Proposal: Varlamov to NYI

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I actually thought of Varlamov <-> Halak+ swap when the Halak news came out. I kinda like Halak too.

But like other people here, I would want a lil more back.

Varlamov for Halak + 1st round pick 2017 (top3 protected, if you win then lottery then it is 2018) + 4th or 5th in 2018 would work very well for me.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If the Avalanche trade Varlamov to the Islanders I do not think they'd want Halak back. They'd probably want one of the Islanders younger NHL forwards. Forward depth is a big weakness for Colorado. Colorado would have to take back one of the Islanders goalies not named Halak.

Varlamov is having a rough start to his season, but that's a small sample size, and he's shown in the past that he can (inconsistently) play at an elite level. If he benefits from a change of scenery, getting him for something like (Young NHL Forward)+2nd+Greiss could be a steal for the Islanders.

Young NHL forward + 2nd is too high a price for a small upgrade in goal. And Isles don't have cap room for both Halak and Varlamov.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I actually thought of Varlamov <-> Halak+ swap when the Halak news came out. I kinda like Halak too.

But like other people here, I would want a lil more back.

Varlamov for Halak + 1st round pick 2017 (top3 protected, if you win then lottery then it is 2018) + 4th or 5th in 2018 would work very well for me.

Sure it would work very well for you.

You want the Isles to give up a 1st and a 4th, and take on more salary and term, for a small upgrade a position of depth. Why would they do that?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Sure it would work very well for you.

You want the Isles to give up a 1st and a 4th, and take on more salary and term, for a small upgrade a position of depth. Why would they do that?

The reasons explained earlier in this thread. I dunno if I got greedy with adding the late pick to the deal. Varly for Halak + 1st.. I would pull the trigger.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The reasons explained earlier in this thread. I dunno if I got greedy with adding the late pick to the deal. Varly for Halak + 1st.. I would pull the trigger.

Sure you would pull the trigger, but that's terrible asset management for the Isles.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
the islanders are currently sitting near the bottom of the league and some people here are expecting us to move halak and our first for varlamov? What am i missing

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
remember when the isles aquired felix potvin he was supposed to help groom luongo :sarcasm:

thanks for the tip regarding isles scouting a few colorado games .

only thing that comes to mind is Iginla but I have no idea if he's ready for the glue factory or could he be a good rw for JT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
remember when the isles aquired felix potvin he was supposed to help groom luongo :sarcasm:

thanks for the tip regarding isles scouting a few colorado games .

only thing that comes to mind is Iginla but I have no idea if he's ready for the glue factory or could he be a good rw for JT

Iginla has a NMC which he has said he wouldn't waive. His kids are in school in Denver and the family is really happy there. I could see him waiving to go to a contender at the deadline since it's only for a few months but there's no way he waives to go to the Islanders.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
the islanders are currently sitting near the bottom of the league and some people here are expecting us to move halak and our first for varlamov? What am i missing

I don't think anyone really believes that the Isles will be staying down there especially after adding Varlamov.

To all the other Isles fans:

It basically depends on if the Isles FO believes your train of thought that Varlamov is only a slight upgrade or not. If they do then nothing will ever happen tradewise.

If they side with Avs fans and believe that he would be a huge upgrade, trading something good for him could make sense.

If you are fearful of giving up the first, I am pretty sure that the Avs would be fine with getting one of Barzal/Beauvillier/Pulock or maybe Dal Colle instead.

Oh and regarding Iginla:
He is absolutely and completely done. Take him for free if you want him.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
IMO, Varlamov would be a great upgrade in goal for a highly competitive team with no other holes. If offense or defense is a concern, Varlamov has proven to steal games for his team almost exactly as often as he single-handedly loses them.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Halak has been a better goalie then Varlamov over the last 3 seasons and it's not really close at all.

Also, Greiss is very good. Islanders really shouldn't panic about their goalie situation.

I'm saying this as a NYR fan, it kinda hurts :(

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Halak has been a better goalie then Varlamov over the last 3 seasons and it's not really close at all.

Also, Greiss is very good. Islanders really shouldn't panic about their goalie situation.

I guess if you are measuring goalie performance on something other than save percentage. I am not sure that you are familiar with their performances over the last three years.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I don't think anyone really believes that the Isles will be staying down there especially after adding Varlamov.

I don't think goaltending is the true issue with the islanders right now and doubt varlamov would save our season. Not a slight against him or anything but if im the islanders i keep my first round pick this year

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Iginla has a NMC which he has said he wouldn't waive. His kids are in school in Denver and the family is really happy there. I could see him waiving to go to a contender at the deadline since it's only for a few months but there's no way he waives to go to the Islanders.

at this stage of career Iggy might sit in the pressbox for a younger F on pretty much most ''contending'' teams .

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I guess if you are measuring goalie performance on something other than save percentage. I am not sure that you are familiar with their performances over the last three years.

Save % last 3 years:
Varlamov .916
Halak .915

GAA last 3 years:
Varlamov 2.39
Halak 2.44

Stats are not the most accurate way of judging goalies, but both of them really are comparable. They're also both prone to stealing games or single-handedly losing them. I do think Varlamov is the better of the two, but it's not much of a difference.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

To be fair, a Rangers fan would have a skewed impression of Halak. He has dominated the Rangers like no other team.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
As an Avs fan I appreciate you actually doing research and taking the team's needs into consideration.

In saying that I don't see any reason for Colorado to do this deal. They're moving a top 10 goaltender and they don't even get any cap relief? If the only plus added to downgrading from Varlamov to Halak while taking on Chimera is a 2nd round pick Colorado would be better off holding onto him and getting at least one more solid season out of him before losing him in expansion or trading him just before expansion to a desperate team who is able to take him on since cap space is more flexible in the offseason.

The idea is good, but the value isn't nearly enough for Colorado to trade Varlamov.

I thought he was talking about Varlamov. Who are you talking about?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't see how this trade works in the end. The Islanders wind up with three goaltenders and MORE cap salary when we only have a smidgen of room left. So that assumes another player from the Islanders would go, but who? And is Varlamov that much better than what we currently have?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't see how this trade works in the end. The Islanders wind up with three goaltenders and MORE cap salary when we only have a smidgen of room left. So that assumes another player from the Islanders would go, but who? And is Varlamov that much better than what we currently have?

Strictly my opinion, But the three goalie thing is an aberration. It exists solely as insurance for a Halak injury. If Halak moves for a goalie, Berube/Greiss will be moved elsewhere.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
at this stage of career Iggy might sit in the pressbox for a younger F on pretty much most ''contending'' teams .

Iggy should be sitting in the press box if he's a member of any NHL team but that won't make him accept a trade any easier.

I thought he was talking about Varlamov. Who are you talking about?

He was just voted as the 10th best goaltender in the NHL by the members of this website about a week ago. Doesn't mean it's right but it shows that it's the area where fans judge him.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Oh, the fans of THIS site? Well then... Why didn't you say so?

Hold on, I'm going to go check the latest Bozak for Crosby trade proposal thread...

Physt

Apr 3, 2015
IMO, Varlamov would be a great upgrade in goal for a highly competitive team with no other holes. If offense or defense is a concern, Varlamov has proven to steal games for his team almost exactly as often as he single-handedly loses them.

Sounds familiar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad