TBN: Vanek for Seguin almost happened?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Boston discussed a Vanek for Seguin trade

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2014/02/sabres-bruins-discussed-a-vanek-for-seguin-trade.html

The Sabres and Bruins discussed a trade package that would have sent Vanek to Boston in exchange for center Tyler Seguin, multiple sources told The Buffalo News today. It's not clear why the talks, which took place at the June draft, didn't result in a deal, but it is known the Bruins were seeking another NHL-ready player off the Sabres' roster.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
IMO, "NHL-ready" means young roster player, not NHL'ers like Sekera or Myers.

Girgensons maybe? I'm thinking of who we have in the system that's similar to Reilly Smith (the kid that the B's got in the Dallas deal).....and Girgensons is probably the closest.

Doubt they would have settled for a guy like Luke Adam.

Who else do we have that would be considered "NHL-ready" and not already be in the NHL? Or have limited NHL experience? Foligno?

Although Vogl does say PLAYER.....so I wonder if it was a guy like Pysyk?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I can only think of Girgensons and Foligno, possibly Luke Adam as a sweetener. I probably wouldnt do it either.

Think about it, Darcy is dead set on tanking, so he knows he will be able to add a center. Why get rid of players you probably consider glue type players of the future for a talented but underachieving player. I am fine with what Darcy got for Vanek straight up.

omglolnub

Jun 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It'd be kind of a lateral move, but Seguin's a center. A trade a few years early, imho. Would hurt the tank...it's a trade to do on the upswing...

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
It'd be kind of a lateral move, but Seguin's a center. A trade a few years early, imho. Would hurt the tank...it's a trade to do on the upswing...

Do it on the upswing? They would have locked up a 22-year-old first-line center that would be in his prime when the team conceivably is good again in a few years. They would have also had a guy as good (if not better) than Reinhart but four years further along in development. That's the kind of move you do at any point in a rebuild, early or not.

I don't know what the other piece was, or why the deal fell apart, so I'm not going to ride Regier for it not happening. But I don't get the "would have hurt the tank" crowd on here. Adding a 22-year-old stud is really good for a rebuild.

The kid might have a penchant for booze, but damn, he's a fine player.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If the Vanek trade that did happen wasn't so damned good, this would almost make me mad.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Hate it when the media pulls this crap. It didn't happen, and not knowing what the additional ask was...what the heck is the point?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
i still havent gotten over Regier turning down Sobotka in a straight up deal for Paille, instead preferring to take the picks... because... Tim Kennedy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad