IMO) upgrade for you guys if you like it or not (and might be gettable thanks to the expansion draft) and he is the kind of goalie capable of stealing enough games to get you back into it and fool Tavares into re-signing if he can bounce back á bit in a new scenario. (he has looked great over the last 3-4 games).

Our available forwards are certainly not an upgrade. Especially if you are looking for someone to help out Tavares.

Yeah maybe it is something like that but I doubt that the Kings want Varlamov for this year only to lose him to the expansion draft.

Garth Snow has firmly established himself as a moron at this point, and I used to defend the guy. So yeah, I could see him doing this to make an upgrade, but you know the stupid part is that going from Halak/Greiss to Varlamov is not nearly as big as going from Bailey on JT's wing to a real 1st line wing. It isn't even close and would mean he is a nincompoop. Well, he is a nincompoop, so maybe that means it will happen. Got me.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Garth Snow has firmly established himself as a moron at this point, and I used to defend the guy. So yeah, I could see him doing this to make an upgrade, but you know the stupid part is that going from Halak/Greiss to Varlamov is not nearly as big as going from Bailey on JT's wing to a real 1st line wing. It isn't even close and would mean he is a nincompoop. Well, he is a nincompoop, so maybe that means it will happen. Got me.

I agree too, I use to define Snow as well. But he needs to go. To have Bailey and Clutterbuck as your top line wingers is a joke.

Even with that I don't see him that stupid going after Varlamov. But I could see him being very stupid and offering a king's ransom for a 39 yr old Iginla thinking we are only 1 player away. God help us.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I agree too, I use to define Snow as well. But he needs to go. To have Bailey and Clutterbuck as your top line wingers is a joke.

Even with that I don't see him that stupid going after Varlamov. But I could see him being very stupid and offering a king's ransom for a 39 yr old Iginla thinking we are only 1 player away. God help us.

Iginla has a NMC he does not want to waive and at this point I think every Avs fan would gladly trade him for future considerations if he did.

He is that bad and currently employed on our 4th line.

So I think you are safe in that regard...

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Iginla has a NTC and at this point I think every Avs fan would gladly trade him for future considerations.

He is that bad and currently employed on our 4th line.

So I think you are safe in that regard...

thank you, there is a God!!:handclap:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

if you can get something decent in return for Varlamov.

But hey. Maybe Snow wants to finally fulfill his dream

Listening to offers? With that contract and performance Varlamov is untradeable.

If Pickard is protected in the draft and Vegas wants to use a goalie draft pick, Vegas might take Jeremy Smith. McPhee said, Vegas will not take bad contracts.

But Snow could do COL a solid. It's always good to have good relations for a future job.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why are Islanders coming in here screaming at Avs fans saying "we don't want a goalie" or "we don't want Varlamov" or "You don't get it" ??

Tell that to the Islanders fan who started this thread, not the Avalanche fans who love Varlamov.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
That is not an incentive because if we want that we can just let LV pick him in the expansion draft.

And more than enough goalies have fetched a decent return lately.

See: Ryan Miller, Varlamov, Andersen, Jones, Lehner etc.
They might have been younger and cheaper (save for Miller) but the Avs would have to take back Halak in return anyways which would make it almost cap neutral for 2 years.

There needs to be an incentive or it does not make sense for the Avs.

1. Miller was still a top goalie with a Vez under is belt going to a team who thought he was the missing piece for a Cup.
2. Varlamov was a young, cheap goalie who had lots of potential but got pushed out
3. Andersen (see #2)
4. Jones was a high potential goalie who was stuck behind a long-term starter
5. Lehner (see #4)

The only one that is similar is Miller but I think Miller was regarded considerably higher than Varlamov at the time of his trade (numbers, awards, international play, etc)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Listening to offers? With that contract and performance Varlamov is untradeable.

If Pickard is protected in the draft and Vegas wants to use a goalie draft pick, Vegas might take Jeremy Smith. McPhee said, Vegas will not take bad contracts.

But Snow could do COL a solid. It's always good to have good relations for a future job.

That is complete and utter drivel and shows that you have not watched many Avs games since Varlamov got there.

Varlamov is certainly not a bad contract and I gladly surrender anyone on our roster aside from our coreplayers that have to be be protected (Duchene,Landeskog, MacKinnon, Zadorov, EJ, Barrie) instead of Varlamov.

He still is a Vezina caliber goaltender who has been in a bit of a slump over the last year but still is up there with the best of them when it comes to stealing games.

Vegas would be really stupid if they don't take Varlamov.

So no unless Snow gives up something good, I'd rathe not have him do us a "solid" in poaching a top10-12 goalie in this league with elite potential for free from us...

@ Brock:

There are not many goalies that broke into this league as young as Varlamov did.
He still is only 28 years old and has several Vezina calibre years under his belt (he really should have won in 2013-14).
I am not saying that he absolutely will land a 1st in a goalie market as bad (for trading) as it is right now, but he absolutely should get something of good value in return...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Varlamov is certainly not a bad contract and I gladly surrender anyone on our roster aside from our coreplayers that have to be be protected (Duchene,Landeskog, MacKinnon, Zadorov, EJ, Barrie) instead of Varlamov.

If Varlamov is protected Vegas might take Pickard, depending on his season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad