Proposal: Varlamov to NYI

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I'd try Varlamov+Compher+Butcher for Halak+Barzal+Chimera but doubt Isles would want to move Barzal. Probably be Varlamov+small piece for Halak+2017 1st(would prefer 2018 1st)

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I'd try Varlamov+Compher+Butcher for Halak+Barzal+Chimera but doubt Isles would want to move Barzal. Probably be Varlamov+small piece for Halak+2017 1st(would prefer 2018 1st)

Again, the Islanders are not going to give anything of significant value to swap Halak for Varlamov.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If we're not getting a 1st unconditionally for Varly I don't see the incentive. Young forwards are nice too.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If we're not getting a 1st unconditionally for Varly I don't see the incentive. Young forwards are nice too.

The incentive is cap savings to be spent elsewhere. You're not getting a 1st. Teams don't trade firsts for high salary goalies. They look to get rid of high salary goalies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The incentive is cap savings to be spent elsewhere. You're not getting a 1st. Teams don't trade firsts for high salary goalies. They look to get rid of high salary goalies.

That is not an incentive because if we want that we can just let LV pick him in the expansion draft.

And more than enough goalies have fetched a decent return lately.

See: Ryan Miller, Varlamov, Andersen, Jones, Lehner etc.
They might have been younger and cheaper (save for Miller) but the Avs would have to take back Halak in return anyways which would make it almost cap neutral for 2 years.

There needs to be an incentive or it does not make sense for the Avs.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Guess you aren't understanding. The Islanders don't want Varlamov. We have too many goalies as it is and have 1 real good goalie spect on his way.

We ONLY want forwards....we should close this thread about this trade proposal.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I own varlamov and wish he'd return to form. But I take away from reading this thread that the NYI are fine in goal and varlamov would be better suited in a place like Dallas or Calgary. Yes he can steal games but it shouldn't be all on his shoulders. Dallas would be a good fit sending back either goalie for salary plus a good pick.

Same scenario for fleury and bishop

Daggerlikehockey

Nov 4, 2016
I agree with a islander fan.

Unless the islanders are ******** their pants with ladd and his lack of production, its prob a forward. Coming back. I don't see halak moving and I don't see Joe moving varly .
Now if ladd is on the table things change,
But the islanders are prob looking for someone to get ladd going.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Unless the islanders are ******** their pants with ladd and his lack of production, its prob a forward. Coming back. I don't see halak moving and I don't see Joe moving varly .
Now if ladd is on the table things change,
But the islanders are prob looking for someone to get ladd going.

The Avs really should not want Ladd. That is such a bad contract waiting to happen that I would not take it for free.

And I disagree. Varlamov could be exactly what the Islanders need.
He has shown that he can be an elite goaltender in this league before. Greiss and Halak not so much.

And with the Isles window of convincing Tavares to stay with them longterm closing fast, an elite goaltender might be exactly what they need in order to mask those other mistakes they won't be able to fix shortterm (aka all those horrible contracts to second tier players)...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
As an Avs fan I appreciate you actually doing research and taking the team's needs into consideration.

In saying that I don't see any reason for Colorado to do this deal. They're moving a top 10 goaltender and they don't even get any cap relief? If the only plus added to downgrading from Varlamov to Halak while taking on Chimera is a 2nd round pick Colorado would be better off holding onto him and getting at least one more solid season out of him before losing him in expansion or trading him just before expansion to a desperate team who is able to take him on since cap space is more flexible in the offseason.

The idea is good, but the value isn't nearly enough for Colorado to trade Varlamov.

top 10?

price
bishop
holtby
quick
schneider
crawford
jones
dubnyk
luongo
lundqvist

which is varlamov better than? I didnt even include rask,murray,fleury, Rinne, gibson etc....

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

terrible for the isles. varlamov isnt worth a similar tender and a 1st

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
top 10?

price
bishop
holtby
quick
schneider
crawford
jones
dubnyk
luongo
lundqvist

which is varlamov better than? I didnt even include rask,murray,fleury, Rinne, gibson etc....

You are seriously underestimating Varlamov.
And Dubnyk? Really?

Varlamov is around top 10. (right now outside of it but we will see). If he can get back the edge he seems to have lost after having to carry this crappy team on his back for years, he is closer to top5.

At this point he is clearly better than Crawford, Jones and Dubnyk.

Your whole list is ... interesting.
Murray and Rask IMO absolutely belong in the discussion when it comes to top 5.

And Halak or Greiss are not close to being similar to Varlamov...

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
You are seriously underestimating Varlamov.
And Dubnyk? Really?

Varlamov is around top 10. If he can get back the edge he seems to have lost after having to carry this crappy team on his back for years, he is closer to top5.

At this point he is clearly better than Crawford, Jones and Dubnyk.

Your whole list is ... interesting.
Murray and Rask IMO absolutely belong in the discussion when it comes to top 5.

And Halak or Greiss are not close to being similar to Varlamov...

And you guys are either overrating Varlamov or underestimating Halak. They're not all that different.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
And you guys are either overrating Varlamov or underestimating Halak. They're not all that different.

When has Halak ever single handedly carried a team to the playoffs?

The Avs have been a terrible team for quite some time now (look at our corsi numbers) with only our goaltending masking some of our problems.

Varly hasn't had a good start to the season and wasn't as good as usually last year but he still is miles better than a guy like Halak who has bounced around the league and aside from one playoff run never been all that special on way better teams..

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
For those saying that Sakic wouldn't move Varly..

The expansion draft is coming up and either Pickard or Varly could be lost for nothing. I think the Avs are set on Picks as their long term solution. There's been rumblings that Varly could be on the move as well. Calgary was interested in him at the draft this year. I don't think Varly being traded is that unthinkable.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
When has Halak ever single handedly carried a team to the playoffs?

The Avs have been a terrible team for quite some time now (look at our corsi numbers) with only our goaltending masking some of our problems.

Varly hasn't had a good start to the season and wasn't as good as usually last year but he still is miles better than a guy like Halak who has bounced around the league and aside from one playoff run never been all that special on way better teams..

2015, winningest goalie in Islanders history (even more than Billy Smith). 2010, carried mediocre Canadians within one game of finals. Do your homework. He's not all that different from Varlamov.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
2015, winningest goalie in Islanders history (even more than Billy Smith). 2010, carried mediocre Canadians within one game of finals. Do your homework. He's not all that different from Varlamov.

Big deal. Varly won 3 more games the year before with a way worse team with a way better save percentage.

He deserved the Vezina that year.

Halak ? Pff..

I already mentioned that fluke run he had for the Canadiens. Other than that he has never been elite and always been on way better teams.

The amount of breakaways and high scoring chances Varly has faced on a yearly basis are sickening to Avs fans.

If Varlamov had been in STL, I think he would have had a cup by now in that goalie friendly system.

But yeah.

Agree to disagree.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If Garth's big move to staunch the bleeding is to trade for a goaltender (hahahahahah) then Islander fans might as well go buy a 5000 gallon 16 wheeled tanker truck, fill it fill of laughing gas, and dive head first into the top hatch and seal it with an arc welder behind us.

This is like Iceland deciding to import ice. And lava. And Bjork CDs.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Big deal. Varly won 3 more games the year before with a way worse team with a way better save percentage.

He deserved the Vezina that year.

Halak ? Pff..

I already mentioned that fluke run he had for the Canadiens. Other than that he has never been elite and always been on way better teams.

The amount of breakaways and high scoring chances Varly has faced on a yearly basis are sickening to Avs fans.

If Varlamov had been in STL, I think he would have had a cup by now in that goalie friendly system.

But yeah.

Agree to disagree.

I'm not agreeing to disagree. I'm telling you that varlamov is the better goalie, but it's not as big a difference as you think.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Again, you Avs fans don't get it. IT WON'T HAPPEN.

We don't want, don't need him. We are fine at goalie, in fact if you didn't already know. Snow is looking to move a goalie, namely Halak because we need SCORING, a FORWARD. Not to mention we don't have cap space

Get it?

A nice winger would make JT more happy, then playing with Bailey and Clutterbuck
Varlamov, has no value to the Isles. Just hurts there cap situation even more.
He makes more money than Halak and signed longer.

Varkanov has 3 yrs at $5.9 salary cap hit
Halak has 2 yrs at $4.5M salary cap hit

With all that sure we'll give you Barzal and or a 1st rounder too! LOL please

Stop the madness

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

We don't want, don't need him. We are fine at goalie, in fact if you didn't already know. Snow is looking to move a goalie, namely Halak because we need SCORING, a FORWARD. Not to mention we don't have cap space

Get it?

A nice winger would make JT more happy, then playing with Bailey and Clutterbuck

Stop the madness

This thread wasn't made by an Avs fan. It was made by an Islanders fan that's put 2 and 2 together.

You have zero idea what any GM is thinking. For all you know they want to upgrade on Halak and a F by clearing out Halak and a D and making some space to add to that forward position.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Get it?

Stop the madness

You realize this thread was made by an Isles fans and that the Isles have been heavily scouting the Avs recently for some reason ( we don't play against you in the near future).

We don't have any good forwards (or good Ds for that matter) to trade so Varlamov might make a certain amount of sense if you like it or not.

Or who else would the Isles want from the Avs that is even remotely available?

@ Chardo:
Than lets agree to disagree on the margin of the difference between the two ;)

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
You guys aren't looking at it from the Isles stand point. We don't want your goalie.
End of story. I don't know what forward they were looking at. But it's common sense. The isles are scouting all teams for a forward. Islander fans heard we were scouting and talking to the Kings too for a forward. According to reports, it possibly involved a 3rd team. Maybe it's your team. Maybe Varlamov goes to LA, we both get some form of players. I'm sure Halak is in the mix too. We have to move salary in any deal.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You guys aren't looking at it from the Isles stand point. We don't want your goalie.
End of story. I don't know what forward they were looking at. But it's common sense. The isles are scouting all teams for a forward. Islander fans heard we were scouting and talking to the Kings too for a forward. According to reports, it possibly involved a 3rd team. Maybe it's your team. Maybe Varlamov goes to LA, we both get some form of players. I'm sure Halak is in the mix too. We have to move salary in any deal.

You don't want him. Who knows what Snow thinks.
Varly is atleast a (big IMO) upgrade for you guys if you like it or not (and might be gettable thanks to the expansion draft) and he is the kind of goalie capable of stealing enough games to get you back into it and fool Tavares into re-signing if he can bounce back á bit in a new scenario. (he has looked great over the last 3-4 games).

Our available forwards are certainly not an upgrade. Especially if you are looking for someone to help out Tavares.

Yeah maybe it is something like that but I doubt that the Kings want Varlamov for this year only to lose him to the expansion draft.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
You don't want him. Who knows what Snow thinks.
Varly is atleast a (big IMO) upgrade for you guys if you like it or not (and might be gettable thanks to the expansion draft) and he is the kind of goalie capable of stealing enough games to get you back into it and fool Tavares into re-signing if he can bounce back á bit in a new scenario. (he has looked great over the last 3-4 games).

Our available forwards are certainly not an upgrade. Especially if you are looking for someone to help out Tavares.

Yeah maybe it is something like that but I doubt that the Kings want Varlamov for this year only to lose him to the expansion draft.

yeah I may not know what snow wants. But I'm guessing you know what your Avs GM wants I guess. So you know they would want to move a so called top 10 goalie? How is it I don't know but you know? hmm.

But whatever...it's useless talking about it. Because it won't happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->