TBN: Vanek for Seguin almost happened?

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I am just saying that if we get the chance to trade for a top 2 overall pick, we should really consider going for it and not rely on finishing bottom 2+ years in a row. It's a silly thing to put all hope in.

I put the chances of a team trading out of the top 2 next to 0%. The only way a team trades out of the top 2 is with a team not knowing they did so - see NYI.

Edit: And I read it wrong. Trading for a top 2 pick player and not the actual pick. Nevermind.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Fair enough, it's disturbing how many people would rather suck and hope for McDavid then trade for a top 2 pick (like Seguin) and try and improve sooner.

Ah, you're saying specifically Seguin. Didn't realize that.

My point there is that the opportunity cost for Seguin might not have been 1 pick of his caliber, but three (counting the NYI pick). 3 elite guys > just effectively replacing Vanek alone.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Being able to get an elite young center is worth a lot more than a 1st pick. Don't know all the circumstances but how many 2nd picks becomes elite centers in the nhl? McDavid might turn out great of course but its hard to tell with the general decline of Canada's youth program.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Fair enough, it's disturbing how many people would rather suck and hope for McDavid then trade for a top 2 pick (like Seguin) and try and improve sooner.

The reality was at the time of the trade, Seguin was floundering in Boston. He was nowhere near the superstar he's turning out to be in Dallas. In hindsight it's always easier to say "why didn't you do that trade?" when a player excels after the fact.

Seguin would be a nice get. But at that time the asking price seemed to be steep. I have no doubt that "NHL ready player" was Girgensons.

We need to build the new core first before we consider trades like the Sequin one.

I'm all on board with what we're doing now. I'm liking the prospect of getting NYI 1st pick on one of the next two drafts. That and I'm sure we can flip Moulson too if need be.

Dwelling on what Regier should have done is a waste at this point.

Last edited:

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Vanek was NOT going to Boston

After too many times listening to Darcy Regier, and too many years watching him in action, I simply can not believe that he would have sent Thomas Vanek to Boston. The thought of Vanek hoisting the Cup for the Bruins would have discouraged him from sending him to Boston, regardless of the details of any proffered trade.

In my opinion, Regier was beyond delighted to be able to send Vanek to the Islanders.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
After too many times listening to Darcy Regier, and too many years watching him in action, I simply can not believe that he would have sent Thomas Vanek to Boston. The thought of Vanek hoisting the Cup for the Bruins would have discouraged him from sending him to Boston, regardless of the details of any proffered trade.

In my opinion, Regier was beyond delighted to be able to send Vanek to the Islanders.

Why would Regier care? Vanek could just sign with Boston the next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i still havent gotten over Regier turning down Sobotka in a straight up deal for Paille, instead preferring to take the picks... because... Tim Kennedy...

I thought it was Marchand instead of Sobotka, granted, long before Marchand became King Rat.

*shrug*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad